baumer

A Look at The Biggest Box Office Stories from 1972-present (THABOS: The History of Amazing Box Office Stories) | IT'S FINALLY COMPLETE!!!!!!!

The second year of the decade as a good one at the box office.  It wasn't record setting but it was the first year that Lucas and Spielberg, two long time friends, worked together and among other things, it was the year that Bill Murray, Harold Ramis and Ivan Reitman made piles of money for Columbia pictures which would be the catalyst for their next record breaking film.  Three films made over 100 million, one made more than 200 million and 13 films made more than 40 million.  Lets take a look at a few of the films from 1981.

Indiana Jones - the new hero from the creators of JAWS and STAR WARS 

Teaming up famous directors and producers in 2017 is common.  Teaming up the two men who had the number one and number two highest grossing films of all time was not only unheard of but it got people very excited.  I can remember as a 9 year old seeing the commercials on TV for this, and when that tag line was splashed across the screen, it instantly, Pavolvian like, got me to pick up the phone and call my best friend, who absolutely loved Star Wars.  The conversation went something like this.

Me:  Hey Gary...did you see that commercial for that new film from Spielberg and Lucas?

Gary:  I know!  Jaws and Star Wars?!!  This is going to be awesome.

Me:  We should go see it when it comes out.  I'll have my allowance money.

Gary:  Yea, we have to go for sure.  I'll cut the grass 100 times if I have to.  We have to go for sure.

Me:  Ok, cool.  See you at school tomorrow.

Yes, even at the age of 9, we knew that George Lucas was the SW guy and Spielberg was the Jaws guy.

Released on June 12, 1981, Raiders of the Lost Ark became the year's top-grossing film and remains one of the highest-grossing films ever made. It was nominated for eight Academy Awards in 1982, including Best Picture, and won four for Best Art Direction, Film Editing, Sound, and Visual Effects with a fifth Academy Award: a Special Achievement Award for Sound Effects Editing. The film's critical and popular success led to three additional films, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984), Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989), and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008), with a fifth slated for 2019; the television series The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (1992–1996), and 15 video games as of 2009. In 1999, the film was included in the U.S. Library of Congress' National Film Registry as having been deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

Spielberg and Lucas were vacationing together in Hawaii when Spielberg told his friend, while building a sand-castle, that he wanted to do a Bond film.  Lucas told him that he had a better idea.  He then told Steven about the idea for a new action hero called Indiana Smith.  An archaeologist who was modelled after the 1930's Saturday afternoon serials where the main character goes on adventures and gets in trouble.  

Image result for raiders of the lost ark

Initially, the film was rejected by every major studio in Hollywood, mostly due to the $20 million budget and the deal Lucas was offering.  Eventually Paramount agreed to finance the film, with Lucas negotiating a five-picture deal. By April 1980, Lawrence Kasdan's fifth draft was produced, and production was getting ready to shoot at Elstree Studios. With four illustrators, Raiders of the Lost Ark was Spielberg's most storyboarded film of his career to date, further helping the film economically. He and Lucas agreed on a tight schedule to keep costs down and to follow the "quick and dirty" feel of the old Saturday matinée serials. Special effects were done using puppets, miniature models, animation, and camera trickery. "We didn't do 30 or 40 takes; usually only four. It was like silent film--shoot only what you need, no waste", Spielberg said. "Had I had more time and money, it would have turned out a pretentious movie."

Harrison Ford stars as Indiana Jones. Spielberg suggested casting Ford as Jones, but Lucas objected, stating that he did not want Ford to become his "Bobby De Niro" or "that guy I put in all my movies" - a reference to Martin Scorsese, who often worked with Robert De Niro. Desiring a lesser known actor, Lucas persuaded Spielberg to help him search for a new talent. Among the actors who auditioned were Tim Matheson, Peter Coyote, John Shea, and Tom Selleck. Selleck was originally offered the role, but became unavailable for the part because of his commitment to the television series Magnum, P.I.. In June 1980, three weeks away from filming, Spielberg persuaded Lucas to cast Ford after producers Frank Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy were impressed by his performance as Han Solo in The Empire Strikes Back.

