YM!

2018: Superhero Underperformance/Peak? Or Complete Domination?

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

My first movie in theaters was The Incredibles, I was 4 at the time, my second movie in theaters was Spongebob Movie.

From what I can remember, George of the Jungle was my first movie in theaters, with Flubber being the 2nd.

28 minutes ago, cheesypoofs said:

From what I can remember, George of the Jungle was my first movie in theaters, with Flubber being the 2nd.

I saw like a rerelease of a Disney classic first my first movie.  I think it was snow while. 

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia

Maybe not fatigue per se, but 11 Superhero films is too much in a 1 year span, although I don't know if DC will get another film out, and Venom is also a question mark on if it gets released then, however I don't see any of them majorly bombing, unless they are Fan4stic bad. 

Black Panther $125/$325m

New Mutants $60/$140m

Avengers: Infinity War $200/$520m

Deadpool 2 $135/$340m

The Incredibles 2 $130/$425m

Ant-Man and the Wasp $70/$175m

Venom $50/$125m

X-Men: Dark Phoenix $60/$145m

Aquaman $60/$160m

Animated Spider-Man $55/$170m (Aquaman and Animated Spider-Man can't keep that release date though)

• Like 2

Every year we have Superhero movies that are huge hits but also Superhero movies with disappointing results: Apocalypse, Turtles 2, FF, ASM2...

It's going to be the same over and over. Superhero movies are going to stay with us forever. A few will fail, and many will have solid BO.

Also, while SH movies are really succesful, they're not easily dominating the market. Since 2010, only one SH movie (Avengers) has been the most seen movie domestically.

4 hours ago, cookie said:

If the writer's strike goes through I don't see Venom or Dark Pheonix happening next year.

I agree. I said it in the thread for the strike but if it goes through then I see Fox moving Deadpool 2 to Dark Phoenix's release date because that movie won't happen

58 minutes ago, Nova said:

I agree. I said it in the thread for the strike but if it goes through then I see Fox moving Deadpool 2 to Dark Phoenix's release date because that movie won't happen

I think Dark Phoenix will happen, they will probably just move it to memorial weekend 2019, which is looking surprisingly soft right now. 

Edited by Kalo

5 minutes ago, Kalo said:

I think Dark Phoenix will happen, they will probably just move it to memorial weekend next year which is looking surprisingly soft right now. 

The Han Solo movie is coming out that weekend so it's not a soft weekend at all. And considering Dark Phoenix doesn't even have a script yet, if the writers strike does indeed happen there's no way they're getting it out by November of 2018 let alone Memorial Day Weekend 2018. 

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

The Han Solo movie is coming out that weekend so it's not a soft weekend at all. And considering Dark Phoenix doesn't even have a script yet, if the writers strike does indeed happen there's no way they're getting it out by November of 2018 let alone Memorial Day Weekend 2018. 

I meant Memorial Day Weekend 2019. 

Edited by Kalo

1 minute ago, Kalo said:

I was referring to Memorial Day Weekend 2019. 

I see. My mistake haha I was like wait MD 2018 is full! But yea I think it should be moved there regardless of whether the strike happens or not. And DP should be moved to November. But then again im not the head of the studio haha 

• Like 1