BOT's TOP 100 Film Scores: The Threequel: COUNTDOWN COMPLETE! (#1 Page 36!)

10 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Reveal hidden contents

IT MADE IT!!

• Like 3

Not surprised I gave it the only vote, since not enough people have listened to it, but The Adventures of Baron Munchausen is such a quirky offbeat score that it works so for the film. I voted for it because it's so good & among Kamen's most original & unusual scores. I love that waltz theme, & it's got more original material then Brazil, which is a great score too mind you. 

My only issue is that I really think it could see a re-release, since the original recording is poor & it's in need of an update. Calling Intrada! 

Edited by Fancyarcher

6 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

The Mulholland Drive main theme is one of the most beautiful/haunting pieces of movie music ever.

Fuckers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGGoVD2bZPA

Gotta confess I left it out this time because there's not a whole lot to the score beyond that theme and one or two others. The movie's most memorable moments of music come with the songs. Fire Walk With Me and The Straight Story (both of which I had in the top half of my list) are greater works overall just by virtue of being more expansive. 

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Gotta confess I left it out this time because there's not a whole lot to the score beyond that theme and one or two others. The movie's most memorable moments of music come with the songs. Fire Walk With Me and The Straight Story (both of which I had in the top half of my list) are greater works overall just by virtue of being more expansive. 

Blue Velvet as well. I love how mysterious & dreamy so much of that music in that film sounds like, even if much like Mulholland Drive there isn't a whole lot of it in the film. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Blue Velvet as well. I love how mysterious & dreamy so much of that music in that film sounds like, even if much like Mulholland Drive there isn't a whole lot of it in the film. 

tumblr_manyqyFrkr1qfo1o9o1_500.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Now that we're in the Top 10, I will post the remaining scores one at a time over the next few evenings rather than doing monolithic blocks.

This thread has been going for a month, I'd really prefer if you didn't

lol?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Travod said:

This thread has been going for a month, I'd really prefer if you didn't

lol?

As someone who didn't submit a list, I give your suggestion....0% success.

Spoiler

Jurassic Park (1993)

Original Music by John Williams

800 Points

#1 Rankings: 1

Top 5 Placements: 3

Top 10 Placements: 3

2015 Placement: 10 (NO CHANGE)

Starting the Top 10 is our #10 from last time around. John Williams' main focus in crafting the score was to develop themes and cues that'd evoke awe and fascination. The result is several grand themes, as most prominently featured in the Journey to the Island track. The scoring occurred at Skywalker Ranch concurrently with sound composition, leading Williams to get some inspiration from the dinosaur sound effects. Surprisingly, Williams was not nominated for Original Score for this film (he won the same year for Schindler's List).

• Like 12

Just now, 4815162342 said:

As someone who didn't submit a list, I give your suggestion....0% success.

Hide contents

Jurassic Park (1993)

800 Points

Top 5 Placements: 3

2015 Placement: 10 (NO CHANGE)

Starting the Top 10 is our #10 from last time around. John Williams' main focus in crafting the score was to develop themes and cues that'd evoke awe and fascination. The result is several grand themes, as most prominently featured in the Journey to the Island track. The scoring occurred at Skywalker Ranch concurrently with sound composition, leading Williams to get some inspiration from the dinosaur sound effects. Surprisingly, Williams was not nominated for Original Score for this film (he won the same year for Schindler's List).

Nocturnal Animals didn't make it, so speed the process up. Pretty please :) 

Spoiler

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)

Original Music by Howard Shore

847 Points

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 2

2015 Placement: 6 (-3)

Falling 3 spots is the finale to the LOTR trilogy. Howard Shore culminates his work by expanding a handful of themes from earlier films, most notably the martial Gondor theme, and also incorporates new themes as well, the most prominent being the Grey Havens/Into the West cue. It's an epic sweeping batch of music to cap one of the most ambitious film projects of all time. Shore would win an Oscar for his work on the movie.

• Like 12

Spoiler

Superman (1978)

852 Points

Top 5 Placements: 5

2015 Placement: 9 (+1)

We continue with the highest-ranked superhero film two countdowns running. Jerry Goldsmith was originally attached to score the film, but had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts. The music rivals Elfman's Batman music as the best fit of music to superhero tone, with grand, operatic, uplifting cues matching Superman's status as a symbol of hope and inspiration. The main theme march is probably THE iconic superhero tune in cinema. Williams would be nominated for an Oscar, but lose out to Midnight Express for the statue.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, aabattery said:

All these whiners. I say let them bathe in the glory of the Jurrassic Park score.

It's great. I even love The Lost World's theme which is more of a wild jungle theme a-la Steiner's King Kong. 

• Like 1

Of course Goldsmith's dropped out of Superman due to conflict, but he would later actually go on to score the disastrous Supergirl, providing a theme was almost as good as Williams IMO. 

Great score though. Definitely the "ultimate superhero score", if that makes any sense. 

• Like 1