Ezen Baklattan

THE THREAD OF THE FURIOUS: Friday #s (DHD, Pg 36) F8 45.5M, BB 6.6M, BATB 5.3M, Smurfs 2.9M, GIS 2.1M

Jonathan Papish on Twitter reports about $23.4M for THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS on Monday in China. I'm guessing it'll do about $9M here in North America so that's $32.4M without factoring in the rest of the international markets. This will zoom right over the worldwide total of LOGAN tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

This one had a 250 million budget plus tons of millions spent for marketing and promotion. So, the real budget might damn well be 400 million or even more.

They just should keep these budgets in check and avoid inflating the productions.

I think that it would be a big mistake, the level of ridicule, the international exotic location shoot and the memorable giant set piece are the reason those movies work so well, and if that rumored 250 million number for it's budget is true, it is keeping the budget extremely low for that movie and cast, it is cheaper than a Amazing Spider Men movie.

48 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Kong might end up just about crossing 170M depending on the dollar theater boost. Power Rangers will most likely fall a bit short of 90M in the end. Logan won't catch DOFP and X3.

I had PR at 87M two weeks ago. Thinking it be closer to 85M now.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

The US gross (not the international gross) determines how much TV networks pay to buy the rights to the movie.

That was a surprise to me (that the international TV deal depend so much on the domestic market performance) I would have thought that it would have been more a market by market thing, I imagine it is for historical reason.

30 minutes ago, JB33 said:

F5-7 all did about a 2.4 multiplier. That's consistency so I'm going to go by that.

$235M- $240M is my guess for the final domestic number.

Not to nitpick but F6 was 2.45x (238.68, 97.38) while F7 was 2.40x (353.01, 147.19), and so F8 doing say 2.35x is within range imo (which gives ~232m).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Not to nitpick but F6 was 2.45x (238.68, 97.38) while F7 was 2.40x (353.01, 147.19), and so F8 doing say 2.35x is within range imo (which gives ~232m).

It could certainly go like that, yep.

27 minutes ago, John Marston said:

final major Box Office news of this weekend. Logan has now crossed its likely final milestone of 600m worldwide

Domestic:  $221,656,574    36.7%
Foreign:  $381,549,109    63.3%

Worldwide:  $603,205,683  

Could also pass The Passion of the Christ ($611m) to become the 3rd-biggest R-rated film ever. 

Edited by Eevin
  • Like 3

• Community Manager
56 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That was a surprise to me (that the international TV deal depend so much on the domestic market performance) I would have thought that it would have been more a market by market thing, I imagine it is for historical reason.

I was talking about domestic TV networks. I'm not entirely sure how TV rights work in each country and I'm sure market by market it's probably different.

5 hours ago, GiantCALBears said:

That's stupid man, if it opened to $10m in the US then we wouldn't say anything? It's a part of the overall discussion. Obviously the foreign total is great but again it was largely expected to be massive. 

It's not stupid.  It opened bigger than every other Fast film domestically.  You can't count F7 obviously because of everything it had going for it.  So it opened exactly where it should have.  And yes, the WW performance does trump one market.  A record opening, geeze guys.

5 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

It can sustain plenty of blockbusters on its own. You dont need to make $600 million to be sustainable lol.

When your budget and marketing is about 400 million, like it is for films like SW and Avengers and BvS, then if you made just 600 million, you would  not be profitable.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

I wonder how long the worldwide OW record will hold this time. I don't see TLJ taking the crown back for Star Wars. It looks like IW or its sequel have the best chance in the next 2 years. 

Jurassic World 2 or Avatar 2 

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's not stupid.  It opened bigger than every other Fast film domestically.  You can't count F7 obviously because of everything it had going for it.  So it opened exactly where it should have.  And yes, the WW performance does trump one market.  A record opening, geeze guys.

Adjusted it probably doesn't beat Fast 6 and will likely have worse legs. The discussion always turns to the future, OW is history now...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

When your budget and marketing is about 400 million, like it is for films like SW and Avengers and BvS, then if you made just 600 million, you would  not be profitable.

Yeah, baumer actually gets what the budgetary requirements for a high budget film are now (as opposed to a smaller film that breaks out, like the ideal Blumhouse run is).

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Right but post-theatrical release they'd probably make enough money within the US to turn a profit.