Eevin

A Really Boring Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: F8 38.7M | Boss Baby 12.8M | Beauty and the Beast 10M | everything else bombing terribly

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I think the word action should be included.

The term "action comedy" fits well enough.

Well sure they are action or adventure comedy it was in the context that a romantic-comedy was called simply comedy (so I was thnking that we were talking about comedy at large even those combining other genre), there is rarely a pure genre big movie these days, always a mix. Fury Road was a rare pure action movie.

Still in the comedy side of Drama/Comedy, Force Awaken was in the comedy side, Rogue One drama, in my opinion, but like I said it is extremely subjective.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

How the frig is Force Awakens "comedy". HAHAHAHAHA space facism ruined the universe and Han Solo's son murdered him, that's like saying Game of Thrones is kinda like Full House

You put Force Awakens in the comedy category or drama at the golden globes ?

It was really funny specially the first half. Dr. Strangelove is a comedy almost every humans die in it in a nuclear tragedy, comedy is not much about content/story, it is about enough people laughing enough while watching it.

Edited by Barnack

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

You put Force Awakens in the comedy category or drama at the golden globes ?

It was really funny specially the first half. Dr. Strangelove is a comedy almost every humans die in it in a nuclear tragedy, comedy is not much about content/story, it is about enough people laughing enough while watching it.

Drama. Force Awakens had the least comedy of any Star Wars save Empire or Rogue One.

I hate to have to jump into this debate, but the original Star Wars is YA. Not YA like we think of today with Harry Potter, hunger games, and Twilight, but classical YA, like Treasure Island or Robinson Crusoe.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Well sure they are action or adventure comedy, there is rarely a pure genre big movie these days, always a mix.

Still in the comedy side of Drama/Comedy, Force Awaken was in the comedy side, Rogue One drama, in my opinion, but like I said it is extremely subjective.

You had a point with GotG but I can't agree on TFA

TFA being put in the comedy category doesn't seem right.

• Like 1

Just now, 4815162342 said:

I hate to have to jump into this debate, but the original Star Wars is YA. Not YA like we think of today with Harry Potter, hunger games, and Twilight, but classical YA, like Treasure Island or Robinson Crusoe.

Neither of those books were categorized as "YA" when released. YA is a modern construct designed to sell stuff like Harry Potter.

Somehow I feel like the studios kind of missed it with this period. Like there are movies clumped together in the summer it appears to me, but this weekend and next weekend are just a break between Fast and Furious and Guardians. Pretty much anything decent could have beaten F8 this weekend. The only interest this weekend holds to me is how badly F8 can fall. I'm not usually rooting against any movie, and I enjoy the franchise quite a bit, but it's just too boring if the movie falls 62% or something expected like that. I was kind of hoping something epic like 70% if nothing else than that it's entertaining to watch and unusual. It's the same it's fun to root for a movie like Get Out to have its amazing declines because it's so unusual. I just like to see something different, less predictable, and a 62% decline is extremely predictable. I wouldn't say 64% is that much better from an entertainment perspective.

Personally, I'm kind of interested to see if it would be possible for F8 to do worse than the 1.99 multiple BVS had, but I don't think anything can really top that. It's a good thing for Box Office Mojo because if I ever kind of randomly plug in some awful numbers to see if a movie could finish with less than a 2x multiple, I can NEVER make it work, no matter what. I actually have to go back to the BVS page just to see that it's somehow possible. I guess it's one of those "truth is stranger than fiction" things because mathematically it seems like it shouldn't be possible, but somehow, BVS did it! I guess Superman really IS superhuman. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Young adult is a book genre.

Young adult films are adaptations of those books.

And Star Wars is as four quadrant as it gets.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

You had a point with GotG but I can't agree on TFA

TFA being put in the comedy category doesn't seem right.

Fair enough (like I said ultra subjective, that why they make people vote on those and it often end up close to 50/50), I don't remember Force awaken second half very well, maybe it is just the first half that play for audience laugh.

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Young Adult is about Young Adults, hence, Star Wars.

Simple really.

No, YA is a marketing concept for books and a relatively recent construct.

Also, even the original trilogy has characters that are older than the Treasure Island protagonist.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Young Adult is about Young Adults, hence, Star Wars.

Simple really.

Except that Star Wars isn't mainly or just for young adults. Most of our fan base at this point in time are middle aged guys, and the fan base spans from young kids to people in their 60s who were 20 something when the first film came out. The Star Wars movies have universal appeal. It IS simple, really. YA movies don't, which is why they can't expand their gross from opening weekend to the next weeks. They bomb after one weekend.

• Like 2