trifle

WGA authorizes strike with 96% vote | tentative agreement reached at 1am PDT

10 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Black Panther and Infinity War will be fine everything else..

Strike is not likely to last more than a few months, Ant-Man's the only Marvel one this should screw with I think

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jandrew said:

So if writers are striking, how is anything going to get made? Everyone is blaming the writers strike for creating trash content, is it because all the non-writers had to basically do the job? Or they just had to find non-striking writers?

Basically, who is actually writing the shows and movies during strike period that is the cause for them to be trash afterwards?

I think last time, there were some executive producers doing some writing.  From what I've seen, that is less likely to happen this time.  Seems there is pressure this time for shows to not even film scripts that have already been written once a strike begins.

Also, we had a lot reality shows start to appear.  They brought back Celebrity Apprentice, I believe, because they needed content.  The rest is hell-story.

• Like 3

Just now, filmlover said:

They're basically using what they already have.

I remember the talks of a possible SAG strike a few years back. Now that would be truly catastrophic.

I don't understand what you mean. Are you talking about non-writers already in the production who say "sure, since Billy left, I'll finish the script, even though my job is foley." Or are you talking about writers already involved? Because I thought they were unionized.

The best writers are going to be in WGA, because the union fights for things like better pay, royalties, better insurance, recognition, and a network to find projects. So the people available to write in a strike are either non-credited writers who don't have any experience, people breaking the strike who are okay with never working again apparently, or just random producers and actors who can fill in stuff. As noted, Daniel Craig pretty much wrote that crappy Bond movie on set, and stuff like that happens. But most likely, because of these bad options, they just delay and wait on projects. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Imagine if a studio gets so desperate for an original release that they go dumpster diving through their old scripts and find something and get some big name director to film it with no changes to the script lmao

653px-Sony_Pictures_old_logo.svg.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Again kind of naive to this, but what if a writer says f this and disobeys? Do they get fired/kicked out?

You're considered to be a "scab" and then get blacklisted later down the road. Pretty bad choice.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Imagine a DGA strike.  Entire productions would have to be shut down, some in the middle of filming. 

The DGA seems to come to deals a lot sooner than other entertainment unions. A SAG-AFTRA strike would also be damaging as well. 

2007/8 wasn't a good year for entertainment as a few weeks later stage hands went on strike and basically shut down the majority of Broadway.

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The best writers are going to be in WGA, because the union fights for things like better pay, royalties, better insurance, recognition, and a network to find projects. So the people available to write in a strike are either non-credited writers who don't have any experience, people breaking the strike who are okay with never working again apparently, or just random producers and actors who can fill in stuff. As noted, Daniel Craig pretty much wrote that crappy Bond movie on set, and stuff like that happens. But most likely, because of these bad options, they just delay and wait on projects. 

This is basically what I was asking. So Daniel Craig writing on set, execs are writing, and apparently Bay and co. had to throw stuff together for TF2. I find that sad, yet intriguing. I can't imagine an actor like Daniel Craig sitting on a laptop during makeup, just typing things in Final Draft. "Hey make up girl, read this line, does this sound cool?" Make up girl: "Yeah, I could see it."

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

The DGA seems to come to deals a lot sooner than other entertainment unions. A SAG-AFTRA strike would also be damaging as well. 

2007/8 wasn't a good year for entertainment as a few weeks later stage hands went on strike and basically shut down the majority of Broadway.

The DGA is the strongest guild and usually comes to a deal relatively quickly -- partially, I think, because it's one of the few creative positions where it's hard to imagine a production happening without directors (and assistant directors, and associate directors, and stage managers, etc).

8 minutes ago, jandrew said:

I don't understand what you mean. Are you talking about non-writers already in the production who say "sure, since Billy left, I'll finish the script, even though my job is foley." Or are you talking about writers already involved? Because I thought they were unionized.

Someone closely involved in the production in some creative capacity sort of tries to cover whatever gaps need covering, whether it's a studio exec or an actor or whatever. In the case of the actor, it may well be them trying to come up with lines and then having some other (non-writing, non-director person) writing down what they say.

• Like 6

Just now, Jonwo said:

The strike hasn't happened yet, it could easily be called off if negotiations go well.

True. Hopefully the studios get their heads out of their asses. 

I think the looming specter of the 2007 strike could allow for negotiations at the last hour. Although I feel for those who are w/o work, you gotta fight for better work conditions