kayumanggi

KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON | 10.20.2023 | Paramount | final gross: $68,026,901

8 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Talking about the Box Potential for this Leo is the straw that stirs the drink. Scorese never had a 100 million dollar grossing movie until he teamed with him. His biggest movie up to then was Cape Fear which did about 75 million. His next biggest was Color of Money I think with about 50 or so.

What is impressive is that the movies he chooses to make are seldom in the big box office genre films.

One interesting thing is that I think this is the first Scorsese film where that has his two favorite actors.....De Capio and De Niro..appear together.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 10:23 AM, emoviefan said:

Talking about the Box Potential for this Leo is the straw that stirs the drink. Scorese never had a 100 million dollar grossing movie until he teamed with him. His biggest movie up to then was Cape Fear which did about 75 million. His next biggest was Color of Money I think with about 50 or so.

I think people forget how much Nicholson was used in marketing The Departed 

55 minutes ago, Curiouser and Curiouser said:

So based on all of the tracking, which admittedly I don't completely understand, what does this seem to be heading towards for a domestic OW? I have seen numbers all over the place, but I was wondering how the 24 million prediction Deadline reported on was looking...

Should clear $30 mil. I'd peg it closer to $35 mil.

57 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

So, how's this film fixin' to do?

Tried to look for answers on the Box Office subreddit, but anyone who even implies the word "flop" gets downvoted and told "this doesn't need to make money in theaters!"

If all goes well and doesn't get a super early streaming release I think usual Leo/Scorsese range 100ish dom/ 300ish ww.

Anyone that's itching to call it a flop based on the budget ignoring it's Apple might as well start now because it needs like half a billion to do 2.5x the budget.

1 minute ago, Joel M said:

If all goes well and doesn't get a super early streaming release I think usual Leo/Scorsese range 100ish dom/ 300ish ww.

Anyone that's itching to call it a flop based on the budget ignoring it's Apple might as well start now because it needs like half a billion to do 2.5x the budget.

This is co-funded by apple and paramount no? 300 million and does well on streaming would probably make everyone happy here tbh.

29 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I know Scorsese is Scorsese, but why is this the film where we start factoring in the studio making the film. Paramount didn't get special treatment for Mission Impossible, The Flash didn't get it for The Flash, and Disney didn't get it for Indiana Jones. I get that Apple won't lose money in the big scheme of things, but still...

19 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I know Scorsese is Scorsese, but why is this the film where we start factoring in the studio making the film. Paramount didn't get special treatment for Mission Impossible, The Flash didn't get it for The Flash, and Disney didn't get it for Indiana Jones. I get that Apple won't lose money in the big scheme of things, but still...

It's not about protecting Scorsese. Scorsese has had many flops in his career, he 'll be fine. He only cared about making the movie he wanted, which I assumed he did. 

It's about a streaming movie making any kind of real money in theatres. Apple could have released this in limited release without boxoffice reported and then claim success that a bajillion people saw it on streaming. Releasing this and Napoleon for real is a great opportunity. Maybe if they do some real money other streamers will try it to and even start treating theatrical exhibition as a worthy revenue stream instead of competition or a nuisance to get oscar noms. 

The difference between this and the Flash or Indiana Jones, is that those were made with huge budgets because studios wanted and expected them to make way more than they did. This was made with huge budget because Apple wanted the Scorsese/Dicaprio prestige on their streaming service. A traditional studio would just never make this.

In the end no one forcing anyone to treat this or Napoleon or Air as a special case. You can treat it as every other release and call it flop if it doesn't double its bugget, and you don't even have to wait for box office numbers for that, you can probably start now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

$350-$500m WW, just like most of Leo’s recent movies sounds right.

Funny how people have been saying “Disney’s bombs this year aren’t actually bombs, as they can make the money back through other means”, but said people do not extend that logic to Apple even though it is much more applicable in this case.

With that said, this is not bombing. Sure, Low budgeted dramas with C-list actors have been bombing hard lately.

But a Martin Scorcese $200m epic starring Leonardo DiCaprio is not that.

36 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Funny how people have been saying “Disney’s bombs this year aren’t actually bombs, as they can make the money back through other means”, but said people do not extend that logic to Apple even though it is much more applicable in this case.

One: this having an Oscar campaign means even after release it'll have months and months of promotion expenses.

Two: Disney+ has 146 million subscribers. Apple+ has 25 million. 

4 hours ago, Joel M said:

It's not about protecting Scorsese. Scorsese has had many flops in his career, he 'll be fine. He only cared about making the movie he wanted, which I assumed he did. 

It's about a streaming movie making any kind of real money in theatres. Apple could have released this in limited release without boxoffice reported and then claim success that a bajillion people saw it on streaming. Releasing this and Napoleon for real is a great opportunity. Maybe if they do some real money other streamers will try it to and even start treating theatrical exhibition as a worthy revenue stream instead of competition or a nuisance to get oscar noms. 

The difference between this and the Flash or Indiana Jones, is that those were made with huge budgets because studios wanted and expected them to make way more than they did. This was made with huge budget because Apple wanted the Scorsese/Dicaprio prestige on their streaming service. A traditional studio would just never make this.

In the end no one forcing anyone to treat this or Napoleon or Air as a special case. You can treat it as every other release and call it flop if it doesn't double its bugget, and you don't even have to wait for box office numbers for that, you can probably start now. 

Things need to be evaluated individually. This movie is a streaming movie and the money they make theatrically is a bonus not the point. 

4 hours ago, Joel M said:

Why are people so quick to call this a flop of it doesn’t make half a billion. It’s not going to and that’s not its expectation. Shouldn’t “flops” be considered things that actually underperform in the eyes of the people funding them?