newbie BO buff

Indonesia Box Office 2023 - thanks for updating

4 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

Aaaaah finally a thread for this promising market :)

I will keep updating this thread. I also now have compiled data for several years back, and for the major franchises. I think I will lump of all that in one thread.

However, I have difficulty directing an image from the clipboard into a thread reply, such as this one. It worked on the first message of the thread. I am asking on the forum support for help regarding this.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

indonesia is a potential big market, could be the next SK in asia in term of box office, but the systematic box office tracking is not in pace with its growth

Alamak, tell me about it! :P

We don't even have a release calendar for local movies. At this date, only 3 movies coming out in May are known.

We don't have tracking, forecast, proper box office reporting. There is filmindonesia.or.id (from which the local movie numbers were culled) that reports only the latest 5 film each week, plus Top 15 each year.

And yet now as per 2016 MPAA Theatrical Market Statistics, Indonesia is now at number 15, below Spain and Netherlands, above Taiwan, Argentina, Hong Kong, Poland and Turkey.

19 minutes ago, newbie BO buff said:

Alamak, tell me about it! :P

We don't even have a release calendar for local movies. At this date, only 3 movies coming out in May are known.

We don't have tracking, forecast, proper box office reporting. There is filmindonesia.or.id (from which the local movie numbers were culled) that reports only the latest 5 film each week, plus Top 15 each year.

And yet now as per 2016 MPAA Theatrical Market Statistics, Indonesia is now at number 15, below Spain and Netherlands, above Taiwan, Argentina, Hong Kong, Poland and Turkey.

if there is the proper tracking of indo box office, surely it will attract the box-office lovers eye's, indo's market is not only big, but are also really love hollywood movie, I heard conjuring 2 made $12m in here, which was massive as hell!!!

23 minutes ago, Olive said:

How big will GOTG2 be?

Quite big, but not monstrously big like F8. 

F7 is, by my reckoning, the highest grossing import movies in Indonesia. $16.78 million in gross, roughly 6.77 million tickets sold. Only beaten by a local movie, Jangkrik Boss Part 1, which sold 6.85 million tickets.

Anyway, back to GOTG.

Back in 2014, GOTG grossed less than Winter Soldier in Indonesia. $4.8 million compared to $6.9 million.

As further comparison, Thor 2 did $7.4 million, Ant-Man $8.38 million, Strange $7.9 million.

So it still got buoyed by the Marvel brand, but not so much. (Ultron and IM3 are 2nd and 3rd top grossers behind F7, with $15.5 million and $15.3 million respectively).

(I have all the MCU data nicely tabulated, but still can't paste the image here).

GOTG starts playing tomorrow, and tickets went on sale since Saturday. And it was still relatively quite on the weekend, only just recently picked up. But I still don't see near-sold-out shows like with F8.

So there you have it, we'll see in a few days how it goes.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

if there is the proper tracking of indo box office, surely it will attract the box-office lovers eye's, indo's market is not only big, but are also really love hollywood movie, I heard conjuring 2 made $12m in here, which was massive as hell!!!

$12.5 million actually, which made it either the 2nd or 3rd top grosser of 2016. No.1 was BVS, $14 million.

The Indonesian market has a special love affair with supernatural horror movies.

Even a spinoff like Annabelle did superbly, in 2014 it grossed more than X-Men:DOFP, CA:WS and GOTG!

There was a huge Valak cosplay craze last year, and I have zero doubt that The Nun will hit it big in 2018.

This year, people are already marking their calendars for an Indonesian style "nobar" (nonton bareng = going to the movies in groups) of Annabelle 2. We'll keep an eye on that one as well. 

• Like 1

F8 has passed 6 million admissions, becoming the 2nd highest grossing import movie of all time, and 3rd highest grossing overall.

Data was as of 23 April, and by 26 April the screen numbers have dropped significantly due to the arrival of GOTG2.

Let's see if it can pass F7.

Annabelle 2 will probably gross more than GOTG lmao.

I'll never get why our people love horror so much, our local horror films being generally shit not withstanding. In other news, I'm curious about how Raditya Dika's (Basically the Indonesian Adam Sandler, only more tolerable) new movie is doing.

Edited by Captain H
  • Like 1

Finally!! A thread about Indonesia box office.

I live in Indonesia, and I've been reading this forum for years, yet I've never seen Indonesia's thread or post anything, but I was just so excited when I saw this thread. I know it's hard to find Indonesia box office index. I only can find it in the-numbers.com and filmindonesia.or.id for local movie. Btw, what happened with boxofficemojo? They used to release Indonesia box office index, but suddenly they just stopped.

For GOTG2, I watched it in imax on opening day at 9.15 pm. It was full and people seems really enjoyed it. I think it would be a solid run, maybe Doctor Strange's level.

GOTG2 also benefited by weak competitors. There are 3 new local movies release this week, but all of them look like very weak.

Sorry for my bad english, I'm still learning ??.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Captain H said:

I'll never get why our people love horror so much, our local horror films being generally shit not withstanding. In other news, I'm curious about how Raditya Dika's (Basically the Indonesian Adam Sandler, only more tolerable) new movie is doing.

Yes, totally possible.

The three local movies sandwiched between F8 and GOTG2 all got crushed and underperformed.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Captain H said:

I think our people love horror so much because that type of movies are so fun to watch it with friends. I admit, I do watch horror movies too in cinema, but I always watch it in group, it always fun to see your friends are screaming because some cheap jumpscare.

Raditya Dika new movie is pretty much a solid run, it already sold almost 400k tickets. Of course not as big as his last film (Hangout), since they opened the film at the same weekend with FF8, the competitor was just too big. Personally, I've never been so much fans of Raditya Dika film, though I still watch all of his film. I think the film was just another Raditya Dika movie, manipulative emotion and really cheap jokes. I don't understand why people keep coming to watch his movies.

• Like 1

Back in 2015, F7 opened at $6.62m, finished at $16.76m, a multiplier of 2.53x.

If F8 plays similarly, it will end up with an eye-popping $21m, highly unlikely given the arrival of GOTG2.

As for GOTG2 itself, it has achieved 70% of the first installment's gross in one weekend.

It if plays out like Doctor Strange (2.53x) it will end up with $8.63 million, while if it's more like Ant-Man (3.08x, the humor!) then it will reach a quite lofty $10.47m. I'm guessing somewhere in between.

• Like 2