AniNate

Roman Israel, Esq. | Dan Gilroy, Denzel/Colin Farrell | 11/17/17 limited

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

They should have flat out called the previous festival screenings "test screenings."

I imagine we're gonna see a lot more festival films be labeled as "tests" in the coming future.

I was saying Soldaldo could be the surprise screening at Sundance given it's already rated; maybe that could act as a test screening like this?

11 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

So does that mean all of the reviews posted before have to be taken down and all of the critics need to see the new cut?

It's probably up to the reviewers

Anyway, if the movie is better then good for them.  Much better to do it before it hits theaters than wait until the DVD Director's cut.

Maybe the biz could do with a little more public transparency with test screening reactions. Better to know for sure long in advance that you need to fix something as opposed to remaining cooped up in your bubble. 

Edited by tribefan695

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

Maybe the biz could do with a little more public transparency with test screening reactions. Better to know for sure long in advance that you need to fix something as opposed to remaining cooped up in your bubble. 

The issue with this is that releasing test screening reactions to the public will just cause trades to run with the headlines like "The movie has been described as awful" or similar reactions. Sites ran with "A friend of a friend heard that Wonder Woman is a mess from test screenings" for days altogether, don't think studios will want to risk that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The issue with this is that releasing test screening reactions to the public will just cause trades to run with the headlines like "The movie has been described as awful" or similar reactions. Sites ran with "A friend of a friend heard that Wonder Woman is a mess from test screenings" for days altogether, don't think studios will want to risk that.

Well, if they allowed more thoughtful, in-depth analyses like actual reviews that might help to avoid that sort of thing. That way they could actually get more of an idea of what isn't working. And I'd think they'd have the sense to not let a single reaction influence their decision making too much.

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

What do you mean by that, there is a lot of test screening for almost all big movies, public one (for the non Nolan big movies) and they talk to people directly to see what they liked did not like (or have them react in real time with buttons near their seat), what public transparency could add to the process ? They would not anything more, outside leaking the actual movie content.

14 minutes ago, Barnack said:

What do you mean by that, there is a lot of test screening for almost all big movies, public one (for the non Nolan big movies) and they talk to people directly to see what they liked did not like (or have them react in real time with buttons near their seat), what public transparency could add to the process ? They would not anything more, outside leaking the actual movie content.

Admittedly I'm not real familiar with the process but I feel like there is an issue with disconnects between test audiences and general audiences, and I suspect they don't account for how people feel about a movie after they've had a little time to think about it. I know I sometimes have issues pinpointing exactly what works and what doesn't work in a movie until I've had time to figure out how to articulate it. 

Maybe they don't necessarily need to be public but I don't think you get the most helpful feedback if you're completely reliant on immediate input (hence why Cinemascore is so unreliable).

Test audience has a lot of possible issues and can be very misleading.

Sample size, test audience that does not match the movie target audience at all (specially outside mainstream blockbuster, Black Swan, Boogie Night, etc... tested just terribly) and humans are terrible at knowing why they like or not like something (the rationalization of it is often all made up after Ad-hoc you didn't liked it for an other reason you are just not aware off or able to vocalize, there is some magic about tone/flow that you do not why it work so well)

Never thought about lack of times, a 3 days after feedback maybe could help in some ways, there is some critics screening that kept them inside with a a 30 minute or so Q&A and embargo so they do not react online immediately now I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Now opening in limited release on November 17 according to BOM. Pretty obvious it's going wide the following week (Thanksgiving).

With Coco being the only wide release on Thanksgiving, a lot of movies will expand that weekend. Not expecting huge TCs though.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, grim22 said:

With Coco being the only wide release on Thanksgiving, a lot of movies will expand that weekend. Not expecting huge TCs though.

Except for the great debater Denzel always achieved to get 2,000+ theater since 2002 too.