trifle

WGA authorizes strike with 96% vote | tentative agreement reached at 1am PDT

28 minutes ago, grim22 said:

If true, I don't see this strike resolving in the 2-4 week period mentioned earlier. Settle in, this is going long. Half of summer 2018 and beyond is going to see major shakeups.

Yeah, I'm seeing it too. Unless a compromise is reached tomorrow, there will be a strike, and my pessimistic side is telling me that it's inevitable at this point.

WGA and AMPTP meet tomorrow for the last time at 11:00 AM PST.

https://twitter.com/Variety_Cynthia/status/858862289868423169

4 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

Yeah, I'm seeing it too. Unless a compromise is reached tomorrow, there will be a strike, and my pessimistic side is telling me that it's inevitable at this point.

WGA and AMPTP meet tomorrow for the last time at 11:00 AM PST.

https://twitter.com/Variety_Cynthia/status/858862289868423169

Well, it's the last time before they either extend the deadline or strike, but negotiations will continue during the strike. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RiffRanger said:

It's kind of baffling that this is allowed to happen at all. What power do the studios really have? Without the writers, they have no product. Keep the writers happy. 

This presumes studios actually believe they need writers. Or in giving people money for their dork.

25 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

This presumes studios actually believe they need writers. Or in giving people money for their dork.

One would think they would learn from the previous strikes. Will they be so cocky when they have to delay all of their tentpoles next year?

Looking at the cost for the studios for this deal, I wonder how much it is about fearing what the DGA/SAG will ask next.

As for the previous strike, it did seem to have hurt the writer more than the studios, that could explain why they are cocky.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

If greedy elites learned lessons from strikes, we wouldn't be having this same kind of thing happen in industry after industry for 150 years. Don't hold your breath for next time, either.

Donald Trump was just elected president the 1% doesnt gotta change shit, America loves it

• Like 1

Not so hopeful anymore.

WGA Contract Talks Uneasy As Strike Deadline Approaches

With hours left on the clock before the current WGA contract expires, “things are not looking good,” an insider with ties to scribes tells Deadline.

While there is a chance production offices across town won’t be shut down tomorrow morning and picket lines won’t go up, a source close to the studios also wasn’t optimistic about a writers strike being averted. “We tried to make progress with our last proposal, but the other side is not receptive it seems,” the executive lamented.

After positive signs over the weekend, including an increased offer by producers reps the AMPTP for employer contributions to the health plan of more than $85 million over three years, negotiators for the studios and WGA have been sequestered since 11 AM today at the AMPTP headquarters in Sherman Oaks, CA after a rare Sunday bargaining session. There also was reportedly a move made in the area of compensation for writers employed on short-order TV series – one of the WGA’s main priorities in the talks.

http://deadline.com/2017/05/writers-strike-talks-uneasy-deadline-1202080850/

Edited by NoobSaibot