trifle

WGA authorizes strike with 96% vote | tentative agreement reached at 1am PDT

13 minutes ago, Barnack said:

My first thought is that they would be useless because of say 20-30 A-lister writer making 1-2 million on big movies, skewing everything.

But the 33% drop since 2007 in the average pay (once adjusted to inflation) must be a tendancy that is not particular to the biggest writer.

And we are talking about a almost 2000 people and 383 million total, it should keep some relevance (even thought median pay would have been necessary here)

If say the top 30 writers are making 50 million in 2015, the average of the others go down to 176.4 from 199.6, so yeah I don't know what the top 100 total look like but it would affect the average a lot.

Not sure to fully get that part, normal employee also owe a fat chunk of their salary to taxes, usually more not having the liberty to mix dividend from their own company paid to themselves over time/salary to optimize taxation, specially if the money come in splitted up over time.

Obviously writers at the higher levels will have an accountant, and most of them have probably filed as S Corps to maximize their deductions, but that aside, percentage-wise they're paying more from that first-dollar number than if they were a W2 employee. 

Imagine if a studio gets so desperate for an original release that they go dumpster diving through their old scripts and find something and get some big name director to film it with no changes to the script lmao

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

653px-Sony_Pictures_old_logo.svg.png

Marisa Tomei is....

Agent May Parker

In theatres Summer 2019

Edited by eddyxx

Now I get why there were reboots of some old school game and reality shows being kicked around like Battle of the Network Stars (which I admit, I would watch, especially if it was the CW team vs all the other networks combined:). 

I think reality tv could have a rebirth again for a few years if the strike happens...it could use one...

Yeah, they've got to remember the damage the last strike caused, given that it was only ten years ago. I still remember it. And now with SO much more scripted shows and the importance of television, I just think the studios would want to come to an agreement sooner rather than later on this.

Edited by adrianarose27
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Now I get why there were reboots of some old school game and reality shows being kicked around like Battle of the Network Stars (which I admit, I would watch, especially if it was the CW team vs all the other networks combined:). 

I think reality tv could have a rebirth again for a few years if the strike happens...it could use one...

uhg.

Except Cake Boss.

And Property Brothers.

But I BET they have writers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, adrianarose27 said:

Yeah, they've got to remember the damage the last strike caused, given that it was only ten years ago. I still remember it. And now with SO much more scripted shows and the importance of television, I just think the studios would want to come to an agreement sooner rather than later on this.

Let's hope they actually get on it this time.

Anything like what happened in 2007 and 2008 would be bad, especially in today's economic climate.

13 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Seems TV is already in a boom quality wise as a whole. FX, HBO, the networks, Netflix, TNT, Showtime, content is on a roll. Much better than even 6 years ago. More more emphasis on scripted and less on reality and gimmick shows.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Seems TV is already in a boom quality wise as a whole. FX, HBO, the networks, Netflix, TNT, Showtime, content is on a roll. Much better than even 6 years ago. More more emphasis on scripted and less on reality and gimmick shows.

Main network tv isn't that great.  It's gotten repetitive across shows (same plot, different characters - repeat)...maybe it's b/c good writers are stretched too thin...or maybe I'm watching the wrong shows on network tv (since I tend to live on CW and CBS for network channels)...

And good reality can be great.  I still count Survivor on my watch list in season 30+ (or so)...I'd love to discover another new concept before I'm watching Survivor 60...competitive and real-ish tv can be compelling tv in the right hands with the right concept...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, aabattery said:

but my american gods :sadben:

Thats only 8 episodes and probably mostly finished, if not completely finished. So it will be fine.

More concerned how this affects Game of Thrones :(

Edited by eXtacy

6 minutes ago, franfar said:

Is there a timeframe for negotiations?

I think they return to negotiations tomorrow, and this vote was to show the studios they had the authorization to stand behind what they are negotiating.  But one article said the two sides are something like $200M apart, with the current studio side offer being about $185M, so I can't see them getting it resolved before May 2 (or some date near then, I may not have it exactly) when the WGA contract runs out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Panda said:

From the studio perspective, they'd be better off financially by just giving them the 300m.  

It really depend what the % of streaming would mean long term, a bit like last time went they hold of on the 8% on dvd revenue demand and won, I wonder how much it saved the studio the last 8 year's (someone know ?) it must be an impressive fortune.

Also I imagine that from the studio perspective, they know that the writer lost a lot last time, not just during the missed work, but they made much less after the strike than before it. Maybe they think they will accept something much lower because of it.

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It really depend what the % of streaming would mean long term, a bit like last time went they hold of on the 8% on dvd revenue demand and won, I wonder how much it saved the studio the last 8 year's (someone know ?) it must be an impressive fortune.

Also I imagine that from the studio perspective, they know that the writer lost a lot last time, not just during the missed work, but they made much less after the strike than before it. Maybe they think they will accept something much lower because of it.

From a TV perspective though missing your fall season (or simply having a really bad one) could sink the show.  That's a big difference this time around.

Movies, you can dig up some unused scripts, eat some losses for delaying a few productions, and overall be fine.

With so many scripted TV Shows, a struggling TV industry already, and little reality TV to fallback on, these are some pretty heavy short term losses to eat.

• Like 1

Struggling tv, but growing streaming/HBO/Fx type tv and if I understand that were the argument lie, I would imagine the industry (and the writer) suspect that in 10 year's that were the money will be, couple of percentage of difference now could be a 2025 fortune.

Last time I think the studio won by holding off and writer did loose, no ?

Edited by Barnack