baumer

Boss Baby (2017)

Grade it  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

What an absolutely horrible piece of dung.  I mean this makes Dory and Pets look like masterpieces.  I walked out after 25 minutes....I simply couldn't take it anymore.

0/10

• Like 1

Absolute rubbish. I thought it might be quite funny as I like Alec Baldwin and the Trump references are amusing to think about, but it really is just a very dumb children's film. Nearly no redeeming points for it.

Also the Elvis scene was just weird. Such a low level, kids-only jokes/appeal, then a big Elvis joke clambers all over the screen.

No idea what they were thinking when they made this.

@baumer Where has the poll gone btw?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm not sure what happened to the poll.  I'll look into it.....sorry.

I don't think it's your fault. I think it's a bug in the forum. There's a couple in the last week where I voted in them and then they disappeared. Another time I checked some of the new ones CJohn put up and they had no polls for like 5 minutes (unless he edited them in after).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aabattery said:

I don't think it's your fault. I think it's a bug in the forum. There's a couple in the last week where I voted in them and then they disappeared. Another time I checked some of the new ones CJohn put up and they had no polls for like 5 minutes (unless he edited them in after).

yes, this was the issue, it's back now. Probably just a bug.

• Like 2

Yeah, this was surprisingly good. Although the ending was predictable and dragged a bit, along mostly humor for kids. Except for a few scenes. 

Spoiler

The Elvis group, bj pacifier joke, and I chuckled at the part Tim tells Boss Baby where babies came from. (

However, the emotional message, good acting from Baldwin, and nice animation giving this a

C+/B-

• Like 1

The Boss Baby is possibly the oddest mainstream animated film in years. This works both for and against it in multiple ways, but almost always pays off in humor. It's a ridiculously silly film, but one that is never boring and frequently shocking in a fun way. The animation uniquely changes to fit the situations, and its consistently stupid and overcomplicated plot is rarely annoying, and rather amusing. Baldwin never sounds like anything other than Baldwin, but that adds to the truly bizarre tone of the film. The most disappointing parts of the film are when it falls into cliche story structure for American CGI films and when it overexplains its own jokes, but thankfully, the weirdness never really goes away even in these moments. The Boss Baby should not have been made; it is a truly bizarre animated film that never really gels within its own reality. However, this is its greatest strength, being an amusing adventure that flirts with the surreal and mind-numbing silly jokes. A very surprising film. B-

• Like 3

I liked it alot. Premise might sound silly/stupid to some but this movie is all about 90mins of unadulterated fun. Baby as central theme, Take my money. 

When i watched this in theater it was filled with Families i guess me n my bro where the odd one out :D 

Cute, Funny, Emotional,Feel Good Entertainer. 

9/10

PS: Sequels coming out on 2021. I feel its too late.

• Like 1

My review of The Boss Baby:

https://grabyourseat.wordpress.com/2017/07/03/the-boss-baby-film-review/

The best kids’ movies are the ones that manage to entertain children without forgetting the parents that will be watching with them. Most Pixar films, for example, have been adored because they are able to perfectly blend material for children and material for adults and make it suitable for all. DreamWorks’ latest film The Boss Baby takes that sentence and churns it out literally, both the children and adults part and the suitable part. Unfortunately, they forgot the perfectly part.

Tim Templeton (Miles Bakshi) is a seven-year-old only boy with a huge imagination who loves his life with his two parents (Jimmy Kimmel and Lisa Kudrow). One day, however, his parents surprise him with a baby brother (Alec Baldwin), and Tim starts to feel all he cherished slipping away from him. Tim notices some strange behavior from the new baby, including the fact that he wears a suit, and learns that he can talk and works for a company called BabyCorp. “Boss Baby” is on a mission to learn the evil plans of their cuteness rival, PuppyCorp, and Tim must work together with him if he is to get his parents back to themselves.

