YM!

2018: Superhero Underperformance/Peak? Or Complete Domination?

On 4/25/2017 at 0:32 AM, Dexter of Suburbia said:

My first superhero I saw in theaters was batsman and robin :( 

Batman Forever for me. 

Some in here are literally, kids. Or maybe we are old farts. 

8 hours ago, Kalo said:

Maybe not fatigue per se, but 11 Superhero films is too much in a 1 year span, although I don't know if DC will get another film out, and Venom is also a question mark on if it gets released then, however I don't see any of them majorly bombing, unless they are Fan4stic bad. 

Black Panther $125/$325m

New Mutants $60/$140m

Avengers: Infinity War $200/$520m

Deadpool 2 $135/$340m

The Incredibles 2 $130/$425m

Ant-Man and the Wasp $70/$175m

Venom $50/$125m

X-Men: Dark Phoenix $60/$145m

Aquaman $60/$160m

Animated Spider-Man $55/$170m (Aquaman and Animated Spider-Man can't keep that release date though)

I agree with just about all of those but I think Ant Man and the Wasp can do a little more 

• Like 1

I'm happy with a comic book movie a month so I'm good with whatever.

first movie I saw in a theatre was dune and I was five. My brothers, myself and my dad were sitting in the aisles as the movie theatre over sold tickets. Fun times! 

• Like 2

The writer's strike might make the whole point of this thread moot.

I'm really annoyed by all that; I was so happy a couple of days ago with all this X-men goodness being announced and now greed might get in the way, so typical.

Edited by Arlborn

9 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

The writer's strike might make the whole point of this thread moot.

I'm really annoyed by all that; I was so happy a couple of days ago with all this X-men goodness being announced and now greed might get in the way, so typical.

Everything from Black Panther to Ant Man 2 will be fine including Animated Spider-Man and Incredibles 2 since animated movies are left alone. However Dark Phoenix may move to 2/14/19 spot, Venom may not happen, and Aquaman may stay or be pushed back to April or June.

18 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Everything from Black Panther to Ant Man 2 will be fine including Animated Spider-Man and Incredibles 2 since animated movies are left alone. However Dark Phoenix may move to 2/14/19 spot, Venom may not happen, and Aquaman may stay or be pushed back to April or June.

Ant Man 2 hasn't started filming, correct? 

And im pretty sure Aquaman is filming before it. So, wouldn't Aquaman be safer? 

Just now, UNDERDOG said:

Ant Man 2 hasn't started filming, correct? 

And im pretty sure Aquaman is filming before it. So, wouldn't Aquaman be safer? 

Both haven't started filming but AM2 I think has a script written at the moment.

8 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Both haven't started filming but AM2 I think has a script written at the moment.

Aquaman films in May. You don't think they have a script already?

Edited by UNDERDOG

4 minutes ago, UNDERDOG said:

It's in preproduction. Still didn't/not sure if it's filming in May, I might be wrong.

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

It's in preproduction. Still didn't/not sure if it's filming in May, I might be wrong.

Just checked: 

Aquaman officially starts to film on May 22nd.

Ant Man And the Wasp starts filming in June, according to Feige.

Just now, UNDERDOG said:

Just checked: 

Aquaman officially starts to film on May 22nd.

Ant Man And the Wasp starts filming in June, according to Feige.

Okay, thought it filmed later. Probably will stay in that spot then. Venom and Dark Phoenix are getting pushed back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Okay, thought it filmed later. Probably will stay in that spot then. Venom and Dark Phoenix are getting pushed back.

Oh, definitely. Those two are the only CBM's of next year that I'm completely unsure of even happening.

Wow I can't believe I forgot that there's supposed to be a venom movie next year too...I absolutely love venom, but they should push it back....not only should they push it back, they should REALLY consider making it a part of the mcu. It'll get destroyed if not.

2 hours ago, UNDERDOG said:

It's a DCEU film, I don't know why a writers strike would affect it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

At least in the past, Marvel was helped a lot by Dark Knight broadening the audience and changed the view toward superheroes movie among a lot of people, after that the DCEU release were probably helped by how big the genre became worldwide with Avenger. They each can help or hurt the others.

Movie being good make people come more in theater in general, even more for similar stuff.

The dystopian YA adult genre would have probably stayed strong a little bit longer, if the level of quality would have been 15% better in average for example and everyone making them would have been better off by a better overall competition.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Sure, Marvel is currently considered the cream of the crop, but if audiences magically get tired of superhero movies because we get a rash of lousy ones on the level of Suicide Squad or X-Men: Apocalypse

Lousy article.

:apocalypse:

• Like 1

At least in the past, Marvel was helped a lot by Dark Knight broadening the audience and changed the view toward superheroes movie among a lot of people, after that the DCEU release were helped probably helped by how big the genre became worldwide with Avenger.

Movie being good make people come more in theater in general, even more for similar stuff.

You're a good man. I enjoy your posts.