trifle

WGA authorizes strike with 96% vote | tentative agreement reached at 1am PDT

Just now, Barnack said:

Struggling tv, but growing streaming/HBO type tv and if I understand that were the argument lie, I would imagine the industry (and the writer) suspect that in 10 year's that were the money will be, couple of percentage of difference now could be a 2025 fortune.

Last time I think the studio won by holding off and writer did loose, no ?

Yes, the WGA has been behind the curve (in terms of the final approved contract) on every iteration of home video / dvd / streaming, as far as I know.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

All reality shows have writers. The production companies get around that (and the union issue) by calling them "story producers".

That is one of the most disingenuous things I have ever heard.   If you looked up 'story producer' in a thesaurus, how could you not find 'writer'?

25 minutes ago, trifle said:

That is one of the most disingenuous things I have ever heard.   If you looked up 'story producer' in a thesaurus, how could you not find 'writer'?

Alas, this is how they pretend reality shows "aren't scripted". And yes, technically they don't have a script beforehand. But the field producers -- working off notes from the story producers, who're overseeing the footage -- will suggest lines or occasionally dramatic moments for the talent to act out in their own way. And it's the story producers work through the transcripts and all the logged footage to pull bits together and figure out which storylines to create and follow and emphasize. So yeah, it's heavily shaped and they're basically writing every episode, but they don't get credit as writers (nor do they get residuals). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aabattery said:

So what movies do you guys think are gonna be hurt the most by this? I have a feeling that all those X-Men movies they announced the other day could be particularly vulnerable.

New Mutants final draft is ready I think. Deadpool 2 may have a lot of improvisation from Reynolds and co. so it will probably make its date too. Don't see Dark Phoenix making its 2018 date unless Kinberg gets to direct and write. But I assume WGA would not be cool with him writing even if he gets the director's job? 

8 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

New Mutants final draft is ready I think. Deadpool 2 may have a lot of improvisation from Reynolds and co. so it will probably make its date too. Don't see Dark Phoenix making its 2018 date unless Kinberg gets to direct and write. But I assume WGA would not be cool with him writing even if he gets the director's job? 

Kinberg is a WGA members and everything (full studio movie, that the kind of movie surely impacted).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

There's a lot more to screenwriting than just dialogue. No matter how much is improvised, DP2 will be heavily effected. 

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

Rowling is not part of WGA? 

Also, I guess Aquaman will indeed be the only DCEU film in 2018 now. :P Damn, the last strike killed George Miller's Justice League Mortal too. 

She wrote a movie for WB, a studio bound by WGA contracts, so she is indeed a WGA member now. 

8 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

There's a lot more to screenwriting than just dialogue. No matter how much is improvised, DP2 will be heavily effected. 

I assumed they are into a couple of initial drafts by now, but let's see. With the way things have been going with this project, I wouldn't be surprised if Reynolds is willing to take even more creative control if he so desires.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

She wrote a movie for WB, a studio bound by WGA contracts, so she is indeed a WGA member now. 

Cannot find her on this:

https://apps.wga.org/agency/findwriter.aspx

Or the east wga thought.

She tend to be using writing name maybe ?

How does a movie become a WB movie, instead of a Heyday film distributed by WB ? Are the rules clear on this ?

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Cannot find her on this:

https://apps.wga.org/agency/findwriter.aspx

Or the east wga thought.

She tend to be using writing name maybe ?

How does a movie become a WB movie, instead of a Heyday film distributed by WB ? Are the rules clear on this ?

I'm not familiar with the ins and outs, but in this particular case I don't think there's a lot of wiggle room. WB put up the money to produce the money so it's not a foreign production, it's within WGA purview. She didn't use another name on the movie, but it's possible (since she's fairly high profile) she chose not be be part of their public listing. 

Just now, Noctis said:

But she's filthy rich...she doesn't have to stop writing.

It's about supporting her less financially fortunate peers lol. Unless she is not a member at all. It would still be kinda tasteless and further distance her from WGA but she is one of the only people who can risk getting into their bad books.

• Like 2

I remember the last time the strike happened, there was a bit of a rallying call of "Pencils down!" which mostly served as a reminder to anyone who had a dual role that they couldn't write anything down.

Still, because of all the fudging that can be done (either with release dates, nudging production schedules around, or just plain bullshitting their way through, a la TF2 and its not-at-all-a-script outline that they used to shoot while Bay or someone made up dialogue for the actors to say right before shooting) movies are probably going to be okay. It might be interesting to see how the cinematic universes handle it, though.

TV is going to be really risky, though. It's so much of a bigger, more important piece of the pie for studios, and you can't really fudge things like you can with TV. The metaphor of a TV show as a train that's rolling down the track and can't be stopped so you have to keep working to lay new track ahead of it is apt. Without writers, there's nobody to lay that foundation, and without the ability to keep production going, audience loss is a huge danger. I'd guess that several shows won't survive, especially if there was a question of them possibly ending. A strike would make it definite.

This should probably incentivize the studios to play ball.

The streaming services have it a bit easier, at least. Netflix probably has target release dates, but it's not like it aims for a specific fall release date or anything.

As an upside, it's possible this will clear out a lot of cruft. Maybe we'll see more original ideas, both movie and TV-wise, coming out of this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

She's probably part of the British writing guild. Has she had anything filmed in the US? I don't know if it is different for actors but the HP kids didn't get their SAG membership till they filmed something in the US. I remember one of them talking about finally getting their sag card. 

Thanks to the last strike we had wonderful gems such as TF2 and X Men Origins Wolverine... :P

Seriously, it's going to affect movies, obviously, but looking at 2008/2009 schedule, we still had a lot of huge tentpoles.

TV shows will be the most afftected.

3 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

Given everything I know about her (not tons but enough), I don't think she'd choose to be a scab. 

I think what Noctis meant is he sees no reason she should stop working on her material in private, and then turning it over to the studio once the strike is over (as opposed to actively working with the studio during the strike).

Harry Potter is her baby after all, it's different from basically asking a mercenary to go full stop.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1