YM!

2018: Superhero Underperformance/Peak? Or Complete Domination?

I just realize that in the 6 month period of Feb thru July every month except for March, will have at least one theatrically released Marvel movie, while the last three months of 2018 will be 3 Marvel theatrically released movies in such time.

2018 Marvel Movies:

Feb: Black Panther - Disney

April: New Mutants - Fox

May: Avengers Infinity War - Disney

June: Deadpool 2 - Fox

July: Ant-Man and The Wasp - Disney

October: Venom - Sony

November: Dark Phoenix - Fox

December: Miles Morales Animated Spider-Man Movie - Sony

The Only theatrically released DC movie will be Aquaman being released in December and 2018 CBM landscape is sure Marvel dominated.

Edited by chrisman0606

I think the big ones will do well, and the smaller ones will do mid range and/or underperform. The genre as a whole will continue to do well for a very long time.

As far as my excitement for each of the coming ones is:

• Wonder Woman - Very excited. Really like the trailers, and the good reactions are encouraging (even if Twitter reactions are about as reliable as Alex Jones).
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming - Looks pretty generic by the spoilertastic trailers, but the non-trailer clips have shown promise, and Holland did a great job as Peter Parker in Civil War, so I'm hopeful. As long as it's not a glorified Iron Man 4, we're good.
  • Thor: Ragnarok - Shot all the way from one of my least anticipated SH movies coming out to one of my most. That trailer is something fucking else.
  • Justice League - Veeery iffy on this one. I actually thought the 1st trailer looked fun. The 2nd... meh. You've got a problem when only one shot stands out (Aquaman riding the Batmobile). And w/a DCEU swing and a miss record of 2 for 2 so far (though I didn't hate BVS anywhere near as much as a lot of people did), Snyder is still very unproven for me. I'll watch it cause of course I will, but the skepticism is real.
  • Black Panther - BRING. IT. ON. The cast and director are all fantastic, and Panther was my favorite part of Civil War. So excited.
  • The New Mutants - Josh Boone did a terrific job w/Fault In Our Stars, the cast sounds good and I like these 'different' X-verse movies... we shall see where this goes.
  • Avengers: Infinity War - I gotta admit: I feel that I should be more excited about this that I actually am. It does kinda feel like "oh, here we go again", doesn't it? It's just not as exciting as it was 3 movies ago. I'm confident enough in the Russos (I did like Civil War), but... a lot of things that could go wrong in such a massive movie. Thanos is my biggest worry, hands down, although the Russos are responsible for 3 of the good MCU movie villains (a number of which I could count in 1 hand, 1.5 at best). I hope the GOTG and even Strange give the concept the breath of fresh air it desperately needs. I'm obviously still hyped for it, but... yeah.
  • Deadpool 2 - Hell to the YASS. Cannot wait for the DP/Cable interactions and dialogue. And hopefully better action w/the John Wick guy at helm.
  • The Incredibles 2 - My most anticipated animated film of all time. Besides Toy Story (and maybe Inside Out), the one original film by Pixar w/total leeway for a sequel always has been Incredibles. The characters and the worldbuilding are so amazing, and the wait for this to release is coming to an end. So much fucking potential, please be good.
  • Ant-Man And The Wasp - I really liked Ant-Man, and Hope was a good character, so yeah, this could be fun.
  • Venom - I was entirely on the NOOOOOPE train for this. Then I heard it was gonna be rated R... still didn't care. And then I heard Tom Hardy was cast in the role... that started giving me hope for this. If there's someone who can own this movie and save it w/some epic scene chewery, it's Tom f'n Hardy. I'm still not really interested, but it might turn better than expected.
  • X-Men: Dark Phoenix - Not really intrigued by it at all, honestly. Kinberg directing is even lesss exciting than if it were Singer again. Apocalypse wasn't bad, but I wouldn't classify it as better than okay either, and I can't see them doing a great job w/the Dark Phoenix saga either way, even if it probably will not be any worse than the Last Stand fiasco. And I'm kinda tired of the First Class universe, anyway. Sophie Turner is a big turn on, though.
  • Animated Spider-Man - ...sure, why not. Miles Morales is a good idea, as is the one of adapting well known superhero stories into big animated releases (been waiting for them to do that for a while). Lord and Miller's involvement is also a thumbs up. Still, I won't be jumping in joy if I get to see it, nor will I groan in sadness if I don't.
  • Aquaman - The one DCEU movie w/the least controversy attached to it is FUCKING AQUAMAN. Gotta love how irony plays w/us all. James Wan is a God among mortals and Momoa looks cool as Aquaman in the JLA trailers (and hot damn, Amber Heard as Mera...). We shall see. The virtual reality thing probably won't be for me, though.

On 22/4/2017 at 7:40 PM, narniadis said:

this

Personally I think the "collapse" isn't going to be so much financial as it is in a lack of spectacle and frankly suckage. You can only sustain well made films for so long and arguably we haven't seen a truly well made film from this genre in several years - well made does not = well received. No we haven't had tons of Batman and Robins either but as the resources, writers, etc get stretched it will worsen.

