baumer

A Look at The Biggest Box Office Stories from 1972-present (THABOS: The History of Amazing Box Office Stories) | IT'S FINALLY COMPLETE!!!!!!!

Wow! @baumer this was pretty awesome. That summer in retrospective with JP3, Mummy Returns, F&F 1, Shrek, and Pearl Harbor was a fun summer to follow. Also Rush Hour 2 and American Pie 2 making crazy bank at the end of the summer was pretty awesome too!

hey Baumer, did you know that also in 2001 that Hannibal in box office sense broke the R-rated opening weekend record? 

And then 2001 had some infamous duds back to back. But 2001’s box office was very interesting in retrospect.

• Like 1

Love it, B! 2001 had one of the most infamous bombs of the 21 century. I love this piece of shit movie. 

51KsduFGfqL.jpg

Glitter made $4.2 million on a $22 million budget. Mariah Carey signed the biggest recording contract in history for a female artist at Virgin Records in late 2000, and the soundtrack to Glitter was going to be her first project at the label. The soundtrack sold a measly 700,000 copies after an extensive promotional campaign that was derailed by Mariah's increasingly bizarre behavior. Her striptease on TRL in August of '01 went viral before viral was a thing, and she started leaving alarming voice messages to fans on her website. She was eventually hospitalized for 'exhaustion.'

Virgin Records paid her $33 million to walk away from her contract after the disastrous reception of both the Glitter film and soundtrack. It was the biggest contract buyout in music history. Mariah eventually came back in a big way with 2005's The Emancipation of Mimi, but Glitter is still seen as one of the worst films of the decade. 

Edited by Chaz
  • Thanks 1

On 03/04/2018 at 9:03 PM, Chaz said:

Love it, B! 2001 had one of the most infamous bombs of the 21 century. I love this piece of shit movie. 

51KsduFGfqL.jpg

Glitter made $4.2 million on a $22 million budget. Mariah Carey signed the biggest recording contract in history for a female artist at Virgin Records in late 2000, and the soundtrack to Glitter was going to be her first project at the label. The soundtrack sold a measly 700,000 copies after an extensive promotional campaign that was derailed by Mariah's increasingly bizarre behavior. Her striptease on TRL in August of '01 went viral before viral was a thing, and she started leaving alarming voice messages to fans on her website. She was eventually hospitalized for 'exhaustion.'

Virgin Records paid her $33 million to walk away from her contract after the disastrous reception of both the Glitter film and soundtrack. It was the biggest contract buyout in music history. Mariah eventually came back in a big way with 2005's The Emancipation of Mimi, but Glitter is still seen as one of the worst films of the decade. 

Couldn't happen to a shittier person too.  There's not many celebs I absolutely loathe.....but Carey is one of them.  She is the epitome of a spoiled and out of touch celebrity who doesn't care about anyone but herself.  And if that is not true, then tell her to change the things she says in her interviews.  She's a prime time, snotty cunt.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

2009 this year!

I want to have one year done per week.  I used to be able to get two a week, but I've gotten much busier over the last three months.  So one a week is a good goal.  I will get to 2009 soon.  :)

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

I want to have one year done per week.  I used to be able to get two a week, but I've gotten much busier over the last three months.  So one a week is a good goal.  I will get to 2009 soon.  :)

no rush! nice thread by the way

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

2009 this year!

Pfff, 2009 wasnt that special. Ok, Revenge of the Fallen was big and HP6 broke the WW OW Record, but aside from that...there was nothing special in 2009. Especially not at the end of the year.

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

Seems like I'm always apologizing for slacking off.

I'll get back to this tonight, after work.  I will try to get 2002 posted.

On 5/13/2018 at 3:06 PM, BOOYAH SUCKAS said:

Does anybody know why the Mummy Returns declined overseas despite increasing domestically? I'm assuming it had something to do with exchange rates, Tomb of the dragon emperor did 300m overseas and that movie was dog shit

Pretty much this the market around the world nosedived between 1999 and 2001 (but not like it would in 08/09)

I think I'm going to have to cut the write ups down.  I simply don't have the time to do the long ones right now.  I'll still make them detailed, but cut them a bit short.

Hello fellow readers.

I am constantly issuing apologies for my apathy towards this thread and unfortunately, I don't have any good news right now.  

I am taking the rest of the summer off from here, for the most part.  I really wanted to finish this but it became too much of an ambitious project for me.  I have a lot of personal issues that require my time and attention right now so social media and the forums are going to be lessened/eliminated for a while.  I really do feel bad that this never got completed.  I will get back to it in the fall, but for now, I need to take some time for myself.  

Again, I'm very sorry about this.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Hello fellow readers.

I am constantly issuing apologies for my apathy towards this thread and unfortunately, I don't have any good news right now.  

I am taking the rest of the summer off from here, for the most part.  I really wanted to finish this but it became too much of an ambitious project for me.  I have a lot of personal issues that require my time and attention right now so social media and the forums are going to be lessened/eliminated for a while.  I really do feel bad that this never got completed.  I will get back to it in the fall, but for now, I need to take some time for myself.  

It's cool.

Your personal life should take precedence over t.

Thanks anyway for the awesome write-ups.

When you are ready to be back, we will be here. 

On 4/4/2018 at 12:03 AM, Chaz said:

51KsduFGfqL.jpg

To be honest, although the film was awful indeed, and the soundtrack was one of her less inspired works, 911 (which took place exactly ten days before Glitter opened)  truly "stole the thunder" of everything related to entertainment that year.

Unless your name was Enya (whose fifth album A Day Without Rain actually sold incredibly well [16 million copies worldwide, her biggest album still] thanks partly to how the news media used "Only Time" in most of the 911 reports as an unofficial anthem of the tragedy and the healing post-9110), people were not having it with your silly movies, records, and TV shows. The collective spirit of the country was not in the mood for anything...

We all what the biggest story that year was, at least in terms of big-budget studio pictures, right?

An ordinary teenager found himself in extraordinary circumstances, learning about power and responsability, and taking audiences for an unforgettable spin.

2002 was also the year that gave us one of the leggiest films of all time (which also gave a shot-in-the-arm to the romcom genre, becoming in fact the highest grossing romantic comedy of all time...(still has not been dethroned), and also gave us a thrilling movie musical that captured moviegoers' attention as well as the attention of the Academy Awards.

Oh, and a rapper actually had a hit record with a rap song that went on to win the Best Original Song Oscar...

Oh, and Jodie Foster unofficially became an action heroine...

9 hours ago, StevenG said:

To be honest, although the film was awful indeed, and the soundtrack was one of her less inspired works, 911 (which took place exactly ten days before Glitter opened)  truly "stole the thunder" of everything related to entertainment that year.

Unless your name was Enya (whose fifth album A Day Without Rain actually sold incredibly well [16 million copies worldwide, her biggest album still] thanks partly to how the news media used "Only Time" in most of the 911 reports as an unofficial anthem of the tragedy and the healing post-9110), people were not having it with your silly movies, records, and TV shows. The collective spirit of the country was not in the mood for anything...

9/11 was on a Tuesday, and Jay-Z sold over 500,000 copies of his album that week.

10 hours ago, baumer said:

Hello fellow readers.

Take care, b :(