chasmmi

TOP 100 VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS OF ALL TIME POLL - Countdown will start on Korean Tuesday, will accept lists up until first reveal because I am nice (and also one high position is tied and I want that tie broken)

1 hour ago, cannastop said:
  1. Chrono (Chrono Trigger)
  2. Mario (Super Mario Bros.)
  3. Link (The Legend of Zelda)
  4. Slime (Dragon Quest)
  5. Frog (Chrono Trigger)
  6. Princess Peach (Super Mario Bros.)
  7. Toad (Super Mario Bros.)
  8. Bowser (Super Mario Bros.)
  9. Cloud (Final Fantasy VII)
  10. Cecil (Final Fantasy IV)
  11. Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog)
  12. Tony Hawk (Tony Hawk Pro Skater)
  13. Lil Mac (Punch-Out!!)
  14. Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
  15. Donkey Kong (Donkey Kong)
  16. Claude (Grand Theft Auto III)
  17. Bub and Bob (Bubble Bobble)
  18. Vault Boy (Fallout)
  19. Jak and Daxter (Jak and Daxter)
  20. Sora (Kingdom Hearts)

pac man is literally just a filled circle which loses a quarter every other frame

Always preferred strategy games so my favourite games don't really have characters, I could start listing units like Carrier from Starcraft but it would be silly. Hard to think of my favourite characters from all the games I've played so I googled famous video game characters then picked out the ones I liked and ordered them. 

I only picked characters from games I've completed or played the majority of.

h8bxSnchlJkmgAAAABJRU5ErkJgggA=

Spoiler

1    Gman    Half Life
2    Tidus     Final Fantasy 10
3    Snake     Metal Gear Solid
4    Gywn of Cinder    Dark Souls
5    Seymour     Final Fantasy 10
6    Jowy    Suikoden 2
7    Gordan Freeman    Half Life
8    Master Cheif    Halo
9    Chun Li    Street Fighter
10    Pyramid Head    Silent Hill 2
11    Sephiroth    Final Fantasy 7
12    Gerald    Witcher
13    Liquid Snake    Metal Gear Solid
14    Yuna     Final Fantasy 10
15    The Horned Reaper    Dungeon Keeper
16    Revoler Ocelote     Metal Gear Solid
17    Raiden     Metal Gear Revangance
18    Link    Zelda
19    Garret    Theif
20    Arthas Menethil    Warcraft 3
21    Gremio    Suikoden
22    Lara Croft    Tomb Raider
23    Shodan     System Shock 2
24    Illidan     Warcraft 3
25    Auron    Final Fantasy 10
26    Big Daddy    Bioshock
27    Ryu    Street Fighter
28    Commander Shepard    Mass Effect
29    Luc    Suikoden
30    Little Sister    Bioshock
31    Max Payne    Max Payne
32    Dante    Devil May Cry
33    Lee Sin    League Of Legends
34    Agent 47    Hitman
35    Cloud    Final Fantasy 7
36    Scorpian    Moral Kombat
37    Cammy    Street Figher
38    Glados    Portal
39    Nathan Drake    Uncharted
40    Kratos     God Of War
41    Guybrush Threepwood    Monkey Island
42    Crash Bandicoot    Crash Bandicoot
43    Jack    Borderlands 2
44    Bowser    Mario
45    Luguio    Mario
46    Prince    Prince Of Persia
47    Sub Zero    Mortal Kombat
48    Cortana    Halo
49    Trist (witcher)    Witcher
50    Sonic    Sonic
51    Barney     Half Life
52    Duke Nukem    Duke Nukem
53    Sam Ficher     Spinter Cell
54    Mario    Mario
55    John Marston    Red Dead Redemption
56    Marcus Fenix     Gears Of War
57    Donkey Kong    Donkey Kong
58    Bayonetta    Bayonetta
59    Corvo Attano    Dishonered
60    Ezio Auditore    Assassins Creed

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Always preferred strategy games so my favourite games don't really have characters, I could start listing units like Carrier from Starcraft but it would be silly. Hard to think of my favourite characters from all the games I've played so I googled famous video game characters then picked out the ones I liked and ordered them. 

