kayumanggi

HAPPY DEATH DAY | 10.13.17 | Universal

Going by Letterboxd, reactions make it definitely sound like a crowd pleaser. One particular moment people cheered for that will most assuredly get on the good side of touchy audiences (especially the feminist crowd).

Yeah, wom might actually be very favorable for this. We could have a breakout in hands. Although I don't see more than 80M right now (I still think it's gonna be frontloaded, especially post-Halloween).

The last time Friday the 13th occurred in October, The Grudge 2 made almost half of its opening weekend on its first day (back when frontloaded wasn't anywhere near what it is today and when Thursday previews weren't a thing). Not hard to see this doing about 55-60% of its opening weekend just from its first day alone.

7 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I’m jk. But have you seen it’s release date? I wouldn’t be surprised if it makes half of the OW on the OD alone.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The last time Friday the 13th occurred in October, The Grudge 2 made almost half of its opening weekend on its first day (back when frontloaded wasn't anywhere near what it is today and when Thursday previews weren't a thing). Not hard to see this doing about 55-60% of its opening weekend just from its first day alone.

Ok. I can see that now. It will be an interesting run to watch.

28 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Actually, when it comes to Horror movies, they used to be more front-loaded in the past than they’re now. 

Get Out, Split, The Conjuring 1, Annabelle: Creation, Lights Out, Don’t Breathe, Insidious 1, are among the best multiples for Horror movies, and they were all released in the last few years. 

Also, The Grudge 2 was part of a franchise, so while HDD will have an inflated OD, it won’t be as front-loaded as this one on it’s total.

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael

4 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Actually, when it comes to Horror movies, they used to be more front-loaded in the past than they’re now. 

Get Out, Split, The Conjuring 1, Annabelle: Creation, Lights Out, Don’t Breathe, Insidious 1, are among the best multiples for Horror movies, and they were all released in the last few years. 

i think its because those movies are actually good. horror movies years ago used to be terrible (those asian remakes + the religious ones like the devil inside etc)

10 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

The Groundhog Day time loop premise is so silly. It'll flop if they take this too seriously.

Going by Letterboxd, they did not. It's more of a comedy than anything.

This reminds me: Groundhog Day should be a subgenre in of itself. So far, it has worked almost everywhere it has crossed over with in the last few years (besides with the original film) - Edge Of Tomorrow as a sci-fi action; it's looking to work in HDD, which is a slasher from what I can; and even Before I Fall, a young adult romance, could've gotten panned.... and it didn't, it got better than expected wom.

20 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Going by Letterboxd, they did not. It's more of a comedy than anything.

This reminds me: Groundhog Day should be a subgenre in of itself. So far, it has worked almost everywhere it has crossed over with in the last few years (besides with the original film) - Edge Of Tomorrow as a sci-fi action; it's looking to work in HDD, which is a slasher from what I can; and even Before I Fall, a young adult romance, could've gotten panned.... and it didn't, it got better than expected wom.

It also worked very well in one episode of Supernatural - just a very good concept.