lilmac

CONGRATULATIONS STAR WARS: ANH, 40 YEARS IN THE TOP 10

5 hours ago, baumer said:

Guys, just ignore Noctis.  He's never liked SW and doesn't understand why its so popular.  Don't let one person ruin this thread.  He's entitled to his opinion.  It doesn't mean anything to those of us who do like SW, so let him be confused about the success of SW.  He can have Potter, his love, his passion, his mistress.  

I like TFA. And I absolutely understand why the universe is so popular. 

Just think ANH is average beyond belief.

• Like 1

Just now, Jay Hollywood said:

You wouldn't have said that in 1977 

I probably would have liked silent movies in the 1920s.

I love Mary Poppins and it's much older than Star Wars.

No...I will not get on this train full of sheeps about how great the OT is.

2 hours ago, Noctis said:

I probably would have liked silent movies in the 1920s.

I love Mary Poppins and it's much older than Star Wars.

No...I will not get on this train full of sheeps about how great the OT is.

Im like the Greek dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding who says everything can be traced back to the greeks.  

I always say name anything in a blockbuster and Ill tell you how the OT did it first or how they were directly inspired by it haha

Then Tele will come in and say how some black in white movies from his childhood days during the Great Depression did it before Star Wars. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Im like the Greek dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding who says everything can be traced back to the greeks.  

I always say name anything in a blockbuster and Ill tell you how the OT did it first or how they were directly inspired by it haha

Then Tele will come in and say how some black in white movies from his childhood days during the Great Depression did it before Star Wars. 

Star Wars can suck my dick.

Of course, congrats to Star Wars. Great achievement.

Even more than the initial run, I have always been amazed about the 1997 re-release data. $260m adjusted 20 years later original release and when most people could already see it at home seems unreal to me. It was the 8th film of the year. Just for reference, the 8th film of 2016 was Batman v Superman...

13 minutes ago, peludo said:

Of course, congrats to Star Wars. Great achievement.

Even more than the initial run, I have always been amazed about the 1997 re-release data. $260m adjusted 20 years later original release and when most people could already see it at home seems unreal to me. It was the 8th film of the year. Just for reference, the 8th film of 2016 was Batman v Superman...

Add to that the re-releases of Empire and Jedi. They each earned less of course, but as a whole, the OT earned a lot of money in 1997.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

Not to mention that up thru the mid-80s it was common for movies to be re-released. Home video was just beginning to explode but for studios, it was easy money to ship out several hundred prints from a hugely successful movie and reap the rewards. Low-cost, big returns. Even movies with "super-wide" releases like ROTJ wouldn't have made it into every theater around, so re-releases were a way to get them into every tiny community as well as giving fans another chance to see them on the big-screen... and in those days there was an enormous difference between watching at home vs watching in theaters. 

Ahh, the good ol' days when your family had a 27" tv and everyone thought you were rich as fuck! 

• Like 2