kayumanggi

GEMINI MAN | Oct 11 19 | Paramount | Estimated to lose 111.1M

Saw this. The HFR provides a hyper smooth scrubbed-clean look that means there's basically no texture or atmosphere whatsoever to the world onscreen, the eyes get tired quickly having to follow the never-stopping motion, and for all the surface "immersion" there are barely any actual images here worth a damn. This ironically would probably be a bigger liability if the movie had a better script. As it stands it's extremely first-drafty and noncommittal about drama/conflict etc. which only reinforces the feeling that you're watching a tech demo. There's a really nice and clean motorcycle chase but also a scene of CG fire that's just heart-stoppingly atrocious to look at like it's from 1992 or something. If you're gonna see this at all - and it's totally skippable - HFR is probably the way to go just because of the novelty, you'll at least have a little more to pay attention to. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

The HFR provides a hyper smooth scrubbed-clean look that means there's basically no texture or atmosphere whatsoever to the world onscreen

I wonder if there is an actual link or just because of the choice made, did documentary filmed in HFR IMAX back in the 90s had that (or 48 fps is not fast enough to change how much camera exposure you need and change the look ) ?

10 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Saw this. The HFR provides a hyper smooth scrubbed-clean look that means there's basically no texture or atmosphere whatsoever to the world onscreen, the eyes get tired quickly having to follow the never-stopping motion, and for all the surface "immersion" there are barely any actual images here worth a damn. This ironically would probably be a bigger liability if the movie had a better script. As it stands it's extremely first-drafty and noncommittal about drama/conflict etc. which only reinforces the feeling that you're watching a tech demo. There's a really nice and clean motorcycle chase but also a scene of CG fire that's just heart-stoppingly atrocious to look at like it's from 1992 or something. If you're gonna see this at all - and it's totally skippable - HFR is probably the way to go just because of the novelty, you'll at least have a little more to pay attention to. 

did you see it in 120 or 60?

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

ah ok. looks like try as i might i'm not gonna be able to see this in 120, so even though i've got to settle for 60 it's nice to know it'll still be weird and distracting even if it's not the full experience.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

My favorite Ang Lee movie is one of his lesser known ones..."Ride With The Devil" set in Missouri during the Civil War.

it's underrated but not one of his best i think. tobey kinda sinks it tbh. but jeffrey wright is great.

in fact it's ranking time baby

1. Eat Drink Man Woman

2. Brokeback

3. Lust Caution

4. Hulk

5. Crouching Tiger

6. The Ice Storm

7. Sense and Sensibility

8. Ride With The Devil

9. Life of Pi

10. Billy Lynn

11. Taking Woodstock

good director. 1-7 are great would probably all make my top tens of those years. need to see his first two. the fact that my bottom three are his last three movies... err not a great trend.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

My favorite Ang Lee movie is one of his lesser known ones..."Ride With The Devil" set in Missouri during the Civil War.

Thanks. I love the Civil War period so I'll definitely check it out. 

I'm rooting for Will here. He was the biggest movie star in the world at one point. Then that monumental collapse. After Earth, in which he made a movie so his son could star, really turned the audience(and critics) on him. He was in limbo for a while.

He appears to be making somewhat of a comeback. This is looking like mild misstep, but he's got Bad Boys Forever(?) coming, which is sure to be a hit.

Depressing that Lee's last two movies might be his worst two. Just difficult to engage with... Go in expecting a trashy 90s actioner and you might have a passable time. Mary Liz reminds me of a young Sigourney Weaver more and more each day. Kind of hard not to be infatuated with her everything on screen in anything she's in. Wish she was Captain Marvel.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Mary Liz reminds me of a young Sigourney Weaver more and more each day. Kind of hard not to be infatuated with her everything on screen in anything she's in. Wish she was Captain Marvel.

In her first couple scenes with Smith I was all like just put these two in a legit North by Northwest type movie. Why so half-assed?

• Like 1

Also saw this linked on Twitter and it cracks me up. Ah the '90s.

Lemke hits H’w’d with 2-pic pitch

Darren Lemke, who until February was wrangling shopping carts at a ShopRite in Carlstad, N.J., is now a half-million dollars richer, having sold two pitches to Touchstone for Tony Scott to direct.

The price for both is an estimated $500,000. JD Prods.’ Don Murphy and Jane Hamsher are producing. The first pitch is “Undertow,” the search for the black box after Air Force One is blown out of the sky, and the second is an untitled sci-fi thriller about a successful corporate assassin who is hunted by a younger clone of himself, created by a genetic engineering company.

The 27-year-old scribe has been writing screenplays since he was 15, but his scripts hadn’t gained attention until he gave a script called “Cherry Poppers” to Salvatore Capone, a friend who worked for director Joe Dante’s company Renfield Prods.

“It’s beyond words and it hasn’t hit me yet,” Lemke said. “I always thought I had two talents: pushing up shopping carts and writing. I had no middle ground. Going out to Los Angeles is like visiting Oz. People want to look at my scripts and talk to me. I mean I even met Tony Scott. I’m somewhere over the rainbow.”

https://variety.com/1997/film/news/lemke-hits-h-w-d-with-2-pic-pitch-1116679545/

• Like 1