WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

$40M overseas opening for Ghost in the Shell.

That isn't as bad as I was expecting after the bad US number.

Depending on how it does in Japan and China, could get over $200M worldwide and save some face.

No sequel, of course. Same as Power Rangers (ha!). 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm going to open it because the actual numbers are trickling in now. The other moderators are not online right now but when they do get online and they will be coming here immediately and if this talk continues I would imagine this thread will be shut down for the day. Fair warning guys.

This is quite stifling in my opinion.

We talk numbers here. And what influences those numbers. Talks of "whitewashing" is a major influencer in GitS's performance. Many Asian Americans (and those few Asian American celebs) are actively encouraging their friends (and following) to not see this film. As long as no one is actively targeting or attacking someone else, civilized talk about why this movie tank is acceptable. 

I don't see how bobble head emojis and gifs are preferred over actual talk about why a film's BO is a certain way. Some conversations are difficult; we want more safe places and less censorship. Unless, the weekends thread is a purely numbers only thread, which I don't think is the case.

--

I did not see BB doing this good. D:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, passerby said:

We talk numbers here. And what influences those numbers. Talks of "whitewashing" is a major influencer in GitS's performance. Many Asian Americans (and those few Asian American celebs) are actively encouraging their friends (and following) to not see this film. As long as no one is actively targeting or attacking someone else, civilized talk about why this movie tank is acceptable. 

I don't see how bobble head emojis and gifs are preferred over actual talk about why a film's BO is a certain way. Some conversations are difficult; we want more safe places and less censorship. Unless, the weekends thread is a purely numbers only thread, which I don't think is the case.

--

The mods didn't shut down the thread because of censorship. They shut it down because it started getting nasty and personal. They most likely deleted those comments but they were there. 

There have been plenty of conversations in this thread alone about the supposed white washing. Talks about how the setting could have changed or which direction the film should have went were all here. And a lot of these conversations were actually great and insightful imo....until some members decide to take it too far. 

Its just when the discussion becomes personal and members start attacking other members is when the thread is being locked. That's not censorship. It's called being a mod. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, passerby said:

--

I agree it's more relevant than gif after gif, which crashes my phone. 

But at this point it is kind of redundant. We will never know why it did poorly. The movie isn't that great and the reviews reflect that.

GitS will lilkely come in under $19 million OW. Did not really care for the marketing. The thing that sinks these type of films is the price tag. They made Lucy, which I did not like at all even as a Fifth Element fan, for what, $40 million?  

1 minute ago, straggler said:

GitS will lilkely come in under $19 million OW. Did not really care for the marketing. The thing that sinks these type of films is the price tag. They made Lucy, which I did not like at all even as a Fifth Element fan, for what, $40 million?  

From what I remember of LUCY, it had significantly less-complicated production design and VFX. 

2 minutes ago, Frozen said:

I agree it's more relevant than gif after gif, which crashes my phone. 

But at this point it is kind of redundant. We will never know why it did poorly. The movie isn't that great and the reviews reflect that.

Usually I think it's obvious in retrospect why a film didn't do well. In the case of Ghost in the Shell, the movie began production with bad press (the whole whitewashing stuff) and nothing in the marketing or the execution indicated it recovered from that.

• Like 1

Probably didn't help that Paramount has been on a losing streak for a while now also.

I'm sure if GitS was still with Disney marketing would've been more aggressive.

Edited by cookie

Just now, filmlover said:

Usually I think it's obvious in retrospect why a film didn't do well. In the case of Ghost in the Shell, the movie began production with bad press (the whole whitewashing stuff) and nothing in the marketing or the execution indicated it recovered from that.

For all the spectacle, it also doesn't really offer anything new. You sit there reminded of other, better movies. 

And this is coming from someone who generally liked it more than most.