grey ghost

ANONYMOUS POLL: Do you prefer weekend threads stay on topic, off topic or a mixture of both?

Should the weekend thread stay on topic 24/7  

75 members have voted

1. 1. The weekend thread should...

• Stay on topic
    • Stay off topic
    • A mix of both

There is only one thread I really care about staying on topic, and that is the weekend numbers thread each week. In my humble opinion, it's not too much to ask that the weekend thread generally stay on topic. Otherwise, it is very difficult to search for numbers, fun reactions to the numbers, and intelligent conversation/analysis regarding the numbers when the thread goes off topic.

And I don't mean that every post in the weekend thread should be directly about numbers - as long as the posts are tangentially related to the box office discussion of the films, the threads are great. It is just when it goes off the rails and people are posting pages upon pages of gifs or talking about random stuff not at all related, as it was for some weekend threads a few weeks back.

Thus, I feel a "hands off" approach in this thread would be a mistake. Any other thread I think should, within reason, be allowed to stray off topic. But the weekend numbers thread is used by many members as a place to read or get into some really great discussion and genuine analysis of numbers as they come in. I think we ought to preserve that.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3

If we had to stay on topic, we would have missed the Fassbender moments, the Cjohn saga, and pretty much every other incredible moment in these boards history. Obviously a mix of both when numbers are coming in and for a bit after but why stay on topic in the middle of twelve hours between solid numbers? "Great number for BaTB" posted 1000x is not the reason people find these boards fun. That's lame af.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

If we had to stay on topic, we would have missed the Fassbender moments, the Cjohn saga, and pretty much every other incredible moment in these boards history. Obviously a mix of both when numbers are coming in and for a bit after but why stay on topic in the middle of twelve hours between solid numbers? "Great number for BaTB" posted 1000x is not the reason people find these boards fun. That's lame af.

I think in essence I'm in agreement with this. The thread shouldn't have to always remain 100% on topic. I just personally feel that the BATB opening weekend thread, for example. was pretty terrible, and meant a lot of wading through crap. 30+ pages straight of gifs don't do it for me, at all. And I recognize I could be in a minority, in that I'm a huge box office nerd, and I really live for of the box office.

The posters on here that often engage in box office analysis are my favourite. They do research, put together new and interesting lists/comparisons/records, extrapolate weekend numbers, calculate potential internal multipliers (far better than the trades ever do), and compare the numbers that are coming in to other films, etc, and that's the shit I live for, so to speak. I don't want to lose this, and I often feel that the weekend numbers thread is the only thread I've got for this. So from my perspective, allow every other thread in these forums go off-topic all they want, but have at least some mod guidance for the weekend numbers thread. 

Edit: I should add that I am a relative newbie, I get that there is an established community here, and so I understand where others are coming from when they prefer no mod guidance and for things to be a certain way. It's not really my place to interfere.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 2

Like it the way it is. It fun. People come together and talk movies,crack jokes,and others stuff. It's a lively thread on Friday. Why make it a dull thread were nobody is having fun.

Edited by Momo
  • Like 5