:lol::D

I literraly burst out laughing reading you.

Thanks a lot !

Great entertainment.

:):hi5:

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

DC (not next year) wants to do 3-4 films a year apparently. If Marvel does 4, DC does 4, Fox does 3, and Sony does 2, the consequences will be dire.

Disney needs to buy Sony and work a deal with Fox over this non-sense. For the sake of the genre it needs to happen. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, YourMother said:

DC (not next year) wants to do 3-4 films a year apparently. If Marvel does 4, DC does 4, Fox does 3, and Sony does 2, the consequences will be dire.

I dunno.

The poorly made movies will fail and the great ones will rise to the top.

Competetition and dependence on the genre will improve quality (look at this year).

Seems like a win-win.

On some point the Superhero films are going to flood the market,and start cannibalizing each other.

Of course the Comic Book fans are going to go see every one, even if they come out within a couple of weeks of each other, but the General Audience is another story.

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

On some point the Superhero films are going to flood the market,and start cannibalizing each other.

Of course the Comic Book fans are going to go see every one, even if they come out within a couple of weeks of each other, but the General Audience is another story.

Look at this summer.

Superhero movies aren't hurting each other. They're hurting non-superhero movies.

That's because more and more people only go to high quality superhero movies and ignore most the tripe Hollywood shovels their way. And I'm not just talking about fanboys and nerds.

Superhero movies have become the ideal blockbuster experience and the typical studio production can't muster up the same buzz/hype/enthusiasm.

If superheroes fall what superior genre will take their place? You can only make so many talking animal and Star Wars movies. 

There is a huge demand for superhero movies and unlike other genres there's an endless supply of comics to draw from.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Look at this summer.

Superhero movies aren't hurting each other. They're hurting non-superhero movies.

That's because more and more people only go to high quality superhero movies and ignore most the tripe Hollywood shovels their way. And I'm not just talking about fanboys and nerds.

Superhero movies have become the ideal blockbuster experience and the typical studio production can't muster up the same buzz/hype/enthusiasm.

If superheroes fall what superior genre will take their place? You can only make so many talking animal and Star Wars movies. 

There is a huge demand for superhero movies and unlike other genres there's an endless supply of comics to draw from.

Some people think Superhero movies are becoming tripe....

And the Superhero genre will go down in popularity, It is inevitable. They won't dissapeare, but they won't be automatic guarantees of box office success either.

At one point Westerns occupied a place as secure as Superhero movies do now. Look what happened.

You already hear a lot of compliants about "Antoher damn Comic Book Movie". As time goes on, more and more of the GA will just get tired of Superheros.

Something else will replace them. I cannot predict what that something will be, but something will come along.

Take off the fanboy blinders and look at film history.

Edited by dudalb

22 hours ago, YourMother said:

Nope. The GA will eat it up. They love superheroes.  You could 12 superhero films a year for a decade and they still be going strong. I feel like they are to I gained the culture and people like safe movies they know there going to enjoy. 

21 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Look at this summer.

This discussion is pointless. Folks have been talking about super hero fatigue for like five years plus and all I'm seeing is a bunch of nobody comic book characters make a shit ton of money at the box office and box office results continuing to increase. 

As long as the movie is good, I expect a comic book/super hero movie to make a ton of money and I don't see that changing anytime soon. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Some people think Superhero movies are becoming tripe....

And the Superhero genre will go down in popularity, It is inevitable. They won't dissapeare, but they won't be automatic guarantees of box office success either.

At one point Westerns occupied a place as secure as Superhero movies do now. Look what happened.

You already hear a lot of compliants about "Antoher damn Comic Book Movie". As time goes on, more and more of the GA will just get tired of Superheros.

Something else will replace them. I cannot predict what that something will be, but something will come along.

Take off the fanboy blinders and look at film history.

Have you seen the top movies of the summer?

We might have a situation where the top 3 spots are taken by superhero movies and they all make close to 400 m.

In other words superhero movies have never been stronger.

Clearly the people who lament superhero movies and consider them tripe aren't the majority of movie goers.

The summer box office speaks for itself.

Wolverine and Dr. Strange used to be C-list. Now they're flying past 200 m.

Money talks and the numbers don't lie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

So there's 11 superhero movies next year. I think fatigue may happen.

Black Panther

New Mutants

Infinity War

Deadpool 2

Incredibles 2

Ant Man & the Wasp

Venom

Dark Phoenix

Animated Spider-Man

Aquaman

Which one is the 11th?

And i consider Incredibles 2 to not realllly be in the SH genre. I think audiences will treat it as an animation movie rather than a SH movie. 

Just now, ZeeSoh said:

Black Panther

New Mutants

Infinity War

Deadpool 2

Incredibles 2

Ant Man & the Wasp

Venom

Dark Phoenix

Animated Spider-Man

Aquaman

Which one is the 11th?

And i consider Incredibles 2 to not realllly be in the SH genre. I think audiences will treat it as an animation movie rather than a SH movie. 

Teen Titans Go got a theatrical movie.