Raiders of the Lost Ark, imo, is the best film of 1981.  I liked Chariots of Fire, but this is the typical blue print for Hollywood when it comes to the Oscars.  The quiet film about inter-personal relationships almost always wins out over big budget spectacle.  Warren Beatty won what equates to a life time achievement award when he beat out Spielberg for best director, for his movie Reds.  This is also a joke imo.  But the academy and Hollywood in general seemed to have an axe to grind with Spielberg and especially Lucas.  Although they were making films that made their studios obscene amounts of money, Lucas' shrewd but ostensibly unfair business practises were pissing a lot of people off.  Lucas became rich off of Star Wars when no one believed in him, so that was 20th Century Fox's fault.  And when Lucas took Raiders away from 20CF and took it to Paramount, his demands were harsh.  The studio still made a pile of money, but George made sure he retained 40% of the ownership of The Indiana Jones brand.  It's this kind of acrimony that (imo) lead to a lot of Lucas and Spielberg's work being ignored on the awards circuit.  

Raiders was budgeted at close to 20 million, which was very high for 1981.  It did incredibly well in North America and did well internationally as well.  It didn't hit JAWS or SW levels internationally but 141 million dollars was still an excellent haul.  The total gross for Raiders was 390 million WW.

Finishing in second in 1981 was the terrific film about family relationships, entitled On Golden Pond.  It starred two legends and one soon to be legend.  Katherine Hepburn and Henry Fonda (in his last performance) play a retired married couple who head to their cottage for the summer.  Their estranged daughter makes the trip to see them, bringing along her finacee and his 13 year old son.  Her father at first tries to play games with the new fiancee and they butt heads from time to time.  Eventually, Chelsea and the fiancee leave, and Norman and Ethel are responsible for taking care of the 13 year old kid for a few weeks.  The age gap at first seems untenable but eventually a bond is formed between Norman and Billy.   One thing that bounds them together and kind of breaks the ice is Billy and Norman's obsession with catching Norman's fish rival, named "Walter", which leads to the accidental destruction of the Thayers' motorboat. 

On Golden Pond is one of 100 favourite films.  It's written beautifully, acted perfectly and the setting is breathtaking.  This being Henry Fonda's last role is also a little bittersweet.  He finally did win his first Oscar for best actor, at the age of 77.  Katherine Hepburn also won best actress for On Golden Pond.  

Related image

Despite their many common acquaintances and long careers in show business, Henry Fonda and Katharine Hepburn not only had never worked together, but had never met until working on the film. On the first day of shooting, Hepburn presented Henry Fonda with her longtime companion Spencer Tracy's "lucky" hat, which Fonda wore in the film. Hepburn, who was 74 at the time of filming, performed all her own stunts, including a dive into the pond. Although the water was only waist deep it was cold enough that Fonda and McKeon wore wet suits under their clothes.Hepburn, on the other hand, dove into the water without the aid of the wetsuit because she wanted the scene to keep its authenticity. 

On Golden Pond was made for a reported 5 million and grossed just under 120 million dollars.  This is just one more example of the kind of film that can't be made in today's movie climate.

Coming in at number 3 was Superman II, which took in 108 million.  I don't have any international figures for it but I assume it did fairly well internationally, as the first was a big hit overseas.  Superman II set the opening weekend record with 14 million dollars.  

Production on Superman II officially recommenced with Richard Lester as director on June 1, 1979. Originally, the Salkinds considered Guy Hamilton for director, but he declined.  Once they got Mark Lester to direct, a revised screenplay written by David and Leslie Newman. The new script featured several newly conceived scenes including the Eiffel Tower opening sequence and Clark rescuing Lois at Niagara Falls. However, under strict guidelines from Directors Guild of America, Lester needed to re-shoot several scenes Donner had already completed in order to receive full directorial credit. Location shooting took place in Canada, Paris, Norway and St Lucia, while Metropolis (which was shot in New York for the first movie) was filmed entirely on the back lot at Pinewood. Superman II finally finished filming on March 10, 1980.

Scenes filmed by Richard Donner were included in the finished film. These scenes include all the Gene Hackman footage, the Moon sequences, the White House shots, Clark and the bully, and much of the footage of Zod, Ursa and Non arriving at the Daily Planet. Since the Lester footage was shot two years later, both Margot Kidder and Christopher Reeve look different between the Lester and Donner footage. Reeve appears less bulked up in Donner's sequences (filmed in 1977), as he was still gaining muscle for the part. Kidder also has dramatic changes throughout; in the montage of Lester-Donner material, shot inside the Daily Planet and the Fortress of Solitude near the movie's conclusion, her hairstyle, hair color, and even make-up are all inconsistent. Indeed, Kidder's physical appearance in the Lester footage is noticeably different; during the scenes shot for Donner she appears slender, whereas in the Lester footage she looks frail and gaunt.

Image result for superman II

Even after all of the production problems this faced, the film still did well.  The budget came in at 54 million which means WB committed over 100 million dollars to two films before they had completed one shot on the second.  100 million in that time period is like committing about 350-400 million to a film today.

