grim22

Dolittle | Jan 17 2020 | Universal | 16% RT | Winner of the Kids Choice Award!

I do so hope it has a Push Me Pull You.

Several studios chased this one hard. I’d heard 20th Century Fox — which made the 1967 Rex Harrison film and the redo films that starred Eddie Murphy — and Sony were in the mix at one point or another over the weekend.

A package for a branded family tentpole starring Downey — who has propelled two big franchises with his Iron Man and Sherlock Holmes characters — understandably doesn’t come cheap. Most studios don’t play in the first-dollar gross sandbox anymore, but I’ve heard this was the exception, a throwback auction where the ask was a first-dollar gross outlay around 25% on a film that will carry an event-film budget possibly north of $160 million.

Damn

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Wait, am I reading this right? That's a fucking huge budget if true.

It's pretty avg for a tent pole, even lower than avg and I assume since they got RDJ and they're paying him that much they're looking for it to be a tent pole. 

The books is a period adventure that spans the globe and they're going to need VFX for many of the animals and probably locations. 

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 0:44 PM, aabattery said:

Wait, am I reading this right? That's a fucking huge budget if true.

Well, it's in the Dr Dolittle tradition. The 1967 film was notorious for going way,way, over budget.  So much so that the management at Fox was very much afraid they had another Cleopatra on their hands.