This is actually a pretty interesting concept for a film. It has tons of potential to explore the feelings of an older sibling dealing with a new baby taking over the house (in other words, becoming the boss), with a lot of opportunities for humor along the way. And for the first 30 minutes or so, it does this pretty well. But once Tim officially learns what’s going on with Boss Baby (that is his actual name, by the way), it pretty much gives that up and becomes a by-the-numbers animation. The plot is incredibly predictable and formulaic, and some of it comes off pretty forced as well. After Tim agrees to help Boss Baby, take a moment to try and predict the rest of the movie. You’ll probably be right.

The humor is also only half successful. The comedic potential for babies acting like adults is huge. That’s why Stewie Griffin is such a popular character. And you can’t get much better than Alec Baldwin for this role. There are actually some really funny jokes in here, most of them using this comedic hook. But a lot of them are also really repetitive, and the amount of juvenile jokes is just ridiculous. No one should ever be subjected to that much baby butt. Boss Baby himself can get a little tiring as well. His shtick never lets up, and that will definitely start to grate on some viewers.

One area where The Boss Baby truly succeeds is in animation. It’s not photo-realistic or anything as impressive as the most recent Pixar films, but it’s reminiscent of an old cartoon, which makes the complete zaniness feel a little more comfortable. Every once in awhile, the film will show us a scene out of Tim’s imagination, and the almost 2D animation is so colorful and looks absolutely gorgeous. These scenes are some of the best in the film. They look great, they add to Tim’s character, and they’ll feel nostalgic for adults.

That said, the large focus on Tim’s imagination can throw you off a bit. Sometimes you’ll start to wonder if this is all real or if he’s imagining the whole thing. There’s enough evidence to believe that it’s real though, so it just comes off as clumsy work on the part of director Tom McGrath and screenwriter Michael McCullers. In the end, The Boss Baby is just an okay film. It starts off with a lot of potential, but throws it away in favor of generic animation fare. But it’s often funny, looks good, and is pretty clever with its increasingly ridiculous world building. Your kids will probably enjoy it, so it’s a respectable distraction.

Grade: 6/10

• Like 1

On 2017-05-29 at 8:35 AM, John Rambo said:

I liked it alot. Premise might sound silly/stupid to some but this movie is all about 90mins of unadulterated fun. Baby as central theme, Take my money. 

When i watched this in theater it was filled with Families i guess me n my bro where the odd one out :D 

Cute, Funny, Emotional,Feel Good Entertainer. 

9/10

PS: Sequels coming out on 2021. I feel its too late.

You're not alone on this, dude. I also really liked it/loved it very much. 😊

I finally bought The Boss Baby on DVD......and i can clearly see how and why it as well as it did. It's a charming cute movie about two brothers trying to bond with each other.

And also, Alec Baldwin as the Boss Baby himself....he pretty much nails it. You can clearly tell it's the same guy who brought other 2 Dreamworks animated characters to life, like Santa Claus himself: Nicholas St. North from Rise of the Guardians & the Lion Makunga from Madagascar 2.

Think about it. A lion, the santa, and a baby. 3 Dreamworks-movie roles for Alec!

Also, i liked the character of Tim Templeton. He's pretty much up there with Hiccup from "HTTYD", Guy from "The Croods" and surprise, surprise....Sherman from "Mr. Peabody & Sherman"....as one of my favorite male Dreamworks protagonists of this decade. He's also a relatable character for the boys and girls. We had little baby brothers/sisters before, and while one may not like the other at first....in time though, you start to warm up to your younger sibling.

As expected, since it surprisingly pleased me....I'll give this a definite A. It gave me a similar surprise like what "Home" gave me back in 2015.

Dreamworks! You made a big hit with this film....and i applaude you for that. Although I'm sad that Captain Underpants underperformed box offfice-wise. But still....I'm excited for the sequel.

• Like 1

The 'climax' of the heartfelt argument was dumb for a movie that clearly didn't take itself too seriously, but besides that...Captain Underpants might be the better story overall - hell, it has a story, I find this to be a running joke that, surprisingly, actually doesn't get tired throughout an hour and a half - but damn if I didn't end up enjoying this one more. 

B