BOT's TOP 100 Film Scores: The Threequel: COUNTDOWN COMPLETE! (#1 Page 36!)

Man, that Superman score is something else. How does Williams do it? It's like every theme song he writes feels exactly right, they're the notes that should be played at the right time. Can you honesly disassociate Superman from that Williams motif? It's impossible. 

• Like 3

Spoiler

Jaws (1975)

Original Music by John Williams

921 Points

Top 10 Placements: 5

2015 Placement: 7 (NO CHANGE)

Staying put at #7 is the film score that launched a million parodies. The main theme, an alternation between two notes, has become an iconic cue of danger and tension that has been referenced in pop culture to no end. Much of the score relies on an ominous tuba or rapid-fire string strumming, to convey a mix of tension and primal adventure. Williams would go on to win an Oscar for his work on the movie, which Spielberg credited as a huge reason for why the movie worked.

• Like 7

Spoiler

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

Original Music by Maurice Jarre

986 Points

#1 Rankings: 2

Top 5 Placements: 4

Top 10 Placements: 2

2015 Placement: 11 (+5)

TELE SUCCEEDS! The Two Towers was dropkicked out of the Top 10 by the WW1 epic. Maurice Jarre was David Lean's third choice to compose for the film, after Malcolm Arnold and William Walton were unavailable. The result is an iconic main theme that evokes the sweeping grandeur of the desert and the vision for proud future. Maurice Jarre would go on to win an Oscar for his work on the film. In a Top 10 of convention for the forum, this pushing to just shy of the Top 5 was a nice treat.

• Like 10

Spoiler

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

Original Music by Howard Shore

1125 Points

Top 5 Placements: 4

Top 10 Placements: 5

2015 Placement: 2 (-3)

While Fellowship fell to 5th place, it was in no danger from Lawrence as it still had a 139-point lead over it. Howard Shore began his musical journey through Middle-Earth with this feature, laying out a ton of memorable themes and cues that would endure through LOTR and some would even feature in the Hobbit trilogy as well. From the pastoral Hobbit theme to the alluring Ring motif to the proud and booming Fellowship horn theme, the music covers a whole array of emotions and tones. Shore won an Oscar for his work.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

While Fellowship fell to 5th place, it was in no danger from Lawrence as it still had a 139-point lead over it. Howard Shore began his musical journey through Middle-Earth with this feature, laying out a ton of memorable themes and cues that would endure through LOTR and some would even feature in the Hobbit trilogy as well. From the pastoral Hobbit theme to the alluring Ring motif to the proud and booming Fellowship horn theme, the music covers a whole array of emotions and tones. Shore won an Oscar for his work.

:thinking:  Makes plan to get Lawrence closer to the top 5.

I'ill drop LOTR:FOTR completely from my list next time.  It's great, but sacrifices must be made

• Like 1

JAWS and Halloween are too low.

LOTR is way too high.

So is Lawrence......errrrr.....I mean....perfect spot for Lawrence of Arabia.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

So two star wars movies. Raiders... And ... I must be forgetting something obvious

The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

So two star wars movies. Raiders... And ... I must be forgetting something obvious

I almost said Blade Runner but turns out I've been in denial about it being #55.

Hint: it's a score from before the John Williams domination era.