YM!

YourMother's Insane Wet, then Spooky, then Festive 2017 Domestic Predictions

6/16/17

Cars 3 (Ka3how!!!)

$65M/$210M (3.23x)

From the studio who has created numerous animated classics and Cars 2, come the sequel almost no one wanted: Cars 3. Despite that Cars 3 could have potential to do decent business before DM3 come out, Dory proved Pixar can make a good sequel outside of the Toy Story franchise. I see this as a smaller Moana but with Monsters University like legs.

Rough Night (Show me the Scarlet!)

$30M/$100M (3.33x)

With decent reception so far This movie reminds me so much of Bad Teacher, I could see a breakout for this one. Also ScarJo, McKinnon, Glazer, and Bell, this could be the big female comedy of 2017, unless Girl's Trip breaks out.

All Eyes on Me

$18M/$60M (3.33x)

This should do decent enough business.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

6/23/17

Transformers: The Last Knight (Paramount's #1 Franchise)

$90M/$190M (2.11x)

Transformers has been on a downward spiral domestically, and although it looks like no one cares, I can see the fanbase rushing out OW, and then it drops like a stone(r).

• Like 2

6/30/17

Despicable M3 (Minions 4 by Illuminati) 

$105M/$325M (3.1x)

As usual, Illumination releases another $300M+ domestic grossing movie, angering the majority of the forum, @WrathOfHan mainly. However this won't be as big as Minions, Pets or DM2, I'm expecting a slight franchise fatigue for the Despicable franchise. Unfortunately for me, I may have to see this due babysitting.

The House

$35M/$100M (2.86x)

Will Ferrel plus Amy Poehler, in a hyped up comedy movie should put this on course for about $100M.

Baby Driver (by some Brit)

$10M (3 Day)/$17M (5 Day)/$50M (5x 3 Day OW, 2.94x 5 Day total)

Looks like a fun movie that the GA may like however let's not expect huge numbers for this.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

7/7/17

(The Amazing Spectacular Sony) Spider-Man Homecoming 

$130M/$325M (2.5x)

Spider-Man returns to cinema for his sixth movie. Normally I'd say Spidey would do around $250M, however the addition of Iron Man and the power of MCU (and if Disney pays the critics again), will give it a big OW however not expecting great legs due to July.

• Like 3

7/14/17

(Dawn of the Rise of the) War of The Planet of The Apes

$90M/$240M (2.67x)

As part of the beloved Apes franchise along great hype and reactions, I have no doubt in my mind that this will be a hit. Guessing a opening about the same as Logan but with better legs.

• Like 2

Spoiler

You are now about to witness the biggest summer battle

7/21/17

Dunkirk (NolanxStyles is the new otp)

$50M/$175M (3.5x)

With God Nolan in charge, the WB's marketing machine, and possibly tweenage to teenage girls, Dunkirk will be the movie we deserve, but expect a small but big OW (Small compared to  Nolan's other films) with a frontloaded Friday due to 1D fans and we call it a flop, but has great legs due to lack of films for the older crowds.

Girl's Trip (Guuuuuuurrrrrrrrrlllllllllllllllllllll!)

$25M/$90M (3.6x)

Although I don't think it'll be as big as some of the other comedies this year, it will definitely attract women and African Americans. If this gets great reviews, I wouldn't be surprised for $100M+

Valerian and The City of a Thousand Planets 

@That One Guy beware

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

$20M/$50M (2.5x)

Although this has trailer views, it may join Creech in the title of big bombs this year. It won't attract families, nor will it attract anyone else in general. That being said, I expect a OW around the 20's with a total around the 50's.

7/28/17

The Emoji Movie (?????????)

$45M/$140M (3.11x)

Not going to lie this movie looks like pure cancer, however so did many animated movies like Smurfs 1, Alvin 4, Trolls, and more. Since this, SMH, and TDT are Sony's only hope for franchises, we will witness non stop marketing for this pile of donkey ? featuring Patrick Stewart.

Atomic Blonde

$19M/$65M (3.4x)

This has been having great buzz and reactions so far, and while it won't be an atomic hit, it should do a decent amount of cash.

On 4/7/2017 at 8:13 PM, YourMother said:

One last one for today:

5/19/17

Alien: Covenant (Life 2)

$45M/$110M (2.44x)

With surprisingly good reactions and trailer views, along with 2017 being the year of horror, perhaps Alien could surprise us despite the bad taste Prometheus left in the mouth of the general audience.

Diary of A Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul (and still I can't believe it's not Rodrick)

$8.3M/$25M (3x)

With the large amount of dislikes per trailer, outcry against the new actor for Rodrick, and the down spiral of the Wimpy Kid franchise this looks like another Smurfs, except not even the tweens (8-12 years old) will flock to it.

Everything, Everything

$7M/$24M (3.43x)

This seems likely to be another surprise but here on the forums.

#notmyRoderick

On 4/7/2017 at 10:07 PM, YourMother said:

6/2/17 

Foreign Accent Smurfette (Gurl!)

$105M/$255M (2.43x)

Being the first female superhero movie in the revitalized age of superhero movies, I can guarantee you Foreign Accent Smurfette won't miss $200M domestic, or an $85M OW. The question is how big will Foreign Accent Smurfette be? Considering the negative reception by critics/mixed WOM of the DCEU, and what could be surprisingly effective family competition from CU and Pirates, I don't see $300M but it wouldn't surprise me either, again this is the first big female led superhero movie in a while.

Captain Underpants (Triggered Nudists)

$35M/$120M (3.43x)

Although it had it's first trailer 2 weeks ago, CU has a lot going for it. The last big family film (Smurfs) will finish around $50M domestic, and no one cares about Spark or Wimpy Kid 4. CU is also based of a bestselling children's books, has the potential nostalgia card, and DWA's films has been massively underestimated here. However with Cars 3 and DM3 around the corner, this will be as high as Underpants flies.

Foreign Accent Smurfette is too low. The female demo is gonna get this past 300m

6 hours ago, YourMother said:

6/30/17

Despicable M3 (Minions 4 by Illuminati) 

$105M/$325M (3.1x)

As usual, Illumination releases another $300M+ domestic grossing movie, angering the majority of the forum, @WrathOfHan mainly. However this won't be as big as Minions, Pets or DM2, I'm expecting a slight franchise fatigue for the Despicable franchise. Unfortunately for me, I may have to see this due babysitting.

The House

$35M/$100M (2.86x)

Will Ferrel plus Amy Poehler, in a hyped up comedy movie should put this on course for about $100M.

I want DM3 to do 400m fro Treys sake

6 hours ago, chrisman0606 said:

@YourMother What with this whole Disney Pays Critics conspiracy bullshit.

Most people who say that here are joking, except for some DCEU apologists like Mredman and Napoleon

Just now, Fate of the Robertman2 said:

Most people who say that here are joking, except for some DCEU apologists like Mredman and Napoleon

What ever happened to Mredman?

Minor quibble with pirates 5, memorial day is usually about 20-23% of the 3-day. So if it does 85 through Sunday it'll do another 18 or so on Monday, 103 million 4-day.

Otherwise these are all very reasonable in my view.