kayumanggi

KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON | 10.20.2023 | Paramount | current gross: $67,826,648

On 2/22/2020 at 11:56 AM, CoolioD1 said:

Listen, he's achieved so much in his career. the only accomplishment left is to Heavens Gate style destroy a studio with a single film.

Didn't he kind of sort of in a way do that to Netflix?  I mean, I know it's not quite the same thing but Irishman was the 6th most popular film on Netflix over the Christmas period.  It was out-populared by some Rob Lowe Halmark type Christmas film that cost about $25.00 to produce.  

Just now, Maggie said:

If that budget is right (i doubt it), i can see Paramount not making the movie, but i seriously doubt DiCaprio would do a Netflix film. he's too big of a star with huge box office pull, to mess with his brand

why are people saying this? did he say something against netflix at some point? i looked it up and this is what he said about the potential of this film going to netflix

To be honest, there wouldn’t be that much that I would say to Martin Scorsese, if that’s what he wanted to do. But honestly, I’m open for anything. I’m not here to be some vestige of holding on to the old guard. It’s kind of weird given the film we’re talking about, but considering the silent film to talking transition, or something like that… you have to go with the inevitable flow of where technology and this industry takes you. What’s the use of being the last vanguard of some old form? I rarely think about those things. I just think, who can I make a great movie with? That’s it. I’m not here to make any statements.

sounds like he doesn't care. it's total fanfic to think that he'd deny scorsese, who he respects too much, because he'd work with netflix.

11 hours ago, The Panda said:

He should definitely take this to Disney then

Have you seen how much Disney makes in a year? Scorsese would have to make this film for at least $500 million if he's going to cripple the Mouse House.

2 hours ago, 35MM-18 said:

Have you seen how much Disney makes in a year? Scorsese would have to make this film for at least $500 million if he's going to cripple the Mouse House.

A true master like Scorsese would do what needs to be done

• Thanks 1

I don't think Leo would ever turn down Scorsese. Whether it's netflix or even a tv show/ limited series in HBO and Scorsese asked, he would probably do it. 

If this project is indeed at 220m pricetag (which it can't be) netflix will also turn it down even if Leo is in it.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

there's no reason for this to be 220M unless it's a superhero movie, lol. so something isn't right. probably misreported.

It's an outrageous budget for a period piece but even if we forget about The Irishman's budget (for the much need LOL special effects)  Hugo at $170m budget 9 years ago says hi (originally budgeted at $100m and Scorsese went over).  Gangs of NY almost 20 years ago had a $97m budget.

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

there's no reason for this to be 220M unless it's a superhero movie, lol. so something isn't right. probably misreported.

Yeah, I agree. 

Even if the marketing costs are taken into account, this film shouldn't cost any more than $150 million.

On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 5:54 PM, 35MM-18 said:

And United Artist was already having major problems before Heaven Gate's bombed. Other studios in that same period had films that lost just as much ..."Raise the Titanic" for instance...but they survived. UA was just in a very vulnerable spot.

In most cases a big flop film that causes the collapse of a studio or production company is not the only cause, but is sort of the straw that broke the camel's back situation.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 7:59 PM, TalismanRing said:

It's an outrageous budget for a period piece but even if we forget about The Irishman's budget (for the much need LOL special effects)  Hugo at $170m budget 9 years ago says hi (originally budgeted at $100m and Scorsese went over).  Gangs of NY almost 20 years ago had a $97m budget.

All those made at least some sence in context though. Irishman's budget got so high because of the de-aging CGI and probably didn't get greenlight with a 160m budget from the start. Hugo was a pitched as a PG film for all the family and got made within that 2 year bubble where 3D was the future of cinema. Gangs was at the tail end of an era where historical epics of that scale where still a thing, and they almost built a lifesize replica of 19th century New York at Cinecitta studios. You can see where all the money went.

This project is a crime thriller set in the 1920s. Even if both Leo and Scorsese wanted 20m each upfront and to rebuild Osafe county of the 20s Gangs of NY style, I still don't see how you could get even close to that 220m number. It must be just bullshit a guy on twitter said just because he can.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2020 at 6:16 AM, 35MM-18 said:

Given the current state of affairs, I don't think it would be surprising if it turns out production has been delayed for the time being.

It was nowhere near being ready for production, anyway.

On 3/15/2020 at 8:07 AM, Jake Gittes said:

Sure. Also Marty needs to be protected by all means necessary

Maybe he could do a documentary on the Corona VIrus Outbreak.....

(Extra points for anybody who gets this reference)..