Ezen Baklattan

THE THREAD OF THE FURIOUS: Friday #s (DHD, Pg 36) F8 45.5M, BB 6.6M, BATB 5.3M, Smurfs 2.9M, GIS 2.1M

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

People have been watching cam rips since the beginning of the internet, clearly it's not legal but convenience is a powerful draw.

I know but the fact that it's getting to the point where people don't even have to go on a site and new releases show up on YouTube and are shared on Facebook just upsets me. One of my Facebook friends actually just played Finding Dory for their kids from someone sharing a low quality cam on Facebook. I mean seriously ? 

Biggest surprises since I followed box office:

The Avengers 

Skyfall

acclaimed science-fiction film acclaimed science-fiction film Gravity

Frozen

The Lego Movie

Dragon 2 (didn't do as well as expected)

GOTG

Penguins (flopped)

American Sniper 

Jurassic World

Inside Out

The Good Dinosaur (Pixar's first flop)

Daddy's Home

Deadpool

The Jungle Book

Alice 2

Pets

Get Out (wasn't expecting over $150M, let alone $100M)

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Since I started following box office in 2012, the biggest surprises for me were (in chronological order but AS probably #1)

Skyfall

acclaimed science-fiction film acclaimed science-fiction film Gravity

Frozen

Lego Movie

GOTG

Maze Runner (OS in particular and it's legs)

American Sniper

Furious 7

Jurassic World

Deadpool

Daddy's Home

Split

Get Out

OH! I FORGOT FROZEN. IT DID MORE OS THAN IRON MAN 3.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Only when they have big stars (Lone Survivor, Fury, American Sniper) or are Oscar contenders (Hacksaw Ridge). The rest usually underperform or flop. All eyes will be on Dunkirk this summer, which is banking entirely on Nolan's drawing power from behind the camera since starpower in front is minimal.

Harry Styles gonna be bringing dat teen girl audience to the theater

32 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Jaw-dropping $190M debut wknd for in China - biggest Hollywood opening of all-time there. Already halfway to F7's $391M total.

I dont believe Universal is ready to give up on the USA....

Universal made more on the domestic boxoffice (100m × 50%) than China (190m x 25%)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

For me the biggest surprises of this decade are 

JW

ZOOTOPIA

AMERI. SNIPER

GET OUT

DEADPOOL

AVENGERS

JW = BLOCKBUSTER

ZOOTOPIA = BLOCKBUSTER

DEADPOOL = BLOCKBUSTER

AMERICAN SNIPER = BLOCKBUSTER

AVENGERS = BLOCKBUSTER

GET OUT = micro-budget indie film with unknown stars/director

Just now, That One Guy said:

Have you SEEN the twitter feed for the film?  95% of it is coming from Styles fans.

Twitter is meaningless for actual audiences, 90% of it is bots and it's the sole reason people on this board thought Power Rangers would outgross Kong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ocho said:

I dont believe Universal is ready to give up on the USA....

Universal made more on the domestic boxoffice (100m × 50%) than China (190m x 25%)

It's about trend lines, not where things are now. US box office is steadily eroding for most things, whereas Chinese is stable or growing. America (for the most part) can't sustain franchises based solely on itself anymore, that's the lesson of Transformers, Kong, and numerous other things.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trifle said:

This is why I try to stay away from box office predictions.  I never remotely saw this film making that kind of money.

You'll do it when JLaw is in it :P

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Depends on whether 10 is truly the last ride.

No one will believe them even if they market it as a last ride. However, a 20th anniversary marketing campaign could well give them an ow boost if not a final-dom boost.

Just now, drdungbeetle said:

It's about trend lines, not where things are now. US box office is steadily eroding for most things, whereas Chinese is stable or growing. America (for the most part) can't sustain franchises based solely on itself anymore, that's the lesson of Transformers, Kong, and numerous other things.

When China grows a decent Ancillary market call me.   As of 2014, every $1 earned at the US box office was on avg eventually worth $7 earned at the China B.O.    The US's isn't as strong as it was during the DVD heyday but it's still a huge stream of revenue and now there are tons of TV channels and a bunch of Streaming services fighting for content.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Only when they have big stars (Lone Survivor, Fury, American Sniper) or are Oscar contenders (Hacksaw Ridge). The rest usually underperform or flop. All eyes will be on Dunkirk this summer, which is banking entirely on Nolan's drawing power from behind the camera since starpower in front is minimal.

The fact it's not about America or China is gonna hurt. But Nolan claimed he is doing something different with this movie, more of a suspense film than war film. He will need strong WOM if he wants it to be successful. 

3 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

Gold and Premium members, voting for May backgrounds is now open.

Can we please get multiple May releases? I want this sexiness but know the forum is too basic and will go for GOTG:

Image result for alien covenant

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1