Eevin

A Really Boring Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: F8 38.7M | Boss Baby 12.8M | Beauty and the Beast 10M | everything else bombing terribly

16 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Was very difficult to work with, pissed off most directors and cast members he worked with. Once his movies started bombing, no one wanted to work with him anymore and his career went DTV.

17 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

“Even if I was directing a film called The Life of Val Kilmer, I wouldn’t have that prick in it.”  - Frankenheimer on the set of The Island of Dr Moreau

And that's a lot nicer than what Joel Shumacher said about him after working with him on Batman Forver. :lol:

Michael Douglas pulled Val aside one day and said "Do you want a career like Eric Roberts or Mickey Rourke? Well that is where you are going if you don't shape up". Lol

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Alli said:

yes, maybe they were a poor choice, but others have trashed their movies and people applaud them. Robert Pattinson comes to mind.  you could argue twilight was not critically acclaimed, but still the fans of the movie consider it perfect and he trashed their taste. 

Twilight was not made by someone has powerful and respected like Apatow (and like you said talking again Twilight could maybe hurt you among some fans, but not really director/producer industry people in general I would imagine, an easy target) and probably more importantly Pattinson is not making any studio movies.

And he made only one movie by a MPAA studio since Potter, with Fox in 2011, I imagine that is comments were after that. When you are 100% fortune independent like him and do not want to do studio movies (or did lost hope to ever get cast in them) you are more free to talk as you want.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

This talk reminds me of Steven Seagal too. From what I've read, even beyond his sheer laziness he's about as toxic and unpleasant as people who once starred in box-office hits (even if he only lasted a few years) get. 

It is not hard to believe, when you have headline like this now (and being friend with Vladimir Poutine):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2011/08/31/actor-steven-seagal-sued-for-driving-tank-into-arizona-home-killing-puppy/#6dc5a4fb7489

Imagine when he was a star.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It is not hard to believe, when you have headline like this now (and being friend with Vladimir Poutine):

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2011/08/31/actor-steven-seagal-sued-for-driving-tank-into-arizona-home-killing-puppy/#6dc5a4fb7489

Imagine when he was a star.

It's telling that no one even comes within 100 miles of him these days other than I guess some Eastern European producers who are putting out the most worthless DTV action schlock. No one's even casting him in cameos for nostalgia reasons, because there's zero nostalgia. 

I heard a story that back in the day he was invited to host SNL and offered an idea for a sketch where some female cast member would be telling him about how she'd been raped and he (as her psychiatrist) would repeatedly try to sleep with her. That's it. That's the entire joke. And it was the only thing he came up with when they asked him. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Rourke ended up getting Sin City and The Wrestler while Roberts got (tiny, but still) parts in Nolan and PTA movies so there might be hope for Kilmer yet. 

Val Kilmer was in Song to Song I think.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Rourke ended up getting Sin City and The Wrestler while Roberts got (tiny, but still) parts in Nolan and PTA movies so there might be hope for Kilmer yet. 

Then Rourke imploded again.  Roberts works all the time now and there's some gold among the dross but he murdered his career as a lead.  

Kilmer had Kiss Kiss Bang Bang but that was an indie and it didn't much build from there even though he was fantastic in it.   In contrast co-star RDJ who one would think had burned bridges was always very well liked so that even when he was in prison he had work offers (he was even let out on furlough to do a couple).   His issue became being insured.

Some actors can turn their rep around.  Stallone had a horrible rep, especially in the 80s and 90s - so much so there are still people who hated him enough to not vote for him for Creed.  But after his career hit the skids he owned up to how horrible he was and is reportedly much better now.

• Like 5

Kilmer is in a Terrence Malick movie and some movie with Fassbender and Rebecca Ferguson this year. Probably bit parts though. I would like to see him come back. Maybe he will be cast in a Marvel movie or something eventually

He definitely has some bad health problems though. He denies he has cancer ( Which Michael Douglas claimed last year) but he has something 

Edited by John Marston

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I'm a late-period Malick fan so I approve. Wish Shane Black or someone gave him another call though.

Yes, he might want to work on a film where he doesn't shoot hours of footage for only 3 minutes of screen time.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Then Rourke imploded again. 

Makes me sad even though any washed-up actor would kill for that kind of implosion if it meant having The Wrestler before it. His acceptance speeches at the Globes and BAFTAs were really moving too. Even with its highs Rourke's is one of those what-could-have-been careers. Watching the stuff he did in the '80s, he did have the potential to become an iconic leading man. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's telling that no one even comes within 100 miles of him these days other than I guess some Eastern European producers who are putting out the most worthless DTV action schlock. No one's even casting him in cameos for nostalgia reasons, because there's zero nostalgia. 

