FlashMaster659

WEEKEND THREAD | Official Weekend Estimates: Beauty and the Beast - 88.3M; Power Rangers - 40.5M; Life - 12.6M; Other Numbers First Post. Gokira has been threadbanned.

3 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

By the way, is WB satisfied with Kong's numbers?

I mean, its overseas numbers are being saved by China ( China again, lol ).  Peter Jackson's Kong made 550 million worldwide, and that was 12 years ago. So, I don't know how WB feels about these numbers.

Has this movie even made a profit?

I have no clue why they choose that date,but it was moronic. Their was better dates to release it. It's another bonehead choose by Saban.

3 hours ago, Nova said:

@baumerbox office mojo has Life with a $16.1M opening internationally. I have no idea which markets though so it doesn't put the number in perspective. 

Thank you.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

When you say something is being saved by China, that implies that China's numbers were never taken into consideration when the budget for this movie was approved and that now by sheer luck, it is doing better in China that anyone thought it would.

When the opposite is true.  This movie was always going to do more business internationally than domestic and they cast a popular Chinese actress knowing that this would give it some clout in China.  Films don't get saved from any market.  Money is money.

Yep, they were definitely aware of that market when the film was greenlit. Couldn't help but notice the logo of a Chinese production company at the very beginning of the movie. Believe it had some Mandarin in the logo. 

• Like 1

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Yep, they were definitely aware of that market when the film was greenlit. Couldn't help but notice the logo of a Chinese production company at the very beginning of the movie. Believe it had some Mandarin in the logo. 

Wanda owns Legendary. Legendary is a producer on the film. Of course they were counting on China.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

Life and Power Rangers are non entities OS.

Yep, that's a horrible opening for it internationally also.  It opened in UK and France and some other big markets.

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yep, that's a horrible opening for it internationally also.  It opened in UK and France and some other big markets.

Just like Power Rangers, it has 5 big markets left or so, in which China is included.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

France has yet to Open according to IMDB

it still has South Korea, France, Japan, Greece, and Brazil. 

Possibly China if it gets a release there. 

Regardless thats not good  at all. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Just like Power Rangers, it has 5 big markets left or so, in which China is included.

I would not be surprised that in a month. Life did better then PR overall OS.

Just now, Momo said:

I would not be surprised that in a month. Life did better then PR overall OS.

Power Rangers is the type of movie that can perform really well in China. Life isn't. PR will beat it OS.

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Life and Power Rangers are non entities OS.

Well, most OS markets. PR is a huge hit here in my country. I don't know the numbers, but a lot of sold out shows throughout the weekend, even on Sunday night. It's even playing on multiple screens at some theaters. Pretty busy weekend, with Beauty and the Beast still killing it in its 2nd weekend, and Power Rangers breaking out.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

To be fair, most of those movies were summer or Xmas releases which meant that their weekdays were far bigger than what BatB can do and inevitably, the weekend drops can be more severe. For example, as huge as BatB may be, it's by now already around $85M behind Jurassic World after 10 days. 

Of course, no two weekends are ever directly comparable for various reasons. 

The landscape is different in the summer when weekdays are much larger. It's not surprising to me that Jurassic World is $85 million ahead of Beauty, given Jurassic World opened over $33 million higher on its opening weekend, and held very well on it's second weekend (which is over $18 million higher than Beauty). Jurassic World had terrific weekday numbers, and was at the time the highest opening weekend of all time (until later that year when The Force Awakens opened). I found, and still find, Jurassic World's box office performance to be incredibly impressive, and I was giddily following its performance two summers ago. So, I hope you don't take my write up to be me trying to minimize the performance of other huge films, only to put Beauty's drop into some context, and I find it interesting to look back at all of the big openers.

It's also not inevitable that non-summer films will hold better, and that's evident looking at the large drops of Batman v Superman and the final Harry Potter, for example. Of course, heavily fan-driven films like most comic book movies are usually going to play very differently (re: more frontloaded), but there are exceptions, as can be seen with The Avengers, which only dropped a pretty remarkable 50% given it was the largest opening weekend at the time ($207.4 million opening) and by a huge margin. I wonder if people remember that at the time, the previous highest opening weekend was the final Harry Potter instalment, with a $169.1 million opening weekend, and thus The Avengers stomped on the previous record.

The Dark Knight is another example: it also had the highest opening weekend at the time (in 2008) with a huge $158.4 million weekend, and only dropped 52.5% in the heat of the summer in July, and went on to have a 3.36 multiplier.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 3