Colossal (2017)  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

First thing's first: this is one weird fucking movie. A Pacific Rim-style monsters-vs-robots extravaganza crossed with an indictment of toxic masculinity? Point me in the direction of the shrooms that were consumed that led to the creation of this, please! As absurd as the premise is, this is actually a very effective and inventive movie overall. This is definitely one of Anne Hathaway's better performances, but the real surprise is Jason Sudeikis, who handles his character's dark turn later on in the movie better than any of his previous roles would indicate. Also, the short film that runs before the movie is priceless. B+

Ahh this is absolutely wonderful.
Vigalondo absolutely nails playing around with the contrasts - big vs small, human vs the fantastical... He manages to switch between tones effortlessly, deliver the laughs effortlessly, and bring the drama effortlessly. Found this surprisingly poignant too, with some issues brought up definitely sure to hit home - while at the same time, bringing the fun and the absurdity of the whole concept in full force. It's at the same time a send up of these giant monster films, and something with its own story to tell. Definitely one of my favorites of the year. Oh, and Hathaway is fantastic.
9/10

• Like 1

Was definitely very unique. I got what it was attempting to represent very early but the film is pretty uneven and the backstory for why this is all happening wasn't as fulfilling as I wanted. The monster parts are really cool but this felt like two completely different movies at times. I understood all the symbolism involving alcohol, but the film never really has that big aha moment where the two stories come together to justify telling them in this way. The plot comes off more like an idea a writer came up with while stoned at an afterparty. It doesn't feel fully realized and in turn is kind of eccentric just to be eccentric. But don't get me wrong, once it gets going, I really enjoyed the movies original takes on hero cliches and there are some great performances (especially Jason Sudeikis evil turn) and effective CGI in the larger set pieces. I just thought that it would piece together in a more satisfying manner by credits and unfortunately it really didn't for me. Still, I thought this had enough strong moments that outweighed the sloppier ones to recommend if you are into unconventional ideas. I dunno, gonna marinate on this for a few days. Could easily improve the more I think about it or with a rewatch. - B-

Edited by somebody85

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

this was a fun time. like i said in another thread i can't remember the last time i hated a villain in a movie so much. couldn't wait to see that dude get his ass handed to him. 

Jason Sudeikis' character is easily the best villain of the year so far, in large part because he's much more grounded in reality than the average movie bad guy.

• Like 1

Love this movie so much, as my avatar probably indicates. @CoolioD1 and @filmlover if fucking Zemo can get nominated for Best Villain, then we need to make sure Oscar gets in too.

But I saw a post that explained in the Harry Potter universe why Umbridge was hated nearly as much as Voldemort despite not doing anything as explicitly evil. "Voldemort is the evil we never hope to face. Umbridge is the evil we face every day." That's part of why the villain here is so effective and devastating. 

• Like 2

• Community Manager

I really liked it and enjoyed it. Jason Sudeikis delivers an amazing performance, Anne Hathaway proves that even in smaller independent features like this she's still a real star, and the CGI is pretty good for it's budget level. Having said that, I don't give it an A- largely because it did drag in some places.

B+

I loved the original premise.  I thought the acting was a strong point in the movie.  Hathaway was excellent and Sudeikis knocked it out of the park.  It was slow in a few parts and I think some aspects of the story weren't as effectively addressed but all in all a good flick.

It definately looked like the millionth variation on the kooky sundance dramedy about someone going back home from the big city because "life crisis" or sth. That narrative is so played out that the movie engages with it fully with the douchebag boyfriend in a suit and the regular guy childhood friend that still loves her. And then it pulls the rag. It definately works in the moment and both Hathaway and Sudeikis are really selling the stakes despite the silliness of the story, but I think the kaiju as a metaphor for her alcoholism that the movie is pushing early on kind of dissapears the moment Sudeikis goes dark. It is a little disjointed but I enjoyed the movie very much. The idea alone is just so inspired.  

B+