Ezen Baklattan

THE THREAD OF THE FURIOUS: Friday #s (DHD, Pg 36) F8 45.5M, BB 6.6M, BATB 5.3M, Smurfs 2.9M, GIS 2.1M

15 minutes ago, zackzack said:

Does TFA midnight number include Star Wars Marathon viewings?

Not apple to apple?

All the major franchises have marathon screenings (to some degree or another). tbh, they're a very small fraction of the overall preview gross, IMO. Not too many people can just take most of a Thursday to go watch half a dozen movies.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I think people really understimate FoF. It will hit 100+ mln. I think it's one of the least frontloaded franchises in the world. I mean 90-95% of my screening were kids! And half of them 6-8 years old!! I was like wtf?! I'm not sure I've even seen at least 5 adults there. I even thought I confused the screening with some Smurfs because I haven't seen so many kids on a movie screening in my entire life! Even Minions had much more adults on screening. Because of that I think it's gonna increase like A LOT on Saturday. Teenagers and kids are the target audience of the franchise.

F7 had multiple of 2.4x  

Confused GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

I realize the Canadian box office is a small piece of the pie but I can tell you this, the country right now is in playoff fever for hockey. Last night Toronto Maple Leafs and Calgary Flames were playing in the playoffs for the first time in years. I'm not saying that deflated the preview number significantly but I wouldn't be surprised if it has a bit better of a multiplier this weekend then expected. Even if the playoffs only affected the North American box office by 5% that's still 5% that will probably be made up for over the weekend.

Shouldn't last too long... Expecting round one exits for every Canadian team.;)

This is why I hate early numbers. Instead of the fun and suspense we used to have on where Friday will land, now threads are clogged with negative nancy predictions for the entire run.

Someone has already tried to calculate how much money Universal will lose...and east coast matines have just started. I know its a BO site first and foremost, but jesus.

• Like 6

Just now, jandrew said:

This is why I hate early numbers. Instead of the fun and suspense we used to have on where Friday will land, now threads are clogged with negative nancy predictions for the entire run.

Someone has already tried to calculate how much money Universal will lose...and east coast matines have just started. I know its a BO site first and foremost, but jesus.

Much rather have those negative nancy comments about actual box office than the threads getting derailed with all kinds of off-topic nonsense. 

• Like 6

So, to those who've seen Fast 8, did the stars' outside-the-movie fighting hurt the overall quality (and even buzz) of the movie (like it did on the Good Wife over its last seasons)?

To those who haven't, do you think they can make future successful movies if they can't get the 2 stars to share a scene together?  Will they need to replace/kill off one of them to just be done with the issue? 

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Much rather have those negative nancy comments about actual box office than the threads getting derailed with all kinds of off-topic nonsense. 

I think there's a causal relationship there

24 minutes ago, baumer said:

This will make plenty of profit for Universal.

Profit, yes. Plenty? 

F7 made profit of 350 million (according to deadline). Total Rev was 1 billion, Total cost was 655 million. 

Let's say F8 has a similar revenue and cost structure. Let's say it hits 100 ow domestic. 2.5x multiple, dom is only 25% of total (which seems low, but whatever). So it does 1 billion worldwide. Typical total revenue to box office is about 83% but for bigger films it is lower around 77%. F7 was at 66%. So lets be generous and say F8 pulls in a more normal 70% of worldwide box office as total revenue. F8 should create 700 million in revenue.

For costs, we have a 250 prod budget plus a massive p&a. F7 p&a was 172 million. I will assume F8 has at least or more. F7 had a prod budget to total cost ration of 38% so we can expect F8 to something similar. Total costs at gonna be around 657 million, but probably more towards 700 million. 

I am seeing a small profit to a push. I think they are probably having a two martini lunch in Studio City today.

15 minutes ago, jandrew said:

I agree that it's annoying, but it comes with following box office now. I wish it didn't, but it is what it is. 

32 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Shouldn't last too long... Expecting round one exits for every Canadian team.;)

Too bad most American teams are held together by Canadian players ;)

and we won the war of 1812

wait... this ISNT the Canada vs America thread?

:P 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

The Last Jedi's teaser: 3000000M OD alone. Who cares about Flop Of The Furious

Not much a fan of Rey Wars. I prefer the original trilogy