grim22

Dolittle | Jan 17 2020 | Universal | 16% RT | Winner of the Kids Choice Award!

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I can't imagine the marketing budget for this was very high given how relatively (do)little promotion there's been for it so I guess good for Universal in at least cutting some of their potential losses.

i feel lots of these puns coming! :lol:

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I can't imagine the marketing budget for this was very high given how relatively (do)little promotion there's been for it so I guess good for Universal in at least cutting some of their potential losses.

They learned their lesson with "Battleship" where they threw away 100 Million dollars in a last ditch marketing campaign to save a film that many execs privately had no faith in.

And the more I read about the making of this..the worse..or the better..it gets. Apparently reshoots were done by a number of different directors on this.

And Gaghan was a bizarre choice as director/writer for this anyway. He is best known for heavy dark dramas like "Traffic" (admittedly a very good movie)

and "Syriana". Does not exactly scream "fun kids movie" director to me.

Now I am looking forward to when the whole story of the making of this fiasco comes out.

The more I think about it the more I think the fatal error was choosing the wrong director for this material. Gaghan  has been involved in some very good films, but they have all been heavy, dark dramas. Nothing in his resume as writer or director to suggest he could handle a light fun fantasy film.

And aside from that, all his films as a director..and he had only done three or four... have been pretty small budgeted films. Nothing to show he can handle a budget this big regardless of subject matter. That is a double whammy as to why he was not a good choice for this.

Just puzzling why choose him for such an expensive project rather then a writer director who at least has shown he can handle this kind of material.

Edited by dudalb

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

Unless it’s getting help from OS that’s not happening cause the domestic tracking thread for it look really bad 

And even if it does 200 Million...and I think it won't come close to that....given it's 175 plus budget it will still lose over 100 Million ...a lot more then what "Cats" is going to lose.

I love it when people ignore a film budget's in these discussions...…

I think Universal execs are going to have some explaining to do at the next stockholders meeting...….

Edited by dudalb
  • Thanks 1

Those reviews make Cats look like Casablanca.

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

Unless it’s getting help from OS that’s not happening cause the domestic tracking thread for it look really bad 

It's doing fine in SK, if the reception is similar in China then $200M WW will be easy. But it doesn't always work that way.

• Like 1