grim22

Dolittle | Jan 17 2020 | Universal | 16% RT | Winner of the Kids Choice Award!

22 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

RDJ's actual quote about indies. he isn't wrong. his take on them is much more realsitic and much less romanticized:

“No,” said Downey Jr. “Because they’re exhausting and sometimes they suck and then you just go, ‘What was I thinking?’

“But I’m interested in doing all different kinds of movies. Sometimes the little movies are the ones that wind up taking the most out of you because they’re like, ‘Hey, man, we’re just running a couple of days behind. Do you think you can stay through your birthday and then come back on the fourth of July? And, by the way, like the crew – can you pay for the craft services?’”

“‘And, oh, by the way, man, when we go to Sundance, it’s like, can we just sit you in a chair and you can sell this for six days in a row so that we’ll make 180 bucks when it opens in one theater? God, this is so powerful what we’re doing. What do you think of the movie? You saw it last night?’”

“I thought it’s mediocre.”

“‘Yeah, isn’t it the greatest? Man, everyone’s an artist here.’”

“Actually, most of you are kind of inexperienced and lame.”

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/may/01/robert-downey-jr-indie-movies-exhausting-and-sometimes-suck

Most of the films are kind of inexperienced and lame  (no matter it is a studio film or indie film)

In recent years, most of RDJ's non-Marvel films are lame, like "The Judge" and "Dolittle"

"Dolittle" will be a very high-profile flop. It will harm RDJ career more than a low-profile indie.

Edited by John2015

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Downey's production company just got a first look deal with HBO Max: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/team-downey-inks-hbo-first-look-deal-1269251

Seems like Downey will be doing fine. But I'm personally more interested in seeing Chris Evans post-Marvel career.

The deal is for TV/streaming projects.

35 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

i would not worry about RDJ. he is talented and will find something good. No comparison with Depp at all who took a long time to neuter his career and plus his craziness off screen as well. I agree with doing a Netflix movie or even a series until he gets a next big movie. Working with great directors is the way to go. 

That's not really fair, Depp has a long and more interesting filmography and was in the A-list for decades; while RDJ has mostly done MCU stuff for a while - after some "craziness" of his own but earlier in his career.

Anyway, at their age, the best of their works is probably behind them. That is true for almost all actors, even successful ones.

Streaming changed the game when they started paying actors millions of dollars up front to star in their movies and TV shows. Plus their TV shows and movies have started to enter the awards conversation as well. So as an actor/actress you get the best of both worlds (a big paycheck plus acclaim) without worrying about the box office results. There’s no shame in it and Im not surprised to see more bigger stars gravitate towards it. 

30 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Downey's production company just got a first look deal with HBO Max: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/team-downey-inks-hbo-first-look-deal-1269251

Seems like Downey will be doing fine. But I'm personally more interested in seeing Chris Evans post-Marvel career.

Downey is producing Matthew Rhys' Perry Mason for HBO, so this makes sense

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

RDJ's actual quote about indies. he isn't wrong. his take on them is much more realsitic and much less romanticized:

“No,” said Downey Jr. “Because they’re exhausting and sometimes they suck and then you just go, ‘What was I thinking?’

“But I’m interested in doing all different kinds of movies. Sometimes the little movies are the ones that wind up taking the most out of you because they’re like, ‘Hey, man, we’re just running a couple of days behind. Do you think you can stay through your birthday and then come back on the fourth of July? And, by the way, like the crew – can you pay for the craft services?’”

“‘And, oh, by the way, man, when we go to Sundance, it’s like, can we just sit you in a chair and you can sell this for six days in a row so that we’ll make 180 bucks when it opens in one theater? God, this is so powerful what we’re doing. What do you think of the movie? You saw it last night?’”

“I thought it’s mediocre.”

“‘Yeah, isn’t it the greatest? Man, everyone’s an artist here.’”

“Actually, most of you are kind of inexperienced and lame.”

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/may/01/robert-downey-jr-indie-movies-exhausting-and-sometimes-suck

he's just talking there in terms of $$$$$$. Given he's one of the highest paid stars, it makes sense that he doesn't understand art or talent, and only understands paycheques.

Edited by Avatree

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

He just gave one of the biggest original hit last year. 

Chris Evans will be fine. He also has Apple TV show. 

Chris Hemsworth is the one to look forward. Hemsbomb will have to be at Netflix forever. 

Edited by Madhuvan

37 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

He just gave one of the biggest original hit last year. 

Chris Evans will be fine. He also has Apple TV show. 

Chris Hemsworth is the one to look forward. Hemsbomb will have to be at Netflix forever. 

I'm interested in looking at Chris Evans's post-Marvel career not because I think it will be bad but because I think it will be great.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

RDJ career will never be over but, as I just said, I do believe that he'll play in more Dolittle level garbage for years to come. And I believe his quote about Indies is not very intelligent. I don't mind him not wanting the play in dark small dramas but pick better big budget stuff than freaking Dolittle. 

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

he's just talking there in terms of $$$$$$. Given he's one of the highest paid stars, it makes sense that he doesn't understand art or talent, and only understands paycheques.

his quote wasn't about that really. he's saying that many of these movies are amateurish at best and big waste of time. You make them and then wonder why you did it. you miss your kid's birthday due to commitment and then nobody even sees what you did and quality isn't there either. That you don't get paid but often have to fork out cash for catering, etc is just part of the package. he's right in that indies are too associated with quality when that isn't the case. they have more duds than we know but nobody talks about them. we only hear about indie hits. 

This is well said, though:

"I don't mind him not wanting the play in dark small dramas but pick better big budget stuff than freaking Dolittle. " @Zakiyyah6

:bravo:

re:Evans. Eh, I wouldn't call him the paragon of great taste just yet. KO was a good judgement on his part but lets not forget that pretty much everything he starred in since becoming Cap was a dud including his directorial debut. His best movie was Snowpiercer which got strong reviews but tanked at the boxoffice. in between MCU, he starred in 2 shitty romcoms and a shitty faith based movie.  I hope for the best but his resume is a mixed bag.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1