I only picked characters from games I've completed or played the majority of.

h8bxSnchlJkmgAAAABJRU5ErkJgggA=

Reveal hidden contents

Gordon Freeman?

He doesn't speak and you see out of his eyes the entire time. He is as much a character as a ghost in Pac Man. I love Half Life as much as the next but come on.

3 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Gordon Freeman?

He doesn't speak and you see out of his eyes the entire time. He is as much a character as a ghost in Pac Man. I love Half Life as much as the next but come on.

yes I see the irony for calling out the pacman post but honestly gordan and pacman are fine picks as they're iconic as hell.

A lot of my adolescence was spent on the half life series, team fortress, portal, counter strike and even gmod. Gordon is the man who started it all. I had a steam account in 2004.

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

yes I see the irony for calling out the pacman post but honestly gordan and pacman are fine picks as they're iconic as hell.

A lot of my adolescence was spent on the half life series, team fortress, portal, counter strike and even gmod. Gordon is the man who started it all. I had a steam account in 2004.

Pac Man is just as ridiculous.

Characters who are essentially blank slate player avatars have no business near this list IMO.

5 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Pac Man is just as ridiculous.

Characters who are essentially blank slate player avatars have no business near this list IMO.

most the famous video game characters are blank slate player avatars though, look at Mario.

It wasn't specified that we're voting for personality of the character, so I'll vote this way. Voting for the personality of the character seems like a silly way of dong it for the medium, seems almost like a niche side list you could do. We ain't playing books here.,

9 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

most the famous video game characters are blank slate player avatars though, look at Mario.

It wasn't specified that we're voting for personality of the character, so I'll vote this way. Voting for the personality of the character seems like a silly way of dong it for the medium, seems almost like a niche side list you could do. We ain't playing books here.,

Gee, I wonder what makes a character a character, rather than just pixels on a screen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

Gee, I wonder what makes a character a character, rather than just pixels on a screen.

I understand both arguments and expect the list to be littered with both.

On one hand someone like Nathan Drake has more character in the open 10 mins of his first game than Mario has in 30 years. But if I showed a picture of each to passers by, I know which will be the most noticed and iconic.

Hell even today, I expect a Mario film (even after the last one) announcement would be met with more GA interest than Uncharted.

So personally my list will be a mix of great game characters that made a game better for being living breathing entities that I cared for, and iconic titular characters that epitomise the games that defined my game playing youth.

Kind of in the same way that Minions from Despicable Me and Rick Blaine are impossible to rate side by side as one is a comedy distraction and the other is an amazing pure distraction. However Minions have gone on pretty much be the symbol of Illumination animation and that is something that creates an argument for them being on a film character list. 

So yeah, folks like Drake and Kratos whose stories I enjoyed following will be high on my list, but so will a bunch of plumbers and monkeys because they are synonymous with my gaming development.

(I may even end up with Koopa Troopa near my top 75 :D ) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

I think icon status matters a whole lot.

My opinion is the character part of character means the most by far.

Mario is an icon, sure, but as a character he's merely a tool to explore gameplay. There's nothing to him.

So many "iconic" characters will not be on my list since that status comes from the legacy of their games rather than anything all that notable about themselves.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

My opinion is the character part of character means the most by far.

Mario is an icon, sure, but as a character he's merely a tool to explore gameplay. There's nothing to him.

So many "iconic" characters will not be on my list since that status comes from the legacy of their games rather than anything all that notable about themselves.

To defend Mario, Mario does have personality. Just the only way to see any of it is to play the more RPG types of his games. (Of course, Luigi is way more fleshed out as a character in these instances.)

Link is still a blank slate of nothingness, unless you want to count him having a cartoon series giving him personality.