BOT's TOP 100 Film Scores: The Threequel: COUNTDOWN COMPLETE! (#1 Page 36!)

Spoiler

Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)

Original Music by John Williams

1554 Points

#1 Rankings: 3 
Top 5 Placements: 9 
Top 10 Placements: 2

2015 Placement: 1 (NO CHANGE)

RECEIVED THE MOST VOTES OF ANY FILM (19)

It annihilated the competition in 2015. It has done so again. George Lucas hired John Williams to write the music based on the recommendation of Spielberg, and the world is forever grateful for that suggestion. Lucas originally wanted to use classical pieces a la 2001: A Space Odyssey, but Williams convinced him a unified film score would work better, though it is clear that several cues or musical tracks take inspiration from various classical pieces or other musical works. Williams won the Oscar for Original Score. Williams with this film began a musical journey that is 40 years running, which is amazing when you think it about it. A consistent, flowing universe of film music, and it all started here. The film's score is generally regarded as one of the best of all time, with a synchronization to the action that few films could even hope to come close to. The final Battle of Yavin for one works as well as it does because of the terrific job in the editing room as well as Williams' beats backing it all up. It's going to be a terrible, sad, no-good day for cinema when John Williams is no longer with us.

And that's a wrap folks. Thanks for the votes and the posts and the attendance.

• Like 13

I definitely think Once Upon a Time in the West is Morricone's (and Leone's) finest hour - at least out of what I've heard - but I guess I have to settle with GBU forever being more popular if I want the top 3 to not be 100% Williams. And of course it's a great score. I actually saw the entire Dollars trilogy on the big screen last week and "The Trio" just hitting the audience like a tsunami in the climax was glorious to see/hear. 

Great job on this Numbers.

• Like 3

I really enjoyed this list and your write-ups are terrific.  Thanks for doing this.  Did you do research for your lists, or are you just that knowledgeable when it comes to the history of music in film? 

• Like 2

Great write ups! way too many ancient movies on the list imo, but #8, #5 #3 and 1# are amazing. So where did AOTC and ROTS rank? I am kind of surprised they didn't make the top 100, and a little peeved about it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nk_WHHTQtY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAM80pXTjYQ 

Edited by Kalo