Fancyarcher

Film Scores 2017

So far this year I've listened to, The Wolverine - Not that bad, an actually improvement over Beltrami's previous The Wolverine score. Power Rangers - It's a Zimmer clone / Tron Legacy mashup, but it's a fun listen.  Kong: Skull Island - I like some of the guitar cues, but the rest of it is typical generic noisy Jackman. Easily the weakest of the Kong scores, and that includes King Kong Lives, which has an amazing score. The Great Wall - It's Raimin Djawadi, but it's actually not that bad. It's much more conventionally orchestrated, and there's some decent choral writing. Life - Even for a space horror score, boy is this bland & lifeless. 

Looking forward to The Last Jedi, Dunkirk, Valerian, Spider-Man: Homecoming, The Shape of Water, most of all this year. 

15 minutes ago, Kalo said:

The Ghost in the Shell score was actually pretty impressive. 

Haven't heard it yet, or even seen the film, but it's Mansell, so I'm expecting something atmospheric & impressive sounding. 

I've bought:

Fifty Shades Darker - Elfman

Logan - Beltrami

Tulip Fever - Elfman

A United Kingdom - Doyle

I only bought Logan because it was signed. I've not felt compelled to by any other scores from the movies I've seen.

4 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

I've bought:

Fifty Shades Darker - Elfman

Logan - Beltrami

Tulip Fever - Elfman

A United Kingdom - Doyle

I only bought Logan because it was signed. I've not felt compelled to by any other scores from the movies I've seen.

Yeah, it's a pretty weak year for film scores. I'm expecting it to pick up, but like last year the first few months are a bit rough in terms of actual good scores to listen to. 

I still need give the A United Kingdom a listen. I liked the film, and as heard in the movie it sounded very lush and romantic, and it's Doyle, so it's gotta be good. 

Just listened to The Mummy by Tyler. Some good adventure music, but boy does he need to learn how to calm things down. I swear he sometimes thinks he's composing for a huge opera or something.

Edited by Fancyarcher

War for the Planet of the Apes and IT had phenomenal soundtracks. Thor: Ragnarok's was also very good and the first MCU soundtrack for me that i found memorable. Dunkirks soundtrack only works in the film itself imo and Get Out had some really good tracks as well.

14 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

War for the Planet of the Apes and IT had phenomenal soundtracks. Thor: Ragnarok's was also very good and the first MCU soundtrack for me that i found memorable. Dunkirks soundtrack only works in the film itself imo and Get Out had some really good tracks as well.

Thor: Ragnarok was cool, and I liked Get Out's score. Another score this year that I really liked was Battle of The Sexes, which had a great 1970's retro feel to it. 

7 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Listening to The Foreigner's score and it's a damn fine slice of Martinez

I actually really hated this score and I like Martinez. But the synth was just TOO MUCH at times. Really overbearing for me.

3 hours ago, lilmac said:

Would be surprised if JW gets a nod for TLJ although I can see the Academy giving him a nomination because he's JW. His Post score was understated but good. 

I actually like TLJ's score a bit more than the already pheomenal TFA score.