FlashMaster659

WEEKEND THREAD | Official Weekend Estimates: Beauty and the Beast - 88.3M; Power Rangers - 40.5M; Life - 12.6M; Other Numbers First Post. Gokira has been threadbanned.

25 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

With estimates, Beauty and the Beast has had one of the strongest second weekend holds when looking at the biggest openers of all time (those that made $150+ million opening weekend). It’s second weekend gross represents the 4th best second weekend of all time, coming off an opening weekend that was the 6th best of all time. 

It will be interesting to see how it does over the next two weekends before The Fate of the Furious opens.

The Force Awakens was a beast no matter what, but combine that with a second weekend that had Christmas fall on the Friday (and the deflating Christmas Eve not fall on the weekend) and it benefitted from the holiday alignment of that year. Jurassic World benefitted from a Sunday that was nearly flat from Saturday due to Father’s Day.

The last Harry Potter may have the worst drop of the bunch, but it is at least partly a testament to how incredibly anticipated the final instalment of the Harry Potter series was. It made $43.5 million in previews (in 2011), close to 50% of it’s opening day, which is insane, and before The Force Awakens came along, was the highest preview gross ever (and by far; the next largest preview gross is The Dark Knight Rises' $30.6 million).

2nd Weekend Drops for Films with $150+ million Opening Weekends

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens: -39.8% (Christmas Holiday weekend /w no Christmas Eve)
  2. Jurassic World: 49.0% (Father’s Day Sunday)
  3. Beauty and the Beast: -49.4%
  4. Marvel’s The Avengers: -50.3%
  5. The Dark Knight: -52.5%
  6. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire: -53.1%
  7. Iron Man 3: -58.4%
  8. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story: -58.7%
  9. Avengers: Age of Ultron: -59.4%
  10. Captain America: Civil War: -59.5%
  11. The Dark Knight Rises: -61.4%
  12. Spider-Man 3: -61.5%
  13. The Hunger Games: -61.6%
  14. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice: -69.1%
  15. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2: -72.0%

Peace,

Mike

To be fair, most of those movies were summer or Xmas releases which meant that their weekdays were far bigger than what BatB can do and inevitably, the weekend drops can be more severe. For example, as huge as BatB may be, it's by now already around $85M behind Jurassic World after 10 days. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Momo said:

Yeah,I'm shocked. Did they not promote it OS or some thing.

Lionsgate sold off the distribution rights in most countries to local distributors, which is kind of showing lack of confidence of OS numbers and hedging the risks.

4 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

To be fair, most of those movies were summer or Xmas releases which meant that their weekdays were far bigger than what BatB can do and inevitably, the weekend drops can be more severe. For example, as huge as BatB may be, it's by now already around $85M behind Jurassic World after 10 days. 

I wouldn't call 6/15 "most"

• Like 1

I think Power Rangers must make at least 50-60 million overseas, excluding Japan and China.

If it makes 100 million domestic ( which is hard ) + 50-60 million overseas + 140-150 million ( from both Japan and China ), then I guess a sequel might happen. I wouldn't panic about its numbers. PR was always meant to be a tough sell. Hell, I barely knew a person who was excited to watch this movie.

Overall, most of the comments were about how this would be another Fant4stic. Let's hope word of mouth does its part. I guess China might save it, lol.

2 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I think Power Rangers must make at least 50-60 million overseas, excluding Japan and China.

If it makes 100 million domestic ( which is hard ) + 50-60 million overseas + 140-150 million ( from both Japan and China ), then I guess a sequel might happen. I wouldn't panic about its numbers. PR was always meant to be a tough sell. Hell, I barely knew a person who was excited to watch this movie.

Overall, most of the comments were about how this would be another Fant4stic. Let's hope word of mouth does its part. I guess China might save it, lol.

Basicly if a miracle happens. lol

1 minute ago, TigerPaw said:

Lionsgate sold off the distribution rights in most countries to local distributors, which is kind of showing lack of confidence of OS numbers and hedging the risks.

Lionsgate doesn't have a WW distribution network. Only US and U.K. I think. The OS openings for it so far have been lower than Ghostbusters. If it follows GB that is about 90M from non China and Japan markets. But since it isn't summer and weekdays OS will also be hurt, probably 80-85M OS. Maybe 90-95M domestic (or a long trudge to 100M). 190-195M WW before China and Japan

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

This is correct. People are comparing it to TDK without realizing it was over $16m ahead of TDK after 3 days and the second weekend gross was $13m higher than TDK...yet TDK has already gained $13m in the comparison from last Sunday due to extremely strong summer weekday numbers compared to BATB. Last Sunday BATB was ahead by $16m. Now it's ahead by only $3m on the 10-day gross. It is gonna need very strong weekends to make up for this and have any chance of reaching TDK's $533m. 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Don't get me started on how Lionsgate fucks up OS partners. Gods of Egypt, Last Witch Hunter and Deepwater Horizon were sold for 100M each lmao. Insurgent were 65M and Allegiant 85M. I assume Power Rangers was also 100M.

Well, they made out nice on La La Land  and the Hunger Games.    Last Witch HunterGOE both performed far better O/S ($100m+) than domestically so some partners probably did well or broke evev on them.

No one's forcing them to partner up.  It's done on a film by film basis and as pointed out if a movie doesn't perform well for the O/S it  kills any sequels

1 minute ago, Momo said:

Basicly if a miracle happens. lol

At least in China, I think the movie might perform well. :)

There are some other markets left overseas. Hell, what were they thinking, when they released this movie right after BATB? lol

By the way, is WB satisfied with Kong's numbers?

I mean, its overseas numbers are being saved by China ( China again, lol ).  Peter Jackson's Kong made 550 million worldwide, and that was 12 years ago. So, I don't know how WB feels about these numbers.

Has this movie even made a profit?

3 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

This is correct. People are comparing it to TDK without realizing it was over $16m ahead of TDK after 3 days and the second weekend gross was $13m higher than TDK...yet TDK has already gained $13m in the comparison from last Sunday due to extremely strong summer weekday numbers compared to BATB. Last Sunday BATB was ahead by $16m. Now it's ahead by only $3m on the 10-day gross. It is gonna need very strong weekends to make up for this and have any chance of reaching TDK's $533m. 

Personally, I don't see it passing TDK.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I mean, its overseas numbers are being saved by China ( China again, lol ).  Peter Jackson's Kong made 550 million worldwide, and that was 12 years ago. So, I don't know how WB feels about these numbers.

It will make a profit easily. WB is probably pleased.

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

Personally, I don't see it passing TDK.

Probably not. I thought Rogue One was locked to do it while that film was ahead of TDK by a huge margin during the holiday period. It still came up short. A lot will depend on how BATB holds up against the new Furious movie, including theater count. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

When you say something is being saved by China, that implies that China's numbers were never taken into consideration when the budget for this movie was approved and that now by sheer luck, it is doing better in China that anyone thought it would.

When the opposite is true.  This movie was always going to do more business internationally than domestic and they cast a popular Chinese actress knowing that this would give it some clout in China.  Films don't get saved because of any market.  Money is money.

• Like 6