Coming in at number 5 was the army comedy Stripes.  This starred Bill Murray, Harold Ramis and John Candy and was directed by Ivan Reitman.  It made 85 million dollars and this set up a tandem of Murray, Ramis and Reitman.  In fact, Murray and Ramis were best friends for years, until Groundhog Day put a rift in the relationship.  

Stripes was originally conceived as a Cheech and Chong go to the army.  Paramount Pictures loved the idea and they even pitched it to the Cheech and Chong duo.  However, they wanted total creative control and Reitman balked at this.  He then thought of rewriting the characters to be more suitable for Murray and this is also when he thought of making Ramis an offer to play the second lead role.  Ramis was more known for screenwriting (he wrote Meatballs, Animal House and Caddyshack).  But Reitman knew him well and thought he'd be good for the Ziskey role.  His best-known acting work prior to Stripes was as a cast member for the late-night TV sketch comedy Second City Television, which he had quit a few years earlier. Columbia Pictures did not like Ramis's audition but Reitman told the studio that he was hiring the comedian anyway. P. J. Soles reported that Dennis Quaid had read for the role of Russell and that Ramis was reluctant to appear in the film, but that Murray told Ramis he did not wish to work with anyone else and would leave the film unless he played the other principal.  Columbia had no choice but to acquiesce.  

Image result for stripes movie

In 1993 Murray reflected, "I'm still a little queasy that I actually made a movie where I carry a machine gun. But I felt if you were rescuing your friends it was okay. It wasn't Reds or anything, but it captured what it was like on an Army base: It was cold, you had to wear the same green clothes, you had to do a lot of physical stuff, you got treated pretty badly, and had bad coffee".

Stripes was a huge hit for Columbia and they would reap the benefits of the trio's chemistry three years down the road.

Best Picture winner Chariot's of Fire would come in at number 7 with 60 million and like clock work, a Bond film gets released, and a Bond film finishes top ten for the year.  For Your Eyes Only came in at number 8 with 54 million.

Some notable films from 1981 include:

Clash of the Titans (the original) came in at number 11 with 41 million.  

Endless Love, a romance that starred Brooke Shields and featured a very young Tom Cruise in a small role, came in at number 22 with 31 million and that adjusts to right around 100 million today.

The iconic John Landis werewolf movie An American Werewolf in London, came in one spot below with 30 million.  This film has been lauded for its incredible werewolf transformation scene, done expertly by legendary make up and effects man Rick Baker.  If you have never heard of Baker, look him up.  The man is simply awesome.

Two sequels to huge horror films came out in 1981, both fell considerably from the originals.  Halloween II took in 25 million and Friday the 13th part II was rushed into production and took in 21 million.  However, both productions were made for chicken feed and because their budgets were so low (F13th at 1.2 million, Halloween at 2.5....mostly because Pleasance got a big payday this time around) these franchises would continue to make oodles of money for both Paramount and Universal.

Image result for halloween ii 1981

Related image

The last film I will mention here, really didn't make a dent at the box office.  In fact, it didn't do well at all.  But My Bloody Valentine is one of my favourite horror films and it's also made with an expert touch.  I got @Tele Came Back to watch it and he actually enjoyed it much more than he thought he would.  

It also doesn’t get anymore Canadian than this. Made in Canada, starring mostly unknown Canadian actors and produced with Canadian money, this is one film that could have been lost had it not been for Lionsgate buying the rights to it. It’s now widely considered the best Canadian horror film of all time. Lionsgate was responsible for adding in nine minutes of footage cut by the MPAA, due to its extreme gruesome nature. Without this footage, it’s a good film but with the added footage, you get a more brutal villain and more ingenuity in the killings. This takes place in a mining town in Nova Scotia and the town is finally, after 20 years, celebrating Valentine’s Day again. There was a fatal accident that killed several miners and one apparently survived. His name is Harry Warden, and he has come back to take revenge on anyone who dare celebrate this day. Directed with a keen eye for detail, what seemed like a cheap ersatz of better films from the same era, it has stood the test of time and become a classic. For sheer brilliance, check out the scene in the laundromat.  

Although it only made 5 million in 1981, it has developed a cult following and if you can find the BR or DVD, and if you like horror, this is definitely one to check out.  Here's a shameless plug for an article I wrote about top ten Canadian horror films.  Check it out, if you have the chance.

http://www.top10films.co.uk/archives/24854

Image result for my bloody valentine 1981

This was 1981

• Like 12

Lemme just pimp CHARIOTS OF FIRE for a moment. This was basically the movie that set the blueprint for all these famous Weinstein Oscar runs in later years. It was a tiny picture (by Hollywood standards), shot in England with no-name actors about a topic that wasn't very sexy (post-WWI, the place of faith and religion in society and how a person can choose to honor these commitments), and it became one of those hits that slowly built momentum and not only had a big box-office run, it ended up snagging the Oscar from a huge Hollywood juggernaut that had the biggest names in the biz behind it. Oh, and of course COF has one of the most iconic and memorable movie scores ever. 

