kayumanggi

KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON | 10.20.2023 | Paramount | current gross: $67,826,648

Was expecting this delay based on its November release which is just 3 months away.

Not much hype surrounding its release...no teaser...for a 200m movie.

Looks like it will have a May/June release like TGM next year with cannes premier first as reported

34 minutes ago, p a p i said:

Yeah. This doesn't seem to be happening this year. 

This may premier at Cannes to start building hype, but it will never release in May/June. 

This is a October-December movie. 

Really depends how good it is...if it's not really a Best Picture contender (and delayed/re-shot films rarely are), they could release it in a less saturated month.

34 minutes ago, Derpity said:

Really depends how good it is...if it's not really a Best Picture contender (and delayed/re-shot films rarely are), they could release it in a less saturated month.

Summer 2023 is going to be saturated as heck lol. June would not be an easy place for this movie.

• Like 2

There's also rumors from Deadline that Emancipation is moving back to this year which seems suspect since the whole point of moving it to 2023 was to get as far away from Slapgate as possible. Still incredibly excited to see this though, whenever it comes out.

Maybe they're in denial, but the awards bloggers seem skeptical that this is really moving to 2023. The Deadline article leaves some wiggle room and the prognosticators feel it's unlikely that the movie would already be set for Cannes next year (versus a fall festival). 

Also, Apple has other prestige projects expected next year-Napoleon, plus Emancipation could be ready for 2022 but they might want to put more distance between it and The Slap. Would they really add something else to their 2023 slate? There's a report that a Killers of the Flower Moon trailer was recently rated and is coming soon, but the source seems to be World of Reel, which has whiffed on some "scoops" recently. I guess we'll know the truth sooner or later...

30 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I think since Paramount is distributing this, it's more an issue for them. They have Babylon which is an easy lock still to be released and Top Gun now demands a campaign. Juggling 3 films is a lot

The Tragedy of Macbeth was Apple/A24, and it looks like Apple hosted the FYC page. Still, a second priority for them compared to CODA. I wonder which studio has the final say about release dates in these co-production situations. Apple would have every reason for KotFM to stay in 2022 while Paramount might want to hold off to 2023.

1 hour ago, 35MM-18 said:

Apparently Cannes won't show it unless it's shorter, and Apple seems committed to giving it a real theatrical release.

This is not true, Cannes showed and 8-hour documentary before, they can make 200 minutes screenings for this 

Apple seems to be the one asking for a 3-hour cut and the movie is still being edited so let's see, but i doubt they will enter in a fight with Scorsese if he decided for 3 hours and 20 minutes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

This is not true, Cannes showed and 8-hour documentary before, they can make 200 minutes screenings for this 

Apple seems to be the one asking for a 3-hour cut and the movie is still being edited so let's see, but i doubt they will enter in a fight with Scorsese if he decided for 3 hours and 20 minutes.

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like I may have jumped the gun in posting this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

No worries, Cinema Solace is a good page, they're probably just mistaken 

Did some extra digging. This may have originally come from Jordan Ruimy, so definitely extra reason to question the validity. 

The bit about the film screening out of competition at Cannes does sound believable though; outside of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood I can't recall any other big-budget/Hollywood films that were in competition at Cannes. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 35MM-18 said:

The bit about the film screening out of competition at Cannes does sound believable though; outside of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood I can't recall any other big-budget/Hollywood films that were in competition at Cannes. 

Shrek and Shrek 2. More along the lines of Flower Moon, while not big-budget, major studio films like L.A. Confidential, Zodiac, Changeling and Moulin Rouge played in competition. It happened more often in the '70s. Apocalypse Now must be the last truly mammoth Hollywood thing to have done it.

• Like 1