newbie BO buff

Indonesia Box Office 2023 - thanks for updating

Just came back from seeing GOTG2. Wow, how much is the budget for this one? 

Had some good laughs but a bit bored also in a couple of spots.

Anyway, F8 is now officially THE #1 IMPORT MOVIE OF ALL TIME IN INDONESIA.

It currently stands at $18.1m, handily topping F7's previous record by 7.35%.

Admission wise, this could also hold #1 spot, beating Jangkrik Boss Part 1's previous record of 6.858 million tickets sold. F8 looks to be driving 6.9 million pair of butts or more into cinema seats.

Outstanding.

(note: I'm not a fan of the series so I have not seen it).

• Like 2

Opening today 3 May in Indonesia: The Circle. Set to be ignored and forgotten.

Opening next week:

9 May: King Arthur

10 May: Alien Covenant

Looking back at GOTG2, I think the team talks like 12-13 year olds who just found out about dirty jokes and can't stop talking about it, hahahaha. It gets tiresome pretty quick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Rambo said:

POTC, WW, The Mummy? hows the buzz for these and which genre tends to do well in Indonesia?

We don't have BO tracking, so I'll try my best to answer your question based on what I know.

Pirates 4 dropped sharply from 3. Pirates 3 was $2.138m, Pirates 4 only $1.309m. This despite number of screens in Indonesia increasing significantly from 2007 to 2011.

WW will do well, as is all superhero movies (in relation to your genre question).

The Mummy will do just fine, because of Tom Cruise. GA will see it as "the new Tom Cruise movie".

One particular genre that does very well in Indonesia : supernatural horror. Last year Conjuring 2 was 2nd top grossing import movie, second only to BVS

• Like 1

On 5/4/2017 at 1:02 PM, newbie BO buff said:

We don't have BO tracking, so I'll try my best to answer your question based on what I know.

Pirates 4 dropped sharply from 3. Pirates 3 was $2.138m, Pirates 4 only $1.309m. This despite number of screens in Indonesia increasing significantly from 2007 to 2011.

WW will do well, as is all superhero movies (in relation to your genre question).

The Mummy will do just fine, because of Tom Cruise. GA will see it as "the new Tom Cruise movie".

One particular genre that does very well in Indonesia : supernatural horror. Last year Conjuring 2 was 2nd top grossing import movie, second only to BVS. 

Civil War is no.1 movie of 2016, with about IDR 200 bil (15 mil USD)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, unbidj said:

I read it somewhere last year, I dont remember on what site exactly (deadline or forbes ??)

I can only find in on a reddit thread, but that's good enough, will update accordingly. Thanks!

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/4wbkli/how_come_captain_america_civil_war_box_office/

... which looks like a quote from Deadline.

found it! Forbes not Deadline

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dongroves/2016/06/01/java-is-bubbling/#7686b34238ca

Do you have the final numbers for Rogue One?

Edited by newbie BO buff

5 hours ago, newbie BO buff said:

I can only find in on a reddit thread, but that's good enough, will update accordingly. Thanks!

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/4wbkli/how_come_captain_america_civil_war_box_office/

... which looks like a quote from Deadline.

found it! Forbes not Deadline

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dongroves/2016/06/01/java-is-bubbling/#7686b34238ca

Do you have the final numbers for Rogue One?

No, I don't

On 5/4/2017 at 11:32 AM, newbie BO buff said:

One particular genre that does very well in Indonesia : supernatural horror. Last year Conjuring 2 was 2nd top grossing import movie, second only to BVS

If Horror is sell in indonesia then The Mummy has chances to top this year if it is marketed as horror movie?

7 hours ago, John Rambo said:

If Horror is sell in indonesia then The Mummy has chances to top this year if it is marketed as horror movie?

It's a specific kind of horror that does well in Indonesia, namely supernatural horror. Evil demonic possessions, haunted houses, exorcisms, the lot.

The Mummy would be better off sold as a Tom Cruise vehicle. Even the mediocre Jack Reacher 2 grabbed more that 1 million attendance.

I'm wonder if you manege to find titanic admission in 1997, according to whatever-sources, titanic was once the highest grossing film in indo until ayat-ayat cinta in 2008....

btw, ayat-ayat cinta song by rossa was too nice to just listen dozen times.....

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I'm wonder if you manege to find titanic admission in 1997, according to whatever-sources, titanic was once the highest grossing film in indo until ayat-ayat cinta in 2008....

btw, ayat-ayat cinta song by rossa was too nice to just listen dozen times.....

Titanic's final reported gross back in 1998 (Indo release date was 6 January 1998): $2,989,269

I have no idea what was the average ticket price back then, so cannot estimate the attendance. Care to throw a number?

Just for fun, Ayat-ayat Cinta nabbed 3,581,947 ticket buyers back in 2008. A short-lived record, since it was obliterated by Laskar Pelangi just a few months later.

Before Ayat-ayat Cinta, the local movie record holder was Ada Apa Dengan Cinta with 2.7 million admissions. So that's the number that Titanic has to beat.

It doesn't help that 1998 was the Financial Crisis year, so the exchange rate was batshit crazy.

I'll let you do the estimate :P

• Like 1