I understand people who wish RAIDERS would've run but CHARIOTS OF FIRE is one of my faves of all time and legendary in its own right. If for some reason you haven't seen it, check it out. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

Lemme just pimp CHARIOTS OF FIRE for a moment. This was basically the movie that set the blueprint for all these famous Weinstein Oscar runs in later years. It was a tiny picture (by Hollywood standards), shot in England with no-name actors about a topic that wasn't very sexy (post-WWI, the place of faith and religion in society and how a person can choose to honor these commitments), and it became one of those hits that slowly built momentum and not only had a big box-office run, it ended up snagging the Oscar from a huge Hollywood juggernaut that had the biggest names in the biz behind it. Oh, and of course COF has one of the most iconic and memorable movie scores ever. 

I understand people who wish RAIDERS would've run but CHARIOTS OF FIRE is one of my faves of all time and legendary in its own right. If for some reason you haven't seen it, check it out. 

This is my thread bub...and in my thread, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK IS BETTER THAN CHARIOTS OF FIRE.  :P

But yes, I know how much you love Chariots of Fire.  Perhaps I should have written more about it.  But there's only so many films I can cover in each year.  

And that's where you come in.  I welcome you or anyone else to comment on a film I didn't say enough about or just didn't mention. :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

The iconic Vangelis score which probably has been overused in many sporting events especially the Olympics but I think it's a great piece of music.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

And as many of you know, I have a complete (some would say irrational) love for 70's and 80's horror so I will probably cover a bit more of horror than I should.  Sorry.

• Like 2

1981 also saw the release of one of the most famous movies of the decade. It also didn't make a lot of money (came in at 38 for the year) but has since been seen by a huge audience due to its camp value. It has dialogue that is still quoted.

Mommie Dearest.

It killed Faye Dunaway's career and forever tarnished the image of one of Hollywood's all time greatest leading ladies, Joan Crawford. It continues to be a popular film today.

Edited by Chaz
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chaz said:

1981 also saw the release of one of the most famous movies of the decade. It also didn't make a lot of money (came in at 38 for the year) but has since been seen by a huge audience due to its camp value. It has dialogue that is still quoted.

Mommie Dearest.

It killed Faye Dunaway's career and forever tarnished the image of one of Hollywood's all time greatest leading ladies, Joan Crawford. It continues to be a popular film today.

So funny u mention Faye Dunaway. She was actually in Bye Bye Man. I just watched it last night.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

This it really is a fantastic film. One of the few that looking at the now could still make that gross with the right kind of release - unlike say On Golden Pond.

• Like 2

I really like this in depth recap that Baumer is doing for the big box office winners from each year. 

Baumer is actually the one that taught me that the Star Wars sequels and prequels were filmed and financed by Lucas himself through Lucasfilm. When I first joined the boxoffice.com board, I used to think it was 20th Century Fox that financed all of the Star Wars movies. However, Baumer taught me that the sequels and prequels were actually financed by Lucas himself.

Ever since then, I paid more attention to what films each studio financed themselves, and which films smaller studios financed and just used the larger studio as a distributor. That led me to discover Carolco Pictures, which financed their own films (some of which will be appearing real soon) and Rimfire Films LTD, which will be making an appearance in the year 1988 with the highest grossing foreign film of all-time (adjusted for inflation).

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, baumer said:

Why did it kill her career? @Chaz

Mommie Dearest was supposed to be Paramount's big prestige picture that year. Everyone involved thought that they were making a great film. The sets were massive and expensive, Dunaway had done a lot of work to get Crawford down and the studio had a lot of faith in the production. The end result was one of the worst movies ever made. 

Dunaway, to this day, refuses to discuss anything about Mommie Dearest, despite it being her most famous performance. She looked incredibly similar to Crawford and she had a lot of her mannerisms down, but the performance is an over-the-top monstrosity. The movie became famous because of how bad it was (think Glitter, but even bigger) and Dunaway's performance was continually maligned. She was no longer seen as a credible actress, she was the crazed Joan Crawford impersonator. 

Thanks for the compliments, B. You and I share a love of this time period. Keep 'em coming. :)

• Like 4