Eevin

A Really Boring Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: F8 38.7M | Boss Baby 12.8M | Beauty and the Beast 10M | everything else bombing terribly

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Don't see how F8 gets to 38-39M with 11M Friday. Would need an 18M Saturday to do that.

Yeah, not seeing it either.

F7 had a 3.16 2nd w/e multiplier.    Even F6 in the summer had a 3.2 2nd w/e multi with a softened Sunday drop.

6 minutes ago, DAR said:

Even back when Walt was making them, but Disney's always done a reliably solid job with their nature documentaries.  

I know Disney usually releases them around Earth Day but it'd be interesting to see how the Disneynature films would do in January or September. 

Vin must be thrilled :lol:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/universal-fast-and-furious-dwayne-johnson-jason-statham-and-charlize-theron-1202392305/

Sources tell Variety that the studio is considering a spin-off featuring Dwayne Johnson’s Luke Hobbs, Jason Statham’s Decker Shaw, and Charlize Theron’s Cipher with series architect Chris Morgan penning the script.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Katherine Heigl continues to not catch a break. I'm positive even Lifetime wouldn't hire her at this point.

She made a rod for her own back by being difficult to work with, even her TV 'comeback' have failed. 

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

She made a rod for her own back by being difficult to work with, even her TV 'comeback' have failed. 

I think it was the terrible film choices she made after 27 Dresses and The Ugly Truth (which wasn't a good movie, but made a nice amount of money) that did her in on top of her off-putting personality. The fact her first studio movie in years is a blatant rip-off of a trashy Beyoncé thriller that isn't even a decade old says it all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

How is she difficult to work with? never heard that one about her.

I think it's the movie choices. the rom-com, her forte, died and she didn't chose her next projects wisely

12 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The Disneynature documentaries never seem to do huge business, I guess they aren't hugely expensive to make and must make enough for them to do another film next year.

It would not surprise if it is completely different for Disney and their very huge documentary (that still do a lot for docs at the box office), but it is a genre that theater give very little back to the distributor anyway (except if you make a documentary on Micheal Jackson or if you were a prime Micheal Moore). I imagine that the audience tend to be small and not eat much pop-corn during them, making them uninteresting for theater chain.

Sony on a movie like Inside Job for example

Domestic Rental: 1.452 million (33.6% of is 4.32 million bo)

Intl rental: 1.344 million (37.8% of is 3.55 million ibo)

The money come from Netflix and other platform like that, it did 21.55 million in total revenue with a large 10 million profit, with 87% of the revenue made after theater.

The Disney more spectacle oriented doc are probably more theatrical affair thought and maybe they play more like regular movies, but they seem to be doing quite well for those kind of release.

• Like 1

I'll never forget the thick irony of Heigl lambasting Judd Apatow over the sexism in Knocked Up - a movie that, yes, leaned rather heavily on the stereotype of women as the responsibility figures who have to take care of man-children - only to then go on to star in and executive produce The Ugly Truth, which reveled in gender stereotypes about a thousand times worse than anything in an Apatow flick.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, Alli said:

She got a lot of backlash for things (like withdrawing her name from the Emmys, citing not being happy with the writing of her character on Grey's Anatomy) nobody would bat an eyelash if a man did the same things. So industry-based sexism, in a way.

The Knocked Up comments not long after the movie came out were a poor choice, though. Trashing the critically-acclaimed box office smash that made you famous is a bad look for anybody.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

I think it's the movie choices. the rom-com, her forte, died and she didn't chose her next projects wisely

The behind the scenes difficult to work with tag has been around for quite awhile starting on Grey's Anatomy - maybe even earlier on Rosewell.  Couple that with bad film choices which bombed and some diva behavior (asking for $3m for mega ensemble movie Valentine's Day for a few days work) and the old adage of be nice to people on the way up because you might meet them again on the way down comes into play.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Alli said:

http://www.nickiswift.com/13138/hollywood-wont-cast-katherine-heigl-anymore/

Although if this was a guy, they'll get millions of chances. I mean woody Allen still works and he's child molester. There are way worst people in HW(mostly men) but still  get to work

Edited by Dragon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

She got a lot of backlash for things (like withdrawing her name from the Emmys, citing not being happy with the writing of her character on Grey's Anatomy) nobody would bat an eyelash if a man did the same things. So industry-based sexism, in a way.

The Knocked Up comments not long after the movie came out were a poor choice, though. Trashing the critically-acclaimed box office smash that made you famous is a bad look for anybody.

yes, maybe they were a poor choice, but others have trashed their movies and people applaud them. Robert Pattinson comes to mind.  you could argue twilight was not critically acclaimed, but still the fans of the movie consider it perfect and he trashed their taste. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dragon said:

http://www.nickiswift.com/13138/hollywood-wont-cast-katherine-heigl-anymore/

Although if this was a guy, they'll get millions of chances. I mean woody Allen still works and he's child molester. There are way worst people in HW(mostly men) but still  get to work

I dunno, she feels like the female Val Kilmer.

• Like 1