baumer

A Look at The Biggest Box Office Stories from 1972-present (THABOS: The History of Amazing Box Office Stories) | IT'S FINALLY COMPLETE!!!!!!!

41 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Maybe I should leave you hanging....

:qotd: 

I'm about 95% sure that you like Titanic. Pretty sure you are a James Cameron Looney and I think we have talked briefly in the past about Titanic.

Slight correction there on The Liar Liar part, but it's Jennifer Tilly, not Meg. 

1997 was a pretty good year. In terms of hard R action, it was a great year too. I love Con Air, as stupid as it is. "Self-educated man!" Other favorites of the year include Good Will Hunting, L.A. Confidential, Men In Black, As Good As It Gets, The Fifth Element, Contact, Hercules etc...

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Slight correction there on The Liar Liar part, but it's Jennifer Tilly, not Meg. 

1997 was a pretty good year. In terms of hard R action, it was a great year too. I love Con Air, as stupid as it is. "Self-educated man!" Other favorites of the year include Good Will Hunting, L.A. Confidential, Men In Black, As Good As It Gets, The Fifth Element, Contact, Hercules etc...

Sorry, that's two mistakes I made....at least it shows you guys are reading it. :)

• Like 1

interesting in December 1997, Scream 2 broke the December record a week before Titanic and Tomorrow Never Dies opened

also had a couple of sleeper hits like I Know What You Did Last Summer, The Devll's Advocate and Kiss the Girls outgrossing bigger budgeted blockbusters like Speed 2, Volcano,  Alien Resurrection and Starship Troopers

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2

Conference of studio executive in 1998 (during Titanic run) reflecting on the year 1997 and trying to predict direction.

Didn't change that much since then (movie star are no guarantee anymore to open a movie and so on was already talked about and for a while, raising marketing cost, etc...), everyone was opening a specialty division to compete with Weinstein around that time.

Sony Classic: 1992

Fox searchlight: 1994

Paramount vintage: 1998

Focus Feature: 2002 (universal)

Warner Independent Pictures : 2003

They talk a lot quite a bit about Titanic and how it raised the bar to unrealistic level. They are already talking about the die of the mid range movie between the Harvey and the blockbuster and so on....

It is an interesting conference to listen to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

interesting in December 1997, Scream 2 broke the December record a week before Titanic and Tomorrow Never Dies opened

also had a couple of sleeper hits like I Know What You Did Last Summer, The Devll's Advocate and Kiss the Girls outgrossing bigger budgeted blockbusters like Speed 2, Volcano,  Alien Resurrection and Starship Troopers

And it's surprising how a film with mixed wom in today's angle(I Know What You Did Last Summer) was number one for three weeks and had alright legs.

5 hours ago, Maxmoser3 said:

And it's surprising how a film with mixed wom in today's angle(I Know What You Did Last Summer) was number one for three weeks and had alright legs.

I Know What You Did Last Summer is to Scream what Alice in Wonderland is to Avatar. It totally benefited from the Rejuvenation of the horror genre after Scream came out. Twenty years ago people were hungry for a good horror movie with recognizable faces and Kevin Williamson also wrote I Know What You Did Last Summer as well. His name was splashed all over the marketing for that film and that's why it did fairly well. It was also kind of scary in moments and had a little bit of a scream like script that was very pop culture heavy. The good looking cast and Love Hewitts body accentuating outfits also helped.

• Like 3

Yes absolutely agree with you about Ryan Phillipe. He was half naked most of the time in the film or they showed him boxing or working out. The only one who never really got to show off his body was Freddie Prinze jr. Although he was in a tank top at times.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I Know What You Did Last Summer is to Scream what Alice in Wonderland is to Avatar. It totally benefited from the Rejuvenation of the horror genre after Scream came out. Twenty years ago people were hungry for a good horror movie with recognizable faces and Kevin Williamson also wrote I Know What You Did Last Summer as well. His name was splashed all over the marketing for that film and that's why it did fairly well. It was also kind of scary in moments and had a little bit of a scream like script that was very pop culture heavy. The good looking cast and Love Hewitts body accentuating outfits also helped.

I like that movie. For some reason it always gives me this cozy feeling whenever I watch it. It has a really nice, creepy atmosphere. The chase scene with SMG is edge of your seat stuff. And Love Hewitt :wub:

• Like 1

On 8/3/2017 at 3:48 PM, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

What a great retrospective. I almost forgot about all the great movies that came out in 1997. Face/Off is one of my very favorite movies. Nowadays, we get more movies and bigger budgets by comparison, so the quality is not the same. Thank you! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1