I heard a story that back in the day he was invited to host SNL and offered an idea for a sketch where some female cast member would be telling him about how she'd been raped and he (as her psychiatrist) would repeatedly try to sleep with her. That's it. That's the entire joke. And it was the only thing he came up with when they asked him. 

Kelly LeBrock,  his ex wife has horror stories about his abuse.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TheMovieman said:

Went DTV? Is he even making movies? I can't remember the last movie of his I've seen and I get all sorts of DTV crap to review...

Edit: Including several from the aforementioned Bruce Willis (though they don't exactly "star" him, he was in for a day or two playing cardboard cutout villains).

Willis's career is so weird. He commands a lot of money even now (he fell out of Expendables 3 because he wanted 3M for 3 days instead of 2M), he obviously does not care about script or anything, just how much money is coming his way. In a way, that is refreshing that he cares so little, but it hurts his brand in the long term. The only reason he isn't considered like a Nic Cage is because he is a bit more "in control" than Cage is.

Funnily enough, Willis has a specific vision with Die Hard, in Die Hard 4 the studio wanted some changes made to a scene and Willis felt those were not in the "spirit" of Die Hard and asked the studio "So who is your second choice to play John McClane?". He is so fiercely protective that the studio had to film scenes when Willis wasn't on set just to insert any references to the previous movies as Willis didn't want to retread the ground.

Wonder what happened to this movie though?

Die_Hard_Year_One_logo.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Willis's career is so weird. He commands a lot of money even now (he fell out of Expendables 3 because he wanted 3M for 3 days instead of 2M), he obviously does not care about script or anything, just how much money is coming his way. In a way, that is refreshing that he cares so little, but it hurts his brand in the long term. The only reason he isn't considered like a Nic Cage is because he is a bit more "in control" than Cage is.

Funnily enough, Willis has a specific vision with Die Hard, in Die Hard 4 the studio wanted some changes made to a scene and Willis felt those were not in the "spirit" of Die Hard and asked the studio "So who is your second choice to play John McClane?". He is so fiercely protective that the studio had to film scenes when Willis wasn't on set just to insert any references to the previous movies as Willis didn't want to retread the ground.

Wonder what happened to this movie though?

Die_Hard_Year_One_logo.png

Oh yeah. That awful idea for a movie. Hopefully it fell into oblivion where it belongs 

Willis' case recently is so weird because he had such a great unexpected one-two punch of Moonrise Kingdom and Looper in 2012 - and was totally engaged with the material in both - and then completely tapped out all over again. I don't get it.

• Like 6

Wow. Quite the slaughterhouse here.

FOTF's big ass drop (assuming DHD didn't lowball more than usual) is, well, big. No surprise, honestly.

Born In China being the #1 new release actually surprises me. I thought Unforgettable would take that spot (of course, that's not saying anything at all). BIC isn't necessarily setting the world on fire, but for a nature documentary, it's okay I guess (the powah of Disney). Though one has to wonder if Fahrenheit 9/11 will EVER be beaten as the #1 documentary of all time DOM.

Unforgettable seems to have been forgotten before it even started. And The Promise that Open Road made of releasing this movie is probably one they'll regret forever now.

However, Free Fire and Phoenix Forgotten w/1M total in doubt has gotta be the highlight (or lowlight). Jesus Christ... La La Land made almost 1M in 4 fucking theaters, for God's sake. That's what happens when you don't even try to market your films properly. At least A24 doesn't care much about BO, but God knows who or what Phoenix Forgotten is (other than it's a found footage horror movie) and what its distributor wanted out of it.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Then Rourke imploded again.  Roberts works all the time now and there's some gold among the dross but he murdered his career as a lead.  

Kilmer had Kiss Kiss Bang Bang but that was an indie and it didn't much build from there even though he was fantastic in it.   In contrast co-star RDJ who one would think had burned bridges was always very well liked so that even when he was in prison he had work offers (he was even let out on furlough to do a couple).   His issue became being insured.

Some actors can turn their rep around.  Stallone had a horrible rep, especially in the 80s and 90s - so much so there are still people who hated him enough to not vote for him for Creed.  But after his career hit the skids he owned up to how horrible he was and is reportedly much better now.

8 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Willis' case recently is so weird because he had such a great unexpected one-two punch of Moonrise Kingdom and Looper in 2012 - and was totally engaged with the material in both - and then completely tapped out all over again. I don't get it.

Yeah, I don't get either of these cases. Kilmer was absolutely pitch perfect in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and then he simply didn't take any advantage of that good will, what gives? Meanwhile Willis was truly great in those two and then he just went back to not caring, so odd. I hope he does well with Unbreakable 2 though.