Plain Old Tele

BOT: The Revisiting! The Top 25 of 2007 -- It's done! Best Film of 2007 has been revealed!

27 minutes ago, baumer said:

I have not seen sunshine but I've heard good things about it and I am definitely adding it to my list. 

It's definitely worth checking out. Falls apart a bit in the final act but good work from the ensemble all around.

John Murphy's score is very underrated.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

It's definitely worth checking out. Falls apart a bit in the final act but good work from the ensemble all around.

John Murphy's score is very underrated.

I think Baumer would enjoy it a lot.

• Like 3

Eh start. 300 is the weakest Snyder and Sunshine is half terrible. Sweeney is too whatever to have a strong opinion about it. Into the Wild not getting in the top 10 probably is the highlight so far.

Edited by Goffe

Sunshine - eh, guess if it gotta make the list this is a good place. 

Into the Wild - overrated like a lot of 07 films 

Sweeny Todd - way to low, but it really is the last film with a great Depp performance - at least until Mortdecai. 

300 - stupid film but visually well made 

American Gangster - way to low makes me fear for the top 10. 

Spoiler

20. Stardust

starring Charlie Cox, Michelle Pfeiffer, Claire Danes, Sienna Miller, Rupert Everett, Ian McKellan

written by Jane Goldman & Matthew Vaughn, based on the novel by Neil Gaiman

directed by Matthew Vaughn

IMDB synopsis: In a countryside town bordering on a magical land, a young man makes a promise to his beloved that he'll retrieve a fallen star by venturing into the magical realm.

This project had a long and complicated history before it finally got made. The novel was originally optioned by Miramax in the late 90s, but it ended up in development hell and Gaiman reacquired the rights. Then Terry Gilliam and Matthew Vaughn got interested in making it, but each left to make their own project: Gilliam to do THE BROTHERS GRIMM, Vaughn to direct LAYER CAKE. After Vaughn left X-MEN: FIRST CLASS, he optioned the book again, and this time the project got underway smoothly. The result is a charming fantasy that appealed to many, though it never got much of a push in the United States, grossing only $38m.

Tomatometer: 76% 

Random critic comment: “Stardust lights up the screen with a splendid tale of heroism and romance. You don't have to be a fan of fantasies to enjoy its considerable whimsy.” — Claudia Puig, USA Today

Random RTM comment: “The best fantasy movie not named Harry Potter and LOTR.” — Goffe

• Like 15

Spoiler

19. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

starring Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Gary Oldman, David Thewlis, Imelda Staunton

written by Michael Goldenberg, from the novel by J.K. Rowling

directed by David Yates

IMDB synopsis: With their warning about Lord Voldemort's return scoffed at, Harry and Dumbledore are targeted by the Wizard authorities as an authoritarian bureaucrat slowly seizes power at Hogwarts.

The fifth entry in the HP saga, this was the first directed by David Yates, a TV director who became the mainstay for the rest of the series. Several directors with unique styles all turned down offers to direct — Jeunet, del Toro, and Matthew Vaughn among them — and it’s interesting to imagine what they would’ve done with the project (not to mention what direction the series would’ve gone overall). As to Yates’ version, it by-and-large pleased fans, though my impression is that it’s a bit lost in the overall middle tangle of the story.

Tomatometer: 78%

Random critic comment: “The darkest and most menacing by far of the five [films, [Phoenix] is also the only series entry outside of the third that feels like the product of a vivid cinematic imagination and not just a slavishly faithful transposition.” — Scott Foundas, LA Weekly

Random RTM comment: “Umbridge is sensational, and the possession scene is really emotional. I have some problems with it, but I like it a lot.” — Noctis

• Like 12

Spoiler

18. Knocked Up

starring Seth Rogen, Katherine Heigl

written and directed by Judd Apatow

IMDB synopsis: For fun-loving party animal Ben Stone, the last thing he ever expected was for his one-night stand to show up on his doorstep eight weeks later to tell him she's pregnant with his child.

The Apatow crew of comedians team up again for a very funny look at pregnancy and what it means to step up and become a mature adult. The movie was a big hit at the box-office, grossing $148m domestically and ensuring many more raunchy comedies from Apatow and all the actors associated with him. Anna Hathaway was originally cast in the lead role, but dropped out (due to creative differences — Apatow claimed it was because she didn’t want them to use real footage of a woman giving birth). Jennifer Love Hewitt and Kate Bosworth auditioned but Heigl landed the part.

Tomatometer: 90%

Random critic comment: “Hilarious from moment to moment, but leaving behind both a warm glow and a sting. This is a picture that refuses to fetishize either the ability to conceive or the significance of our place in the universe once we've done so.” — Stephanie Zacharek, Salon.com

Random RTM comment: “One of the best comedies ever.” — Michael Gary Scott

• Like 11