grim22

Dolittle | Jan 17 2020 | Universal | 16% RT | Winner of the Kids Choice Award!

18 hours ago, dudalb said:

Speaking of Shane Black, what the hell happened to that Doc Savage movie he was going to make with The Rock? Since I am a big fan of the original 30's Pulp Magazine Doc, I was looking forward to that one.

I do remember seeing a photo of Dwayne Johnson at a script reading with Shane Black. That project clearly had a strong foundation. I don't know what happened to it. It could still be in creative limbo.

5 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

I do remember seeing a photo of Dwayne Johnson at a script reading with Shane Black. That project clearly had a strong foundation. I don't know what happened to it. It could still be in creative limbo.

Black is a huge Doc  Savage fan; he spent a large amount of money collecting the original 1930's pulp magazines, which are not cheap.So it was omething of a passion project for him.Really hope this happens, though, I admit, I have a few doubts about Johnson.Physically he is a good choice, but if he can pull off Doc are a universal genius I don't know. But then Savage would be tough to cast anyway.

Edited by dudalb

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

Black is a huge Doc  Savage fan; he spent a large amount of money collecting the original 1930's pulp magazines, which are not cheap.So it was omething of a passion project for him.Really hope this happens, though, I admit, I have a few doubts about Johnson.Physically he is a good choice, but if he can pull off Doc are a universal genius I don't know. But then Savage would be tough to cast anyway.

I do, too, man. I think 90's Fraser would've been the perfect choice, but Dwayne's recent history with pulp action adventure cinema helps him fit into the role like a glove. I think it will find it's footing at some point. Maybe upon the news of Uncharted getting a proper cast and budget. The script is obviously done, and has attracted big talent. We'll see.

3 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

When was the last time the biggest box office bomb (relative to budget, not expectations) of the year happened in January?

It won't be this one...Dolittle will probably at least match its budget WW...and there will definitely be at least one movie that won't this year...don't ask me which one yet:)...

Although Monster Trucks is an example of a badly reviewed family comedy movie WITHOUT the big star...so you know how much RDJ is bringing to this one:)...

Can someone possibly explain...

why a single weekend,

in the middle of the dullest month,

in the dead ass of winter

has more high profile big blockbusters than entire MONTHS of this chronically fucked up year??

And I'm talking usually universally strong months like February, or even... December!! W.T.F.??!!

Edited by shayhiri

54 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Can someone possibly explain...

why a single weekend,

in the middle of the dullest month,

in the dead ass of winter

has more high profile big blockbusters than entire MONTHS of this chronically fucked up year??

And I'm talking usually universally strong months like February, or even... December!! W.T.F.??!!

Birds of Prey, Sonic, Dune, West Side Story, Croods 2, Tom and Jerry will make more than Dolittle. Oh wait, you think they aren't blockbusters just because you don't like them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shayhiri said:

Big Martin Luther King 4 days holiday weekend domestic with  + remain of Holiday season (star wars-jumanji, etc...) + award player expansion season for 1917 create some storm I imagine.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2020 at 11:20 AM, Zakiyyah6 said:

RDJ career will never be over but, as I just said, I do believe that he'll play in more Dolittle level garbage for years to come. And I believe his quote about Indies is not very intelligent. I don't mind him not wanting the play in dark small dramas but pick better big budget stuff than freaking Dolittle. 

He was specifically asked about starring in $500k budget indies.  The kind of movies that ask you to pay for craft services and don't get theatrical releases outside of 1 - 4  theaters  (the ones that now don't even get that) The kind of movies he already did and paid his dues in. 

If he wasn't interested in doing indies again he wouldn't have signed on for that long gestating Linklater film.

• Like 2

I still haven't seen Gifted. That's definitely on the list to watch at some point here.

Meanwhile, Dolittle is estimated to bring in $22.5M this weekend. Not as bad as I thought, but obviously still horrible everything else considered.

After Dolittle's little opening weekend, I can already imagine this scene...

Robert Downey Jr. picking up a phone.

RDJ: Hey, dog, how's it going, my man Kevin? You know I am always your boy, right? By the way, Bro...

Kevin: Cut the bullshit. Iron Man 4 ain't happening.

2xnuwi.jpg