grey ghost

ANONYMOUS POLL: Do you prefer weekend threads stay on topic, off topic or a mixture of both?

Should the weekend thread stay on topic 24/7  

75 members have voted

1. 1. The weekend thread should...

• Stay on topic
    • Stay off topic
    • A mix of both

I said a mixture of both.  When we have some inkling of numbers then we should keep the conversation as close to the numbers as we can.  But at 4 in a Saturday when we're not going to have any  numbers to discuss for a few hours a little diversion is fine.

Edited by DAR
  • Like 2

I'd vote for both if y'all could behave yourselves but seriously some of you don't know when to stop and thats when things get ridiculous like the last few weeks....

Frankly this weekend's thread has been refreshing - particularly for a mobile user.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DAR said:

I said a mixture of both.  When we have some inkling of numbers then we should keep the conversation as close to the numbers as we can.  But at 4 in a Saturday when we're not going to have any  numbers to discuss for a few hours a little diversion is fine.

Hence the Convo thread - thats what it is there for

Looking away from things and being distracted within reason, can help activate the peripheral vision.

One sees without looking, what he may miss while looking.

I cannot obfuscate more than this.

I originally came to Mojo for box office numbers.  I've stayed throughout the various iterations because of the personalities through the Classic Convo and yes sometimes going off topic in a weekend thread 

• Like 3

I said mixture of both to be fair to those looking for the actual numbers especially because there is classic conversation thread. However it's hard to always stay on topic and only talk about numbers/the movies that are out. 

16 minutes ago, Nova said:

I said mixture of both to be fair to those looking for the actual numbers especially because there is classic conversation thread. However it's hard to always stay on topic and only talk about numbers/the movies that are out. 

Lest I sound like a no fun loser the personalities that DAR mentions are part of what is great about this place but the weekend threads have just gotten out of hand. Leeway is great if everyone sticks to the road map - its when people go off road (and not just into the ditch but like to so far out there isn't a road left) that it becomes a severe annoyance.

The thread would be dull and boring if only immediate numbers were discussed - I get that but we still have 30+ pages this weekend and barely half of that is actual discussion of the weekends numbers - off topic enough at one point to warrant a "not the sex thread" comment... it just hasn't gone as off the walls as the last 5 weeks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Lest I sound like a no fun loser the personalities that DAR mentions are part of what is great about this place but the weekend threads have just gotten out of hand. Leeway is great if everyone sticks to the road map - its when people go off road (and not just into the ditch but like to so far out there isn't a road left) that it becomes a severe annoyance.

The thread would be dull and boring if only immediate numbers were discussed - I get that but we still have 30+ pages this weekend and barely half of that is actual discussion of the weekends numbers - off topic enough at one point to warrant a "not the sex thread" comment... it just hasn't gone as off the walls as the last 5 weeks.

But remember where staying on the map led Michael Scott??

giphy.gif

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DAR said:

I think what happened in the  GiS weekend thread was horrible but other than that it's been a good mix of talk

Completely agreed. Insane randomness is great, offensive crap is not.

Weekend threads being completely batshit insane is probably the main reason I started posting over here in the first place. I came for Deadpool, I stayed for the mayhem.

• Like 2

People start creating weekend threads when the first inklings of numbers are out, and once that happens the MO becomes everyone sitting around twiddling their thumbs constantly refreshing Twitter and trade websites hoping to be the first to find a new estimate. Inevitably people will get bored and start posting BS.

If you want to enforce a more stringent separation between BS and box office discussion, you shouldn't let people start weekend threads until official estimates actually come in (ie BOM Friday). Discussion of early projections could go into the CC thread.

9 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

People start creating weekend threads when the first inklings of numbers are out, and once that happens the MO becomes everyone sitting around twiddling their thumbs constantly refreshing Twitter and trade websites hoping to be the first to find a new estimate. Inevitably people will get bored and start posting BS.

If you want to enforce a more stringent separation between BS and box office discussion, you shouldn't let people start weekend threads until official estimates actually come in (ie BOM Friday). Discussion of early projections could go into the CC thread.

But what people post here are not just random numbers. They also don't come from BOM alone. In fact BOM is always late.

• Like 1