baumer

***************Stephen King's IT BOOK SPOILER THREAD************** BOOK SPOILERS ARE FAIR GAME MOVIE SPOILERS ARE NOT!!!**** ONLY DISCUSS THE BOOK THERE IS ANOTHER THREAD FOR THE MOVIE.

7 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

Before I read any of this, can anybody tell me if it spoils the adult part of the story, or only the kids part?

well so far this thread is about the book so it spoils both since it's all part of the same book

so if you want to stay spoiler free for the movie too, I would skip this thread completely :P 

Edited by 75livesinDerry

3 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

PLEASE NO MOVIE SPOILERS.....USE THE RTM THREAD FOR THAT.

You may want to alter the title or move this then. As it being moved to movie discussion again, made me assume that it was the film spoiler thread. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Maybe it might just be time to lock this since the movie is now out.

@chasmmi can you start and IT spoiler thread as a new thread please?

Have moved this to Speakeasy and unlocked it. 

Please do not discuss the film here. There is a thread for that in the Movie forum. 

Moderators, if you see any mention of the movie here, please delete or move depending on whether it also spoils book plot points. 

• Like 1

Something from the book had me thinking.  It seemed King was trying to explain It's backstory by some of the revelations with the kids.  When Richie does the smokehouse and hallucinates, how much of that is true about how It came to earth and how much of it is just something Richie saw and interpreted his own way.  Is King deliberately giving backstory through the visions of the children?  I know it is later clarified during the final chapters when King is writing from It's POV, but still it just had me wondering.  They go to the library and look up CHUD and somehow it works.  But maybe it is just the bond that works?

Anyways, what a great great book.  One thing I give King props for is how he tells the story through the POV of like 15 different personalities or different types of people.  He really travels around the entire world in this book.  I do not know how the hell he wrote this.  What a crazy man!  Sitting somewhere in the 80's for 4 years typing this shit out.  Booze and coke?  Wow.  I wished the book went on a little further.  Like what exactly happened to the kids after the incidents.  What happened when Bev returned home to her father? 

I thought in the miniseries they did a pretty bad job of developing the kids.  I did not buy Bill as a strong leader and the Barrens sucked.  I am glad I read the novel before rewatching the miniseries so I could imagine something else totally different.  At age 31, reading this book has been my biggest literary feat of my life.  1,153 pages and I am mature enough to understand it.  I tried reading this book at like the age of 13 and I got bored and did not understand it.  Now I just wonder how the hell he wrote it. 

• Like 2

is there another It fan thread here for the novel?  I want to dive into this thing.  So many good phrases.  Of course I forgot them because my memory sucks.  He really understands coming of age shit well.  Not only that but he sticks with them 27 years later. 

Edited by Thematrixfilm
  • Like 1

Well if you have been reading the thread you'll see that it is my favorite novel of all time and it's not even close. I would definitely love to talk to you more about it for sure.

• Like 1

It takes on the form of what the children fear, but is Pennywise the dancing clown one of his own forms, independent of any particular kids imagination.  The miniseries said how the spider shape is the best thing It can take form into in order to feed.  I assume that It takes on the form of Pennywise to interact and scare children and it takes on the form of Mr. Gray for the same reasons?  So the spider, Mr Gray, and Pennywise are all of its chosen forms??

It seems like Pennywise sells himself to George, but with everyone else he wastes no time scaring the crap out of kids and scaring them away.  With everyone else, Pennywise will appear and act strange, then snarl or something, giving people a chance to run away and no time to lure them in.  I never got that.  It is not a good way to sell yourself to get the food, but the book says he has to feed on fear.  So he has to scare them first.  But that brings be back to the first sentence.  With Georgie it was all cotton candy and popcorn until he reached in far enough for the boat to get his arm ripped off.    It is like in Return of the Jedi when the emperor is sitting in his throne selling the dark side to Luke by saying "Kill your father and fulfill your destiny at my side.   THis is where you will be from now on"  it is like.....yeah okay, I'd rather die then join you.  The emporer could not make the dark side seem more unappealing than in ROTJ.  Was Luke just expected to roll over and serve the emporer just because the emperor wanted him to?

I didn't like the TV movie all that much.

Since you have read the book, the reason he scares the kids in the movie is not the same reason he does it in the book.  In the book, the seven of them are special in some way.  It's like they were put there for some mystical reason to fight IT.  That is touched upon in the movie at the end when Bill says that the reason he couldn't kill Bev is because wasn't scared of Pennywise.  But the book goes much deeper than that.  At the apocalyptic rock fight, when Mike joins them, he says to the group, "Seven" as in you now have seven to fight Bowers.  At first Bill says, "There's six of us here, I'm pretty sure we can take you on"  and then Mike joins them and makes it seven.  Once Bowers leaves, Mike, as the narrator, says that once the seven of them were together, it felt right, like they were being guided to form a group.  There were other kids who came to the group, like that kid from Bill's speech therapy group but he was never really a part of the group.  They didn't know why, they just knew that he didn't belong.  But Mike did.  And when all seven of them got together, they were being guided by something.  That something might have been the turtle, who was the yang to the ying of Pennywise.  It's also why the sex scene makes sense.  

So when Pennywise lures the kids in, like George and the others, he does so because he can.  But he can't do it with the seven of them.  Together they have a power.  It's why he tries to get Henry to kill them as adults.  He breaks him out of Juniper Hill (with the help of Christine, the 58 fury).  He needs human help to beat the losers because he knows there's something special about them.  

• Like 1

And to piggyback off what baumer said, this is why IT scares them as adults to try to get them to leave sgain.  IT is scared that if they remember and come together again they can not only hurt him again but finish the job.

• Like 1

Stephen King said he would not write a sequel, but if he did, I read an interesting idea someone posted on a stephen king forum.  He said 27 years later (perhaps) some kids could be investigating the Derry floods of 1985 and be interviewing Mike Hanlon at the library, just like how Mike Hanlon use to interview people.

http://stephenking.com/xf/index.php?threads/it-continued.14072/