Plain Old Tele

Fate of the Furious (aka Furious 8) (2017)

F8 of the Furious (2017)  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

4 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Is anyone else bothered by the random naming of the baby Brian as blatant attempt to draw tears from the audience? shit was gross

Yes hahah but its a nice tribute idea to Paul. 

However to me, it is 100000% breaking the 4th wall and only works because Paul died. Lets be real in actually context of the film/characters/ real life its stupid and makes no sense.  there is a 0%%%%%%% chance Dom would name his son Brian, if Brian and Mia are still alive. The reactions form the crew too are reacting as if Brian's dead, its super somber. 

If Dom called Brain to say he named his kid after him, Brian's first response would be like really after me, why!?  

In context of the film, Brian is still everyones buddies. They just see eachthter on the holidays only, its not like he's gone. Does anyone name there son after there brother in Law if he's still alive? 

Also, Dom has had multiple people he's known die.

Why didnt he name his son after Vince? He named his son after him

or His Dad

Or Leon

or Jessie

or Han

Brian? The white name you made fun of?  Again it doesn't really bother me, It makes sense to name him Brian, but if you think about it, its definitely a wink to audience no doubt

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 4

No joke, when Michelle Rodriguez brought up the Walker and Brewster characters early on when asked about turning to them for advice I was mildly worried that they were gonna pull some weird CGI resurrection trick later on and was relieved that they didn't.

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

He also throws three full grown men into another room.  I don't care how big and strong you are, you are not throwing three 200 pound men 20 feet across the room.

Yeah haha. Like there's that one shot where you see him going towards the three shield guys and then in the next you see all three FLYING through the air into the next room.

• Like 2

As someone who has at least enjoyed every previous film on some level, this film is pretty much hot garbage.  I checked out on the movie 20 minutes in; after the Rock's soccer coach scene and spent the rest of the time trying to find an excuse to check back in but found next to nothing.  Rock just isn't entertaining in this role anymore.  It's too much.   The rest of the cast is doing the same thing they always do, but again the enjoyment level has just run out for me.  I will say that Statham was great, but I don't really understand this notion that he just joins the fold after he and his brother were responsible for so much death involving the 'family'.

D+

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 4

I will say I really dug the whole scene in NYC with all the cars in the city being hacked in and controlled by Theron and creating something of a zombie apocalypse, as logic stretching as it may have gotten. Probably one of the series' more visually striking set pieces overall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I will say I really dug the whole scene in NYC with all the cars in the city being hacked in and controlled by Theron and creating something of a zombie apocalypse, as logic stretching as it may have gotten. Probably one of the series' more visually striking set pieces overall.

Yeah, especially when they all barreled around the corner at the same time. Those bits looked really cool despite the stupidity.

Other parts where they all pulled off in sync looked great as well. Some quality careography there.

:sparta:

• Like 1

Just now, aabattery said:

Yeah, especially when they all barreled around the corner at the same time. Those bits looked really cool despite the stupidity.

The coolest bit to me was the cars piling out from the high-rise parking garages and crashing all around as people ran everywhere to get out of harm's way. Felt like the franchise had finally fully embraced its increasingly cartoony nature there.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

However to me, it is 100000% breaking the 4th wall and only works because Paul died. Lets be real in actually context of the film/characters/ real life its stupid and makes no sense.  there is a 0%%%%%%% chance Dom would name his son Brian, if Brian and Mia are still alive. The reactions form the crew too are reacting as if Brian's dead, its super somber. 

If Dom called Brain to say he named his kid after him, Brian's first response would be like really after me, why!?  

In context of the film, Brian is still everyones buddies. They just see eachthter on the holidays only, its not like he's gone. Does anyone name there son after there brother in Law if he's still alive? 

or His Dad

Or Leon

or Jessie

or Han

Brian? The white name you made fun of?  Again it doesn't really bother me, It makes sense to name him Brian, but if you think about it, its definitely a wink to audience no doubt

If he named the baby Han right in front of Deckard Shaw, I would have howled with laughter

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, like are these movies just gonna forget that Jason Statham killed one of their familia in the last movie? Also, considering they never showed a body, I very, very, very much doubt we saw the last of Gal Gadot in these movies.

I liked his line about "are you really trying to kill a kid" when Brian's son was like one window from being blown up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aabattery said:

Other parts where they all pulled off in sync looked great as well. Some quality careography there.

:sparta:

I'm going to fly to New Zealand and beat the shit out of every goddamn Hobbit and sheep I see if you make one more pun like that

:WHATanabe:

• Like 1

Since I was nervous about what they were going to do with the future of this series after Paul Walker's death, and the departure of his character at the end of Furious 7, so I wasn't sure. But I overall liked this entry in the franchise, is the best of the series? No, but I will say that Fate Of The Furious has some fun car racing at the beginning, some cool action scenes such as the wrecking ball cars scene in Berlin, to Charlize Theron controlling and as well as destroying hundreds of cars in New York City. The improvements from Furious 7: the plot isn't as overall as the place as Furious 7, they finally focus on one thing and not several things, Furious 7 had the first plot with trying to catch Jason Statham and the second plot was involving God's Eye and trying to Dijomn Honsou's character, and the villain was an improvement as well played by Charlize Theron who wanted two things accomplished and that was to destroy the family and to get that EMP missile. The miscallenous stuff of the film I enjoyed Jason Stathman in the film as well as The Rock, and especially them arguing in jail was pretty fun, and this has been Statham's most fun performance yet! The Rock was also fun, and while weirdly enough to see but was entertaining was Helen Mirren's appearance which was fun and over the top.  Overall Fate Of The Furious is a successful right turn into the franchise after the departure of Paul Walker, and features some fun action scenes, and brings some new likable characters to the family as well still bringing back the family we remember from previous installments. Grade:high B(definitely would watch this again!)

This movie was essentially all over the place. It had a lot of good moments and some really bad ones. Honestly not sure how they're going to top this. My biggest gripe is probably that Dom gets to be free man again after everything he did. Like sure his family was kidnapped but you cant just go and steal nuclear launch codes and get away with it like nothing happened. Some scenes also felt a little to forced, like the whole thing with jason statham and the baby. Although I do wish Jason statham and the Rock had gotten more screen time together, they were easily the best part of the movie. The new york scene was probably the best, seeing all those cars crash and blow up was pretty amazing. 

I think for now I'll give it a B-.

Also its easy to see why Vin Diesel would want to cut out the Rock/Statham scene at the end. His character has become the equivalent of Ted Moseby where the rest of supporting cast is far more interesting and far more entertaining to watch. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

or His Dad

Or Leon

or Jessie

or Han

The best option was to name the baby Paul. That would have been a nice tribute, made sense in context and would have got the same reaction from the audience.

• Like 4

The way they handled The Rock and Diesel's interactions in this movie was hilarious. Every scene with The Rock featured great acting by Vin Diesel's back and vice versa. Its like the movies showing twins talking to each other by always having them in split screen and never showing them interacting with one another. 

Wonder what happened so bad that the two could not stand to be in one anothers presence.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

The way they handled The Rock and Diesel's interactions in this movie was hilarious. Every scene with The Rock featured great acting by Vin Diesel's back and vice versa. Its like the movies showing twins talking to each other by always having them in split screen and never showing them interacting with one another. 

Wonder what happened so bad that the two could not stand to be in one anothers presence.

My favourite was the when Vin was walking up to Dwayne in the crashed car. You could only see below Vin's neck and it was ever so slightly blurred.

It's so silly. I really want to know what their beef is.

• Like 3