WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Why does Dane Dehaan look like a total player in the Valerian trailer? :qotd:

Dude went from looking like dorky Dicaprio to Titanic Dicaprio.

If I'm Leo, I would be looking at this guy and asking for a DNA test.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Momo said:

Yeah, the OS numbers are pretty brutual for it. I mean in comparison GITS has already made what 40M OS in just 32 markets or so. Lionsgate has to fine out what went wrong OS,because any way you slice it 32M or so OS in a two week total is bad.

I believe its 52 markets but still yea GITS is doing just fine internationally when compared to PR. PR beat GITS domestically but GITS has the upper hand on the international markets. 

• Like 1

Just now, RiffRanger said:

Lionsgate's stake in Power Rangers was only around $55 million with their $25 million share of the budget and $30 million in marketing.  It's already made them over $10 million and will likely settle in with $80-90 million total DOM.  That's not a flop.  It's not a runaway success, but it's definitely not a flop.  So, yeah, it will come down to OS numbers.  The numbers so far haven't been good, but it also hasn't opened in the markets with the biggest potential yet.  Again, I think it can easily break $200 million WW.  Not a runaway success, but definitely not a flop and definitely enough for Lionsgate to try again. A second, better movie could definitely take off more than this first movie has, especially if it focuses on the Green Ranger, which is the franchise's ace in the hole.  

For non-fans, the Green Ranger means literally nothing. Maybe the fans will go crazy, but they showed up this time already.

This is a common mistake I have seen franchise fans make - just because something appeals in a big way to the fans does not mean that the rest of the GA gives two hoots. The TMNT fans were the same way with Bebop and Rocksteady.

• Like 7

Just now, grim22 said:

For non-fans, the Green Ranger means literally nothing. Maybe the fans will go crazy, but they showed up this time already.

This is a common mistake I have seen franchise fans make - just because something appeals in a big way to the fans does not mean that the rest of the GA gives two hoots. The TMNT fans were the same way with Bebop and Rocksteady.

I dispute the accuracy of your first sentence. The Green Ranger's introduction is one of the plot points that everybody who ever watched the show at its height, whether they're currently fans or (mostly) not, remembers fondly. That's a lot of people that will be at least tempted to go see it. It's the "Optimus Prime dying" moment of the franchise.

This forum is great. I mean, i just started posting but i was lurking around here since 2013 and it never fails to entertain or be informative. I was in quite a few other box office and game forums and they were often just toxic. Here the only toxic useres are often the few ones who are blaming the forum to be toxic.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RiffRanger said:

Lionsgate's stake in Power Rangers was only around $55 million with their $25 million share of the budget and $30 million in marketing.  It's already made them over $10 million and will likely settle in with $80-90 million total DOM.  That's not a flop.  It's not a runaway success, but it's definitely not a flop.  So, yeah, it will come down to OS numbers.  The numbers so far haven't been good, but it also hasn't opened in the markets with the biggest potential yet.  Again, I think it can easily break $200 million WW.  Not a runaway success, but definitely not a flop and definitely enough for Lionsgate to try again. A second, better movie could definitely take off more than this first movie has, especially if it focuses on the Green Ranger, which is the franchise's ace in the hole.  

No offense but other than the die hard fans, no one cares about the Green Ranger. Sure they can green light a sequel. But it would be pretty dumb to do so. The international market for the PR films is simply not there and a sequel isn't going to magically change that. 

The only way a sequel gets green lit is if the budget gets cut in half and Lionsgate can persuade their international distributors in investing in a sequel and to be honest after being burned so many times within the past year or two by the same studio, I highly doubt any international distributor is interested in a PR sequel. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I don't just mean from an interest perspective.  It just makes for a better movie.  If they don't mess with the groundwork the Green With Evil arc from the show laid too much, they can easily make a much more enthralling movie which, ideally, WOULD bring in the GA more.  

Just now, Brainbug said:

This forum is great. I mean, i just started posting but i was lurking around here since 2013 and it never fails to entertain or be informative. I was in quite a few other box office and game forums and they were often just toxic. Here the only toxic useres are often the few ones who are blaming the forum to be toxic.

Same. I started following Box Office around 2012. Back in 2015, I used to be a casual IMDB user until I saw the hostility, trolling, and overall toxicness of the site and left after a month. I joined here about a year ago and I love everything here: The community, clubs, games, and everything else.

• Like 5

Why, of ALL the weekends, has this one been the craziest thread? On the face of it, there should not be much to discuss normally.

I agree there is a whitewashing discussion to be made but the ridiculous extent to which the discussions have escalated is weird.

• Like 12

Just now, grim22 said:

Why, of ALL the weekends, has this one been the craziest thread? On the face of it, there should not be much to discuss normally.

I agree there is a whitewashing discussion to be made but the ridiculous extent to which the discussions have escalated is weird.

Blame the creator of this thread.

7 minutes ago, straggler said:

I agree. But what was the anticipated market for GitS? Even with the critical torching I think Sony was on the right track with Passengers. The holiday release date, the recent track record of films like Gravity and The Martian, the space romance aspect, the stars. The idea box office-wise was corrrect even if it took some crazy turns and could been executed better. Pasengers with a normal RT score, something in the 50s or low 60s, would have been very interesting, and there was enough to survive a nasty critical hit job. I cannot say the same thing about GitS. 

At the end of the day Passengers legged it out to about $100 million domestic and added another $200 million from the international market. GITS will be lucky to make half of what Passengers did domestically and the international market in terms of legs remain to be seen but $200 million is the ceiling for it. I don't think its going to explode the way folks think it is in China simply because Kong is still dominating and F8 is going to overtake the market in two weeks. Passengers was able to get $45 million from China. I don't see GITS getting there.