Eevin

A Really Boring Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: F8 38.7M | Boss Baby 12.8M | Beauty and the Beast 10M | everything else bombing terribly

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

come now. Civil War to WS is not a fair comparison due to Civil War adding RDJ and other characters

This, it jump a lot from WS, but it was a bit down from Ultron (191.2 to 179.13).

Spider man 2 to 3 had a crazy jump, 88m to 151m, I wonder if the era changed that much between 04 and 07 or just a sign on how much the first 2 were loved.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

This, it jump a lot from WS, but it was a bit down from Ultron (191.2 to 179.13).

Spider man 2 to 3 had a crazy jump, 88m to 151m, I wonder if the era changed that much between 04 and 07 or just a sign on how much the first 2 were loved.

Spider-Man 2 was a 5-day OW at the end of June. SM3 went back to the same 3-day OW at the beginning of May that SM1 had. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tele Came Back said:

Spider-Man 2 was a 5-day OW at the end of June. SM3 went back to the same 3-day OW at the beginning of May that SM1 had. 

Ok it did look like a strange progression, when in reality it is probably a more linear one (SM2 already had 64 million made before it's first weekend).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Ok it did look like a strange progression, when in reality it is probably a more linear one (SM2 already had 64 million made before it's first weekend).

There were several films from that period of '99 to '04 that probably would have set the OW record if they'd had normal, Friday openings. TPM, RotK, Shrek 2, SM2. But they had weird mid-week openings which undermined that potential.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

And people who ruined their careers all on their own (ala Katherine Heigl).

but that discussion was kind of interesting... granted that I don't really know who she is.....

8 hours ago, THE PHENOMENAL BKB said:

I'm fairly certain that if Tele or Water Bottle felt the need to ban someone, they wouldn't seek approval to do so and do it anyway.. ;)

The voice of experience. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

There were several films from that period of '99 to '04 that probably would have set the OW record if they'd had normal, Friday openings. TPM, RotK, Shrek 2, SM2. But they had weird mid-week openings which undermined that potential.

Don't forget Matrix Reloaded and ROTS

The Promise cost $90 million to $100 million to make before marketing costs and a distribution fee paid to Open Road Films in North America. Kerkorian, who died in 2015 and was of Armenian descent, fully financed the movie via Survival Pictures, which was created to make the movie and to educate the public about genocide in the 20th and 21st centuries.

The film's producers say the movie is a victory, its box office notwithstanding, since the intent was never to make a profit. Instead, The Promise was intended to shine a light on the massacre of 1.5 million Armenians in the waning days of the Ottoman Empire. And any proceeds from the film will be donated to charity, including to the new The Promise Institute for Human Rights at UCLA School of Law, which was unveiled last week with a $20 million gift.

I don't agree with Jeff Bock here though, no one was going to finance an Armenian Genocide movie and the distribution would have been with a lot of strings attached. Sometimes a billionaire uses his money for a pet cause, that's all there is to it

Box-office analyst Jeff Bock is of a different opinion.

"I honestly don't know who spends $90 million on a historical drama these days without a major distributor in place. This is just failed filmmaking from start to finish," Bock says. "There's always a way to tell a story without breaking the bank to do so."

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, commonsense88 said:

Has WB stop tracking LB or they going to not release numbers until it magically crosses 175 mil?

They're still tracking though they're at the point where they release w/e numbers on Monday.  They haven't even expanded it yet into the Discount theaters, this w/e was only it's 11th.   It'll be over $174m this w/e; there's no need for them to play around to get to $175.

They had the LEGO movie out for 30 weeks and didn't expand until the first time until the 14th.

• Like 1

The Promise story makes me wonder. Ive probably asked this before, but can one person manipulate box office? If Bill Gates loves Geostorm so much, can he buy $1 billion worth of tickets?

I know it wont be seen as legitamite, even though he legimately bought the tickets, but is this possible? 

@Rth and the Beast or others.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 1