efialtes76

Monday Numbers:Fast 8 $8.5M...

3 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

That being said, I see F8 making less than Logan domestic, because not only it's gonna be frontloaded, but it'll also be cut by GOTG 2 very soon. 

F8 domestically will face GOTG2 in three full weeks (two more weekends included). The real problem F8 may face comes in the international markets ... cause next wednesday GOTG2 starts running in half of the intl. markets (bigs ones included), and a week after comes the other half of the intl. markets and then, on friday, domestically.

That early intl. opening may cut F8 legs sensibly. 

• Like 4

The last one grossed 1.5 billion.  This will more than likely do about 1.2 billion.  To maintain 80% of it's audience on a global scale is quite amazing.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

It seems likelier and likelier with each new info that BaTB will end up with a hugher groos than F8.As it should.

I don't think that is entirely true.  I don't see any reason for F8 to miss a billion internationally.  Is BatB going to make that much?  Possibly.  But nothing guaranteed.

30 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

It seems likelier and likelier with each new info that BaTB will end up with a hugher groos than F8.As it should.

Agree. I don't see F8 past 1.160b (235 dom + 925 os) and can't see BATB below that.

BATB had 15.6 OS weekend and 13.7 dom weekend for 1.045b.

So current markets including dom will take it to 1.045 + 25 dom + 30 OS-Japan = 1.1b.

Japan will take it past 1.160b.

Edited by a2knet

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yeah, this is going to have some shit legs. I don't see how it drops under 60% this weekend.

LOL, no kidding. Also there's really no excuse for it to have a bad fall next weekend, there's literally fuckin' nothing opening. I mean it's the only big new blockbuster in the market, why it would fall even 50% in its second weekend is perplexing to me. I guess these types of movies just have no crossover appeal, the primary audience shows up immediately and then bam, it's done. 

A downright pathetic Monday, you wouldn't even know anyone was off. I envy these kids today though, I guess maybe it's a public school thing? I didn't go to public school until university, I never got a day off after Easter. Even my private Catholic high school didn't give off a day after Easter. It was expected you celebrate on your own damn time Sunday, then back to school Monday. In retrospect, I guess I got screwed out of a holiday! lol.

Hate to break it to u JonathanLB but if Star Wars didnt open during the Christmas holidays it to would fall  North of 50% in its second weekend. That's just the way things work. The Christmas holidays are a perfect time to open a film because you have two full weekends of soft drops. But any film that opens at any other time of the year and has a large fan base and does a good amount of preview numbers on Thursday night, is going to drop anywhere from 50% up to 60% in its second weekend. So it's not a pathetic drop it's just the way things work.

Look at Rogue One for example.

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, baumer said:

Hate to break it to u JonathanLB but if Star Wars didnt open during the Christmas holidays it to would fall  North of 50% in its second weekend. That's just the way things work. The Christmas holidays are a perfect time to open a film because you have two full weekends of soft drops. But any film that opens at any other time of the year and has a large fan base and does a good amount of preview numbers on Thursday night, is going to drop anywhere from 50% up to 60% in its second weekend. So it's not a pathetic drop it's just the way things work.

But he is talking about more than 60% which not very bad but not normal either.

1 minute ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

But he is talking about more than 60% which not very bad but not normal either.

Eh. It's not that abnormal anymore IMO. Especially for big, fan driven franchises like F&F.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, baumer said:

And F8 just had a record opening internationally.  

It did, mostly buoyed by China. I can't see it hitting a billion internationally. Many of its massive grosses (including China) are from notoriously front-loaded markets. 

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

It did, mostly buoyed by China. I can't see it hitting a billion internationally. Many of its massive grosses (including China) are from notoriously front-loaded markets. 

Yep china is looking more and more likely to  be less then f7. Few more markets have to increase to fill that gap. And I think opposite is more likely.

1 hour ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Yes, but baumer was comparing it to star wars which I think will drop less than 60 in which ever month it is released.

I'm not so sure. Revenge of the Sith dropped around 50% with a May release, and movie legs in general have gotten lower and lower since then. 

3 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I'm not so sure. Revenge of the Sith dropped around 50% with a May release, and movie legs in general have gotten lower and lower since then. 

Well, I think we are getting into opinions zone. I think this is a huge success but decreasing returns in almost all markets will make universal to decrease the budget of next two. Under 450 for both combined would be great but IMO not possible.

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Fast 8 has no really redeeming aspects to really keep interest like the Paul walker ending in fast 7. 

The one remaining hook is a Rock/Statham buddy cop movie. 

Only thing stopping it is Vin Diesel. :angry:

17 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Plus Sith's second weekend was Memorial Day weekend, meaning the second Sunday night would act more like a Saturday night on a regular weekend. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baumer said:

This. if BatB had the luxury of soft holidya drops it would have smashed 500M. As it is, it'll fall short of it because of the time of the year. Not that March isn't lucrative for openers but different rules apply for holds/legs. 

Edited by Valonqar