FlashMaster659

WEEKEND THREAD | Official Weekend Estimates: Beauty and the Beast - 88.3M; Power Rangers - 40.5M; Life - 12.6M; Other Numbers First Post. Gokira has been threadbanned.

1 minute ago, RandomJC said:

That makes sense. It just looks very funny to me. but I'm pretty vocal about Passengers not reaching 100.

The fact that they do not adjust the number of theater for the individual day make it certainly look funny/impossible.

1 hour ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

What a behemoth.It amazes me how it will,not on suprass TJB's massive take,but it will also demolish the 400m mark by its 3rd weekend...i keep fotgetting that this movies is s musical.It's mindblowing that a musical ,even if it's BaTB,can be compared to the biggest blockbusters.And not only in NA but across the world.

Time are a'changing! I'm so glad to see it doing so well! Musicals are in again! =]

6 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Just think that everyone was laughing you at first.

Was not here at the time but that a bit strange ? Do people thought 100 million was too high or too low ? That club would have been interesting for most of is comparable no ?

After earth: 60 million

Oblivion: 89 million

Elysium: 92 million

Tommorowland: 93 million

*Passenger - 100 million

Edge of Tomorrow: 100 million

Cowboys and Aliens 100.2

Arrival: 100.5 million

Pacific Rim: 102 million

250 to 350 million WW if things does not go too badly was my range of prediction for an original Sci-fi.

Can BatB pass Rogue One? I think so. 

I promised a friend I was going to watch it (BatB) with her, so I had to go last night. I slept through half the movie and I regret not sleeping through all of it. Just doesn't rock my boat. 

1 hour ago, PPZVGOS said:

I promised a friend I was going to watch it (BatB) with her, so I had to go last night. I slept through half the movie and I regret not sleeping through all of it. Just doesn't rock my boat. 

Rock my boat? 

Just now, Barnack said:

Was not here at the time but that a bit strange ? Do people thought 100 million was too high or too low ? That club would have been interesting for most of is comparable no ?

After earth: 60 million

Oblivion: 89 million

Elysium: 92 million

Tommorowland: 93 million

*Passenger - 100 million

Edge of Tomorrow: 100 million

Cowboys and Aliens 100.2

Arrival: 100.5 million

Pacific Rim: 102 million

250 to 350 million WW if things does not go too badly was my range of prediction for an original Sci-fi.

100M was too low. A lot of people thought it was going to breeze past it because of JLaw/Pratt.

Just now, RandomJC said:

100M was too low. A lot of people thought it was going to breeze past it because of JLaw/Pratt.

That sound a bit of a delusion, even with Will Smith (and we are talking about Will Smith before After Earth debacle), Tom Cruise or the Disney giant machine with 2 year's of marketing assure a 100M for an original movie without an proven high concept hook, a 100 million floor for an original movie is a bit crazy, even Dicaprio need is movie to be good to reach 100 million DBO. Passenger was lucky that a lot of is competition failed (Assassin Creed, Collateral, Live by night, Silence, Monster Call, etc...) because it will not have reached 100 million. 

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That sound a bit of a delusion, even with Will Smith (and we are talking about Will Smith before After Earth debacle), Tom Cruise or the Disney giant machine with 2 year's of marketing assure a 100M for an original movie without an proven high concept hook, a 100 million floor for an original movie is a bit crazy, even Dicaprio need is movie to be good to reach 100 million DBO. Passenger was lucky that a lot of is competition failed (Assassin Creed, Collateral, Live by night, Silence, Monster Call, etc...) because it will not have reached 100 million. 

None of the original sci-fi movies you listed were really good, with the possible exception of Edge of Tomorrow. With original movies, quality (perceived or otherwise) is a yuuge determinant of box-office success. In any case, Hollywood now finds it far more convenient to stick to known properties via endless sequels/prequels/remakes/reboots/spin-offs. Sad!

1 hour ago, wileECoyote said:

Looks like BatB went up from estimates for all days during the weekend

Estimate    Actual
Fri   $23,557,000    $23,602,097    
Sat   $38,286,000    $38,292,423    
Sun  $26,504,000    $28,532,197    

To be afir, Friday and Saturday were pretty much on the money. Only Sunday was underestimated by quite a lot. Still an insane second weekend.

3 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

None of the original sci-fi movies you listed were really good, with the possible exception of Edge of Tomorrow. With original movies, quality (perceived or otherwise) is a yuuge determinant of box-office success. In any case, Hollywood now finds it far more convenient to stick to known properties via endless sequels/prequels/remakes/reboots/spin-offs. Sad!

Possible?    Edge of Tomorrow rocks my boat!

It's still a mystery to me why it flopped

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PPZVGOS said:

Edge of Tomorrow and Arrival were flat out excellent, but yes that was my point the scenario that Passenger end up being bad was obviously possible and the floor for non-ip/genre movie is pretty hard to predict now, it can get really low, Jupiter Ascending (47 million) and Transcendence (23 million) clearly did show that.

Elysium and Oblivion still got above average metacritic score for a studio release, had 2 of the best box office draw in the world and still didn't reach it that mark.

1 hour ago, Alli said:

Possible?    Edge of Tomorrow rocks my boat!

Yeah, landing scene on the beach was so rocking my boat as well... I'd say that landing was even more convulsive than the landing on omaha beach in saving private ryan. 
But when they landed on the beach the fouth fifth and sixth time the boat wasn't very rocked any more. But first hour was definition of boat rocking!

6 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

It will need some pretty good legs to get it done.

At this point it is about 30m ahead, but by Friday it will probably be 25m behind, as Rogue One made 88m over those four weekdays for a total of 375m, while BatB might make maybe 35m for a total of about 350m by Friday. Rogue One followed that up with a 49.6m third weekend, BatB would need to drop no more than 44% to match that, if the current estimates are correct. That is doable, but it isn't going to gain a lot over that weekend. With Rogue One adding another 30m over the next weekdays, BatB will probably be further behind by the time the 4th weekend hits than it will be the upcoming Friday. It should be able to have better number afterwards, but at that point it will already be around 30m behind.

Dark Knight was behind even further at that point and still came out ahead, but that's a rather tough performance to match.

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

Flopped is a bit of an harsh word.

1) It more than doubled is budget at the BO after all and apparently did well at the home media, the way Blunt talked about it in a recent interview, it did look like it did some profit.

2) The movie is getting a sequel