alisson23

September: The cursed month. Will IT break its curse?

On the subject of kids are back in school in September (mid August where I live actually), kids are in school in February, March and April, but as the past few years have shown, movies can still make bank while kids are in school. Guardians and Suicide Squad have shown that August isn't the barren wasteland it was thought to be in the past, and it's only a matter of time before someone schedules an appealing movie in September that makes a lot of money. It, while it might be open to insane numbers, looks like it could be really leggy. But a big September OW is not that far away, I feel.

• Like 2

Just now, Gokai Red said:

On the subject of kids are back in school in September (mid August where I live actually), kids are in school in February, March and April, but as the past few years have shown, movies can still make bank while kids are in school. Guardians and Suicide Squad have shown that August isn't the barren wasteland it was thought to be in the past, and it's only a matter of time before someone schedules an appealing movie in September that makes a lot of money. It, while it might be open to insane numbers, looks like it could be really leggy. But a big September OW is not that far away, I feel.

The first half of August has never been a barren wasteland. It's the second half when studios dump everything (which allows holdovers released before then to show staying power).

4 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

There's a HUGE difference when a movie focusing on female audiences, that already has a (big) fandom established breaks this record, and when a Horror movie do this. 

Power Rangers had 150M views in 2 days on all platforms, and also XXX had 80M in one day. Our forum fetishizes trailer views for some reason. Just because people view a trailer does not mean they will watch a movie.

Didn't you track the Rings viral prank which got like 200M views or something, in the end Rings opened to very low numbers despite everyone seemingly watching the promo. Trailer views =/= people wanting to buy a ticket for the movie.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I could see 2 movies this September doing 50M opening tbh. I think Kingsman could really build upon the first film if marketing is good.

3 maybe. If Emoji flops and DM3 does around under $300M to barely over, perhaps Ninjago could breakout. However that's unlikely.

6 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

If Split and Get Out had swapped release dates, I think Get Out would have made $200 million.

This. It definitely would have. It was hurt by the competition. split had none. 

3 hours ago, YourMother said:

3 maybe. If Emoji flops and DM3 does around under $300M to barely over, perhaps Ninjago could breakout. However that's unlikely.

I think WB would be happy if Ninjago did $35-45m OW, Storks underperformed last year so it's a real test since it's relying on the Ninjago brand and not Batman.

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

Kingsman seems like a movie that built on its popularity on home video. I can see an increase 

The CinemaCon footage was pure tent pole stuff as well.  I still hope they move it to Aug. 4th and make a truckload of money.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If only the other real Amazing Amy (Pascal) were still at Sony to spill the details via leaked emails.

The funniest part is when they drug her out on stage to stand there like a good during the Spider-Man presentation.  Their 2 biggest movies in the presentation (Spider-Man: Homecoming and Blade Runner 2049) aren't even really their movies.  

Sony is awful right now.  They lucked into Jumanji at least.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

The funniest part is when they drug her out on stage to stand there like a good during the Spider-Man presentation.  Their 2 biggest movies in the presentation (Spider-Man: Homecoming and Blade Runner 2049) aren't even really their movies.  

Do you think Jumanji will do well? The original was a hit

5 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Why did Sony have Blade Runner as a part of their package? Isn't that a WB release.